Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Debit card lost.. Will this be enough to get me on the plane?

Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Hi there,

Have a booking CMB-BKK(stop)-HKG in J that I made some time ago. Between booking and now, my debit card was stolen and replaced. I sent an email to TG and they basically said that I need to purchase a new ticket and the other one will be refunded... Okay, so I head down to the CMB office and show them the email and tell them what needs to be done and they will not even touch the ticket unless I pay a 3000LKR (approx $25) change fee. Needless to say I wasn't happy about this, so after discussing it for about 30 mins I decided to leave. I sent an email to TG explaining the circumstances on 3rd July and never received a reply.

The thing is, I do actually have the following information:
  • Photocopy of the front and back of the original card used for the booking (pretty lucky since I had to send this to CZ for a flight change)
  • Print out from the bank showing my name and all the credit /debit card numbers I have held (including this one)
  • Copy of my bank statement showing my name and the charges from thai along with the last 4 digits of the card used to pay.

Surely this is enough to prove that I am the account holder and made the charges from my own account??

The only worrying thing is that apparently there is no ticket office at CMB so once I am at check-in that is it!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:19 am

All they wanted from me in HKG was the card number, not the card itself.

Just as well, because I didn't have the original card since a new one with a different number had been issued.

11277m
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by pogonation
The thing is, I do actually have the following information:
  • Photocopy of the front and back of the original card used for the booking (pretty lucky since I had to send this to CZ for a flight change)
  • Print out from the bank showing my name and all the credit /debit card numbers I have held (including this one)
  • Copy of my bank statement showing my name and the charges from thai along with the last 4 digits of the card used to pay.

Surely this is enough to prove that I am the account holder and made the charges from my own account??

You'll be alright!

Snacky
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Ultimately, you are taking a risk -- they have advised you what to do, you are considering not taking their advice.

Question -- is your peace of mind and time worth more or less than $25 ?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pdsuk
Ultimately, you are taking a risk -- they have advised you what to do, you are considering not taking their advice.

Question -- is your peace of mind and time worth more or less than $25 ?
Actually I took their advice but they did not hold to the agreement they had with me (full refund no penalty) so I had to abort.

Anyway,
They finally got back to me by email and said that I was never supposed to go to the ticket office, but was supposed to have all this done at the check-in counter in CMB airport. Seems strange since there is no ticketing office in CMB airport but at least I have this in writing. I will see what happens when I am at the airport and report back here ^
Old Jul 28, 2013, 5:23 am

Oh dear all this because of 16 quid.

So you want TG to change what is clearly in their terms and conditions because you managed to get your debit card stolen.

If you get a ticket agent at CMB who fully understands the T&Cs then you can wave all the bits of paper around in the world and it wont make the slightest difference.

You may well find that you have wasted everybody's time because you couldn't look after your own belongings. Why oh why is it TGs fault your debit card was stolen.

If I am in the queue behind you whilst you are huffing and puffing waving your arms and pointing out email print offs I will not be to impressed. The reason being you are now wasting my time because you can not take care of a very important item a debit card, which didn't belong to you in the first place but belongs to your bank. (read their T&Cs)

Anyway good luck with your endeavor. I hope its worth all the effort. Maybe four or so pints of beer.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ayeaway
Oh dear all this because of 16 quid.

So you want TG to change what is clearly in their terms and conditions because you managed to get your debit card stolen.

If you get a ticket agent at CMB who fully understands the T&Cs then you can wave all the bits of paper around in the world and it wont make the slightest difference.

You may well find that you have wasted everybody's time because you couldn't look after your own belongings. Why oh why is it TGs fault your debit card was stolen.

If I am in the queue behind you whilst you are huffing and puffing waving your arms and pointing out email print offs I will not be to impressed. The reason being you are now wasting my time because you can not take care of a very important item a debit card, which didn't belong to you in the first place but belongs to your bank. (read their T&Cs)

Anyway good luck with your endeavor. I hope its worth all the effort. Maybe four or so pints of beer.

What an ignorant and pathetic post !
Why would I pay £16 that I am not required to pay (this was explicitly stated in the email they sent me)? I never wanted to change anything that is in their terms and conditions?.. I think I am at least, if not more familiar with TG's T's and C's than you are so please point me in the direction of whatever you are referring to? I had my wallet mugged at knifepoint on the way back from work. I do look after my belongings but this was a case where I was not willing to risk getting knifed (maybe you would carry a taser or a gun to "look after your belongings")! As someone who travels with TG quite a bit, I am well aware that the reason they need the card is to input the full number to allow travel and to verify that the name on the card matches the pax name, so I do not think it is unreasonable to ask if a photocopy of the front and back of the card will suffice. And at no stage would I be huffing and puffing, and if they asked me to purchase a new ticket I would have no problem with this at all, provided they did not charge the refund fee (you will have noticed I have no problem with this since I already tried to do it at the ticket office)

4)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by pogonation
What an ignorant and pathetic post !
Why would I pay £16 that I am not required to pay (this was explicitly stated in the email they sent me)? I never wanted to change anything that is in their terms and conditions?.. I think I am at least, if not more familiar with TG's T's and C's than you are so please point me in the direction of whatever you are referring to? I had my wallet mugged at knifepoint on the way back from work. I do look after my belongings but this was a case where I was not willing to risk getting knifed (maybe you would carry a taser or a gun to "look after your belongings")! As someone who travels with TG quite a bit, I am well aware that the reason they need the card is to input the full number to allow travel and to verify that the name on the card matches the pax name, so I do not think it is unreasonable to ask if a photocopy of the front and back of the card will suffice. And at no stage would I be huffing and puffing, and if they asked me to purchase a new ticket I would have no problem with this at all, provided they did not charge the refund fee (you will have noticed I have no problem with this since I already tried to do it at the ticket office)

4)
Fair enough you were mugged at knife point and quite right to hand over your wallet when put that way.

Now all this is to with preventing fraud towards both TG and your bank otherwise your bank would have just issued a new card with the same 16 digits on the front as they do when replacing an expired card.

If you checked your bank statement one month and found that X hundreds of pounds had been taken from your account by TG for flights you didn't book or take then I am sure you would be more upset than having to pay $25.

TG are not being greedy. They are protecting themselves your bank and YOU.

$25 is a reasonable admin fee. You should see what some other airlines charge.

As it is your stolen card is still out there and maybe someone might try and book a couple of flights on it. What then? You would expect TG to do its job then as it is now.

I only fly TG 30 times a year so I am sure you know better than me ^

Last edited by ayeaway; Jul 28, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.