Thai dropping Premium Economy LAX-BKK?

Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:25 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
I suspect the A345s will just sit it out at DMK until TG can convince someone to take them off their hands.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Cameron38
I wonder what they will do with the A345's?
Sell them of course, or probably they finally found a buyer !

Even TG admitted before they had a very hard time selling these 345, they had been trying for years to get rid of them, as they are just not making any money, unless they do the SQ way and convert to all C class layout. When SQ had 2 class layout on the 345 flying LAX-SIN, they said they can only break even but not making any money at all, that's why they have to convert into one class only and finally works.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:13 pm

This was REALLY bad news for me -- I had accumulated US Air (thru Grand Slam) and UA miles to use for 2 future business class on the LAX-BKK route.

Have seen others mention SQ as an option, but the flight schedule that I saw was FAR worse -- looked like LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK.

I'm thinking my best use of Star Alliance miles for this route is probably going to be either thru ANA or by sucking it up and staying on Thai (Asiana schedule looked pretty bad, too).
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Sell them of course, or probably they finally found a buyer !

Even TG admitted before they had a very hard time selling these 345, they had been trying for years to get rid of them, as they are just not making any money, unless they do the SQ way and convert to all C class layout. When SQ had 2 class layout on the 345 flying LAX-SIN, they said they can only break even but not making any money at all, that's why they have to convert into one class only and finally works.
How many does TG have in their fleet? I just came in from LHR in one of those ( different config I assume ) but still same type. I guess Governments don't care about Economics, Germany bought at least one as their "Air Force One" if I am correct.

Never mind, I just found it. They have ten, 4 of the 500 series, which had the Premier Coach seats, and 6 of the 60 series, the one I came in from LHR with 8 F seats.

Last edited by Exleftseat; Feb 2, 2012 at 2:15 am Reason: Wikipedia answered it!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:21 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
How many does TG have in their fleet? I just came in from LHR in one of those ( different config I assume ) but still same type. I guess Governments don't care about Economics, Germany bought at least one as their "Air Force One" if I am correct.

Never mind, I just found it. They have ten, 4 of the 500 series, which had the Premier Coach seats, and 6 of the 60 series, the one I came in from LHR with 8 F seats.
500 & 600 are different beasts - the 500 is an ultra long haul aircraft...was the only option for routes like BKK- NYC & BKK-LAX until the 777LR came along.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Darn.. I was looking at switching over to TG from Oneworld this year for resaons both the direct flight and PE, but I guess it won't make any sense now. I can still do PHX-DFW-NRT-BKK on AA and JAL codeshares and get to Bangkok and back without having to shack up in a hotel for a night as well as get miles + copay upgrade on AA for the trans-pac. Of course the state of AA is in a bit of flux as well so who knows what will happen there...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by footypjman
This was REALLY bad news for me -- I had accumulated US Air (thru Grand Slam) and UA miles to use for 2 future business class on the LAX-BKK route.

Have seen others mention SQ as an option, but the flight schedule that I saw was FAR worse -- looked like LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK.

I'm thinking my best use of Star Alliance miles for this route is probably going to be either thru ANA or by sucking it up and staying on Thai (Asiana schedule looked pretty bad, too).
You can go:

LAX-NRT-BKK (NRT BKK on TG)

or

SFO-ICN-BKK (Asiana)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:39 pm

EVA excellent alternative

Just returned to LAX from BKK via TPE. Yes they are not Star Alliance members but I was able to use EVA miles to save on my PE fare.

Service, food and Flight Attendants are a step above Thai Air in my book. The planes are in excellent shape. Arrival and departure times are similar to Thai Air. Yes it's not non-stop but in my book it's a great alternative as the Thai Air non-stops from LAX are going away.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:58 am

Programs: 1K, BA Silver, SPG Plat, HH
This is a real bummer. I'm a UA 1k and I just got turned on to this as a route option LAX->BKK->BLR which I need to do at least 4x per year. I did this route in Dec PE to BKK and then Biz to BLR. It was a great option at a reasonable price and decent timing.

What a bummer, that's 4x round trips TG will lose from me this year :-(
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: most of them
Bangkok Post reports that as of May 1 the non-stop will cease. Apparently it's cheaper to park the A345s than to fly them.

service will be via ICN

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...non-stop-to-us
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
The article says they're going to use 77Ws on this route. Does this mean that they're going to have to take them off of other routes? If so then I guess they're also going to have F as well? That could be considered a good trade-off.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: TG Gold
Originally Posted by DaveSFO
The article says they're going to use 77Ws on this route. Does this mean that they're going to have to take them off of other routes? If so then I guess they're also going to have F as well? That could be considered a good trade-off.
I think the article is wrong about aircraft, B777-200ER(77E) with C30 Y262 is the one for LAX from 01 May.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by footypjman

Same here, I xferred Starwood points to ANA in order to use the THai LAS-BKK flight. I thought Asiana did not look that bad and more availability than ANA. You may look at flights out of SFO also, but if you live in the LA area you probably wouldn't want to.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:37 am

Does anybody see the non stop coming back ever?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:14 pm

I doubt it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.