Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways first airline to launch biofuel flights

Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Just came across this article which I found very interesting. Thai is to be the first airline to operate a commercial flight field by biofuel.

I never knew using biofuel was as easy as this. I always expected that if it were possible then the aircraft would need to be redesigned etc. however it appears it is as simple as filling up the tank.

As well as not using up fossil fuels, I wonder if biofuels are a cheaper alternative?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by pogonation
Just came across this article which I found very interesting. Thai is to be the first airline to operate a commercial flight field by biofuel.

I never knew using biofuel was as easy as this. I always expected that if it were possible then the aircraft would need to be redesigned etc. however it appears it is as simple as filling up the tank.

As well as not using up fossil fuels, I wonder if biofuels are a cheaper alternative?
Lufthansa has been operating biofuel flights for months now
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: various
[QUOTE=pogonation;17797464]Just came across this article which I found very interesting. Thai is to be the first airline to operate a commercial flight field by biofuel.

As well as not using up fossil fuels, I wonder if biofuels are a cheaper alternative?[/QUOTE]

Considering most biofuel production anywhere is subsidized, I'd say not really. And since the raw material that biofuels are currently being made from are crowding out other food crops and destroying natural environments such as old-growth forests, I'd say in the long run, this is a recipe for disaster. I'm not seeing biofuels as the saviors of the planet's energy issues, and I think a huge politically-driven brainwashing campaign has been done on an awful lot of people on this. I don't see aircraft changing to biofuels as a solution to a problem--it's merely creating a new set of problems.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:16 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Air New Zealand was the first airline to fly with biofuel on 30 December 2008.

Air NZ Press Release
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:12 pm

They meant that they're the first airline in Asia to operate a commercial flight using biofuels. The article linked even discusses the biofuel operations of other airlines in the world, including KLM, Air New Zealand, Finnair, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by daumueller
Originally Posted by pogonation

Lufthansa has been operating biofuel flights for months now
Yea I flew on a HAM-FRA or HAM-MUC A320 flight using some sort of bio diesel last summer.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Not to mention the EU is now taxing carbon emissions for the entire flight, which probably exceeds their territorial authority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.