Search

Which flight would you take?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Which flight would you take?

Hey all,

Finally cashing in a slice of my UA pts and doing a trip with the wife from DC to Samui and Phuket. Have hotels set on pts but trying to decide on flights. 2 options:

1. IAD-LHR on UA in F then LHR-BKK on Thai in B on an A340. Final flt gets into Samui at 8:30am.

2. IAD-CDG On UA in F the CDG-BKK on Thai in F on a 777-300ER. Final flt gets into Samui at 4:30pm.

Is it worth losing 8 hours on the island to get 1st on Thai? We'd have a 12 hour layover in Paris and can go into the city and walk around for the day (assuming we can leave luggage in the 1st lounge). Just not sure if it's worth it. Flew biz a few years ago from USA-BKK and it was good, not great.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts/ideas/suggestions.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Another option may be MUC-BKK on a 747 still arriving late into Samui. Not sure if the 747 will be the refitted model though.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:04 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dcislander

2. IAD-CDG On UA in F the CDG-BKK on Thai in F on a 777-300ER. Final flt gets into Samui at 4:30pm.

Is it worth losing 8 hours on the island to get 1st on Thai? .
I would lose 8 hours to experience TG in F Suites on B77W. The only thing is that you will then never want to experience UA F again
Old May 1, 2012, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Would help to know your date of travel. I think that TG is discontinuing its evening flight from CDG.
Otherwise, the program of having a visit of Paris in-between two longhauls would be a good idea. The 77W F suite is so much better than the old angled lie-flat on the A340.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I just flew the CDG 77W in F and it was Fantastic. Go for it.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:28 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by brunos
Would help to know your date of travel. I think that TG is discontinuing its evening flight from CDG.
Good point... but the OP said the CDG-BKK flight is operated with B77W. Anyway... it is a great idea to double check the aircraft type operating the flight...
Old May 1, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Stick with the above option. Enjoy TG first class.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Just checked the flights on Thai's website. The CDG-BKK flight is TG933 21:20-14:20. Aircraft listed at 777-300 (777-300ER on UA, not sure if there's a diff). How can you tell if it an updated TG plane?

Other option is flying MUN-BKK on TG925 747-200. I read that TG was upgrading their 747's too.

Knowing that the flt is 7 mo away and the planes may change, which would be a better call, the 777 or 747?

Thanks all.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Also, the flight is scheduled for November 29 '12.
Old May 2, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Just checked the flights on Thai's website. The CDG-BKK flight is TG933 21:20-14:20. Aircraft listed at 777-300 (777-300ER on UA, not sure if there's a diff). How can you tell if it an updated TG plane?

Other option is flying MUN-BKK on TG925 747-200. I read that TG was upgrading their 747's too.

Knowing that the flt is 7 mo away and the planes may change, which would be a better call, the 777 or 747?

Thanks all.
You shouldn't trust aircraft descriptions on UA as they are typically wrong - TG does not operate 747-200s for example. They have accidentally got the CDG aircraft correct as they add ER to all 777s regardless of whether they are or not. CDG is a 777-300ER...that is the only TG 777 with an F cabin.

CDG is a safer bet than MUC on a 747 if you are looking for suite style F - MUC may be scheduled on new new F but could conceivably be swapped for current 747 F.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Think I get it now. So the 777-300s are all suites ( the Thai website only says 777-300. It does not say ER) while some 747s are upgraded and some are not? Found this link on a post that seems to I imply that the MUN-BKK flt is now the upgraded 747.

http://translate.google.com/translat...x.php%3Fp%3D91

I am flying in December--think its just too risky to take the MUN flt (which would get me in a day earlier)

Also---thanks much for everyone's help and advice. Much appreciated.
Old May 2, 2012, 5:39 am

Think I get it now. So the 777-300s are all suites ( the Thai website only says 777-300. It does not say ER) while some 747s are upgraded and some are not? Found this link on a post that seems to I imply that the MUN-BKK flt is now the upgraded 747.

http://translate.google.com/translat...x.php%3Fp%3D91

I am flying in December--think its just too risky to take the MUN flt (which would get me in a day earlier)

Also---thanks much for everyone's help and advice. Much appreciated.
The TG website says 777-300 - the aircraft is 777-300ER. There are other 777-300s which do not have F and therefore no suites. If you book F on a 777 you are on a 777-300ER.

By the time you fly MUC may be operated by a 747 with a newer F product than the one in your link...it is scheduled to start appearing on MUC by Aug 16th...The seat map for TG925 Nov 29th shows this NEW F cabin...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...ss-suites.html

...the one if your link is the current several year old F. There is also currently an even older F.
Old May 2, 2012, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
Otherwise, the program of having a visit of Paris in-between two longhauls would be a good idea. The 77W F suite is so much better than the old angled lie-flat on the A340.
Ouch. November 29-December 11. F is showing up as an available awards ticket on United. Other option is MUC on November 28.
Old May 2, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Boy would it suck to book an F award tix on the PM CDG-BKK for Nov 29 and have the flt cancelled!!

Wheresbybagba---how can you tell from the Thai site that TG925 on 11/29 is the new suites F. When I search on the Thai site it only says 747 All Series Passenger. Where can u view the seat map?

I am leaning MUC over CDG. I like the Munich airport better (thought the non-LH 1st lounge is kinda lame) and get in a full day earlier. If both planes have a shot at suites... Avoid CDG?

Last edited by Dcislander; May 2, 2012 at 11:46 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 12:56 am

Boy would it suck to book an F award tix on the PM CDG-BKK for Nov 29 and have the flt cancelled!!

Wheresbybagba---how can you tell from the Thai site that TG925 on 11/29 is the new suites F. When I search on the Thai site it only says 747 All Series Passenger. Where can u view the seat map?

I am leaning MUC over CDG. I like the Munich airport better (thought the non-LH 1st lounge is kinda lame) and get in a full day earlier. If both planes have a shot at suites... Avoid CDG?
You need to make a dummy booking including entering passenger details...at that point you are offered the option to do seat selection at the next step.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.