FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   TG vs. CX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1304145-tg-vs-cx.html)

Wonderboynyc Jan 18, 2012 9:32 pm

TG vs. CX

I am curious how TG compares to CX. I have flown CX before and would fly them again--but it would require going LAX>HKG>BKK vs. LAX>BKK on TG. How does the LAX>BKK flight compare to CX? It looks on the dates I would fly that TG flies a 340 and CX flies a 773--so no real preference based on aircraft type.

Unfortunately, I have to fly Y with no chance at upgrade on either.:(

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wonderboynyc (Post 17841958)
I am curious how TG compares to CX. I have flown CX before and would fly them again--but it would require going LAX>HKG>BKK vs. LAX>BKK on TG. How does the LAX>BKK flight compare to CX? It looks on the dates I would fly that TG flies a 340 and CX flies a 773--so no real preference based on aircraft type.

Unfortunately, I have to fly Y with no chance at upgrade on either.:(

Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

hmmm... in this case I would probably take Thai airways.

Their A345 is configured for 36' seat pitch on this ultra-long haul - that's a good 4' over the pitch on CX.

Yes it's a very long flight on Thai - but you are served two meals and a substantial snack from what I have read.

The inflight entertainment on Thai is not to the same level as CX, TG is quite a ways back in terms of choice.

However - after a long transpac - maybe better to just get there and get off the plane rather than be concerned with another transfer and flight down to BKK.

I also believe the CX seats are the shell ones - many people report problems with seat comfort on those. They are in the process of converting them back to normal economy ones - but I'm not sure how progressed they are on that yet.

Wonderboynyc Jan 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 17841994)
hmmm... in this case I would probably take Thai airways.

Their A345 is configured for 36' seat pitch on this ultra-long haul - that's a good 4' over the pitch on CX.

Yes it's a very long flight on Thai - but you are served two meals and a substantial snack from what I have read.

The inflight entertainment on Thai is not to the same level as CX, TG is quite a ways back in terms of choice.

However - after a long transpac - maybe better to just get there and get off the plane rather than be concerned with another transfer and flight down to BKK.

I also believe the CX seats are the shell ones - many people report problems with seat comfort on those. They are in the process of converting them back to normal economy ones - but I'm not sure how progressed they are on that yet.

Thanks. I didn't notice the seat pitch difference. That is indeed a deciding factor in addition to avoiding transfer :)

TPJ Jan 19, 2012 5:53 am

I agree - in Y TG is great...

zhaobao Jan 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Just go with your gut feeling. I've been on CX / TG / MH / SQ flights with AVOD and you may argue that one airline can offer a better selection in inflight entertainment over another. However, you may end up not liking the offerings at all. Avoiding transfer is a big plus and a very valid reason to choose TG in your case.

Random Flyer Jan 20, 2012 4:34 pm

If you are not concerned about OW vs *A mileage accrual, to me this is a no-brainer. It has to be the non-stop TG flight.

I have not been on that flight myself but I have done CX in Y LAX-HKG. The flight was full and the seating was cramped. Thai are well known to offer better Y seat pitch in most of their aircraft, and I understand that the 345s they use for LAX-BKK have above TG average pitch. My experiences of other longhaul TG in Y have been favourable.

Both options involve very long flights and whichever you pick you will be very glad to get off at the far end. But I would think that TG would be quite a bit more bearable overall.

The TG Premium Economy gets good reviews if you could stretch to that.

conde Jan 23, 2012 10:46 pm

I agree with the other comments regarding seat comfort and AVOD comparisons. One thing to keep in mind...the TG flights from LAX -> BKK arrive in BKK very early in the morning. If the early arrival time is not an issue, and accruing mileage from a preferred airline alliance is not an issue, then the TG nonstop ought to better suit your needs than CX flight offerings from LAX -> BKK.

conde Jan 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Earlier I suggested TG over CX mainly due to the nonstop flight offering. Unfortunately, after May 1, that option will no longer be available. If a nonstop flight between LAX-BKK is desired, one would need to travel before May 1, 2012. Per the Thai Airways web site, http://thaiairwaysusa.com/flight-inf...formation.html, there is an announcement which posted today that effective Effective May 1, 2012, LAX One Stop service to Bangkok via Seoul-Incheon (ICN), Korea will be available 4 days a week - Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday.

While TG without a nonstop option is still competitive with CX, it would be best to choose the flights of TG or CX with the best times and price.
No more nonstops between LAX and BKK... quite unfortunate, really.