Day Room in Bangkok

Old Jan 9, 12, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Day Room in Bangkok

I need some advice on a getting a “true day room” in BKK. I arrive from ZHR on TG971 at 06:25HRS ( I actually start my day off in YUL) on one ticket (PRN). I have a completely different ticket (PRN) on AI331 that departs to BOM at 20:30HRS.

I would like to get a true day room that will allow me to check in around 07:15hrs and check out around 17:30hrs. I could check out a little earlier as the flight is in C/J class and I will have access to a lounge.

I have been to BKK many times before but not very knowledgeable about the different areas. I am not very interested in doing too many of the tourist things. I have done most of that on prior trips and I think this time around I will be weary from the travel. Plus when I get to BOM I will still have another 2.5hrs of travel by taxi/coach to my final destination.

What I am looking for is a hotel that will be able to accommodate me for 1500THB max range.
I really just need a room to maybe sleep for a few hours and have a shower to freshen up. If the hotel has a pool/fitness room that would be a bonus as well.

I would like to be in an area that has some food choices within walking distance. I am comfortable with local restaurants and I do not mind eating in open-air “hawker” type places. If there are a few places to get a cheap massage that would be a bonus as well. I was thinking around the 750THB for a massage.

I looked into “airport hotels” but from the reviews that I saw the main issue is that restaurants in the area are very limited and there is nothing to do around the area. The airport area sounds great if you just need a short overnight and have a connection in the morning. But given I get in early in the morning, even if I sleep for till 13:00hrs that still gives me time to get some food and a massage or hang out by the pool if the hotel has one.

From what I remember a taxi cost around 500THB to the city so I am comfortable paying that if I have to. Keep in mind I will have 2 check bags and two cabin bags. One laptop and another camera bag. So I don’t really want to take the train/public transit to/from the hotel.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 9, 12, 9:22 am

If I were in your shoes I would try this one:

http://www.silvergoldgarden.com/index.htm

They don't offer explicitly day rooms, but they are so cheap you still can afford "2 nights". Furthermore I wouldn't be surprized you get away with "1 night".

Please report back, TY.

Last edited by Fan2502; Jan 9, 12 at 9:22 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 12, 11:28 am

Programs: TG Gold
I can recommend Great residence very close to airport.

700 baht incl one way transfer.

Some simple Thai restaurants 3 minutes walk to the left from hotel and there is also a 7/11 to grab a hot dog

Nice pool and free wifi and also planespotting is included

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/greatresidence/

Old Jan 9, 12, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
There are day rooms within BKK airport, we have used them twice and they are very clean and comfortable... We considered leaving the airport, but we can shop eat and sleep within, can do with the extra hassle when on long haul transit...

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jan 9, 12, 3:38 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by concol View Post
From what I remember a taxi cost around 500THB to the city so I am comfortable paying that if I have to. Keep in mind I will have 2 check bags and two cabin bags. One laptop and another camera bag. So I don’t really want to take the train/public transit to/from the hotel.

Thanks for your help
Hi concol, being someone who loves high count thread sheets and a little bit of class, I can't help you with a cheapie, but if you don't want to shell out real money 10000miles used to buy you a room in town. This gets you a room in a Sheraton, Sofitel or the old girl Dusit Thani, however I got a room for one of our girls at the Centara Grand last year and that is right in the center of the action at Paragon come Centralworld. The cab fare is still 380, so your memory for 500 is good. (like many of us, I put 500 away for the taxi). Whilst I stay at the Hyatt, I get massages next door at Amarin Plaza. Use the more mature ladies as you enter on second floor from skytrain, opposite tailor. Taxi will take 30 minutes tops each way.
Old Jan 9, 12, 7:54 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airgroovin' View Post
There are day rooms within BKK airport, we have used them twice and they are very clean and comfortable... We considered leaving the airport, but we can shop eat and sleep within, can do with the extra hassle when on long haul transit...

Cheers,

AG.
Unfortunately the dayrooms are way over-budget for the OP's specified maximum 1500 THB even for the minimum time-block of 4 hours. And if 8 hours or more the amount they charge gets to be silly. If you want a room for that long, it makes no sense to not get a room outside the airport, unless entering Thailand is a hassle or problem for you. For 4 hours, I suppose it's debatable as to whether one is better off with a dayroom or going outside. I'd probably opt for the dayroom myself being you'll lose considerable time going in and out of immigration and in a taxi to/from the hotel.

If traveling alone, I'd personally take the train from Suvarnabhumi to Makkasan or Phaya Thai, and then a taxi from there to whatever hotel I chose. For Makkasan, a round trip ticket on the express train was only 150 THB I believe when I was there two weeks ago. For Phaya Thai not sure what the fare was, but for me even if it's the same price as a taxi, I prefer the express train. No worrys about my safety with the way some of the taxi drivers drive on the expressway. If traveling with two or more people, the cost of the express train multiplies per passenger, whereas with a taxi it's the same, so if not traveling alone the train can actually be more expensive than a taxi. During non-peak travel times, the train probably won't actually save you any time, but I still prefer it. During rush hour it can definitely save you considerable time if your hotel is located conveniently to one of the stations. I do not recommend taking the commuter train to/from the airport if you have a lot of luggage. It can be quite crowded on that train.
Old Jan 9, 12, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by A_Lee View Post
Unfortunately the dayrooms are way over-budget for the OP's specified maximum 1500 THB even for the minimum time-block of 4 hours. And if 8 hours or more the amount they charge gets to be silly. If you want a room for that long, it makes no sense to not get a room outside the airport, unless entering Thailand is a hassle or problem for you. For 4 hours, I suppose it's debatable as to whether one is better off with a dayroom or going outside. I'd probably opt for the dayroom myself being you'll lose considerable time going in and out of immigration and in a taxi to/from the hotel.
Starting at 2400 THB+ for 4 hours I don't see many scenarios where the day rooms actually make sense.
Old Jan 10, 12, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by BKKROP View Post
Hi concol, being someone who loves high count thread sheets and a little bit of class, I can't help you with a cheapie, but if you don't want to shell out real money 10000miles used to buy you a room in town. This gets you a room in a Sheraton, Sofitel or the old girl Dusit Thani, however I got a room for one of our girls at the Centara Grand last year and that is right in the center of the action at Paragon come Centralworld. The cab fare is still 380, so your memory for 500 is good. (like many of us, I put 500 away for the taxi). Whilst I stay at the Hyatt, I get massages next door at Amarin Plaza. Use the more mature ladies as you enter on second floor from skytrain, opposite tailor. Taxi will take 30 minutes tops each way.
Ok, ok, ok...

I like luxury too! This is just a convenience thing, really...

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jan 10, 12, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Starting at 2400 THB+ for 4 hours I don't see many scenarios where the day rooms actually make sense.
Agree it is high, but for the convenience factor, it has made sense to me 2 times before during a long transit... Normally, my flights connect within 3-4 hours...

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jan 10, 12, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I can recommend Great residence very close to airport.

700 baht incl one way transfer.

Some simple Thai restaurants 3 minutes walk to the left from hotel and there is also a 7/11 to grab a hot dog

Nice pool and free wifi and also planespotting is included

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/bangkok/greatresidence/
Hi -- Thanks for the suggestions --- I ending up booking the Great Residence Hotel.

Was 850+ 34(booking fee) = 884THB includes to and from transfers --- the website says Day Rooms are one full night payment and are available from 06:00 - to 23:59 same day. I managed to provide flight numbers in a comment section so I think I am good.

Booking site was quick and within 2min received confirmation email.

The stay is for Jan 20 -- so will post a quick review after.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 16, 12, 11:56 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
If you've only got about 5 hours between flights, 4 hours at the dayrooms would be perfect time-wise. If it's and international-to-international connection, exiting the airport and re-entering could cost you an hour each way during peak times. Plus transportation to/from the airport and you'll have less than 2 hours of sleep, vs. 4 hours at the day rooms. Add onto that perhaps paying the 700 THB airport tax per passenger, if there's two of you, that's 1,400 THB. Even for a cheap hotel room you'll likely pay at least 2400 THB. If you're someone who needs to get a visa-on-arrival, then the time/money (assuming there's a fee for the visa) goes up even more. So in such cases the dayrooms do make sens for those who need some sleep during a short connection.

Last edited by A_Lee; Jan 16, 12 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 16, 12, 3:14 pm

Programs: Many
does the BKK airport hotel offer day rooms and in the alternative, does the F lounge have dayrooms with beds?
Old Jan 16, 12, 6:14 pm

If you've only got about 5 hours between flights, 4 hours at the dayrooms would be perfect time-wise. If it's and international-to-international connection, exiting the airport and re-entering could cost you an hour each way during peak times. Plus transportation to/from the airport and you'll have less than 2 hours of sleep, vs. 4 hours at the day rooms. Add onto that perhaps paying the 700 THB airport tax per passenger, if there's two of you, that's 1,400 THB. Even for a cheap hotel room you'll likely pay at least 2400 THB. If you're someone who needs to get a visa-on-arrival, then the time/money (assuming there's a fee for the visa) goes up even more. So in such cases the dayrooms do make sens for those who need some sleep during a short connection.
+1

I totally agree... Who wants all that hassle when you tired and jet lagged? Not me!

Cheers,

AG.
Old Jan 16, 12, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Plus transportation to/from the airport and you'll have less than 2 hours of sleep, vs. 4 hours at the day rooms. Add onto that perhaps paying the 700 THB airport tax per passenger, if there's two of you, that's 1,400 THB. Even for a cheap hotel room you'll likely pay at least 2400 THB.
There are myriad decent options near the airport with free transpo that will run 800 to 1000 THB. For the Louis Tavern rooms 2400+ is the starting rate for 4hours for 1 person. More people equals a higher rate. And it jumps quickly.

If time is short then I agree heading out and back is a waste of time. But if time is short how much sleep will you get anyway?
Old Jan 17, 12, 8:34 am

There are myriad decent options near the airport with free transpo that will run 800 to 1000 THB. For the Louis Tavern rooms 2400+ is the starting rate for 4hours for 1 person. More people equals a higher rate. And it jumps quickly.

If time is short then I agree heading out and back is a waste of time. But if time is short how much sleep will you get anyway?
We had a 6 hour layer over and actually had 5 hours of great sleep - definitely well worth it, actually... I find it hard to sleep on planes, so the rest was most welcomed, and well worth cost IMHO.

Cheers,

AG.

Search this Thread