FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   BKK Bus lounge and wine (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1298465-bkk-bus-lounge-wine.html)

elansear Jan 4, 2012 12:13 pm

BKK Bus lounge and wine

Hi. Back in the summer there was a thread regarding wine in BKK bus lounges or rather the lack of it. It was stated that there was a small ammount in the D concourse lounge, so whats the latest ???
We are returning from BKK in late Feb so which will be the best J lounge to use to be able to have a glass or three ? many thanks in advance.:confused:

Airgroovin Jan 4, 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by elansear (Post 17746703)
Hi. Back in the summer there was a thread regarding wine in BKK bus lounges or rather the lack of it. It was stated that there was a small ammount in the D concourse lounge, so whats the latest ???
We are returning from BKK in late Feb so which will be the best J lounge to use to be able to have a glass or three ? many thanks in advance.:confused:

I have never seen wine in the TG lounges? I generally have a scotch on the rocks or a G&T, hits the spot!

If you are *Gold you could visit the SQ lounge - they serve a wine by memory that was not very pleasant...

Cheers,

AG. :-:

BKKROP Jan 4, 2012 2:06 pm

AG* is correct, you may never see it, it is there, you will have to ask for it. It is not cost effective for first entry lounges in this region to have wine freely available to the travelling public. The problem which can never be controlled in the short term, is that some passengers are not happy with a glass, they take the whole bottle. In town, you will find that the major hotels use the same system in their club lounges

eponymous_coward Jan 4, 2012 3:07 pm

That doesn't make a lot of sense, given that the same person could grab a bottle of booze that's out in the open, instead of the wine. "Hmm, that Glenfiddich looks good. (swipe)" I counted a lot of bottles that I could have drank from when I was in the B/C lounges this last week (including the Glenfiddich, which I had a modest pour from), pus the beer.

If there's really a concern about theft or overconsumption, why not just have a bartender available to pour drinks (and in charge of handing out the alcohol, and thus able to not serve someone who has imbibed too much, or who wants to nick the Dom) instead of hidden wine, openly available beer/hard alcohol?

Airgroovin Jan 4, 2012 4:23 pm

Also, the tax on wine in Thailand is exorbitant! I think TG are saving some bucks on this one... That said, they are the only major lounges that I know that does not serve wine?

Cheers,

BKKROP Jan 4, 2012 4:30 pm

Don't disagree with you at all, the wine they will drink, the scotch they steal, but along the concorses where the *A lounges are, the airline have 4 security on each flight, so the cans and bottles end up nicely stacked again. Not the brightest buttons, are they, just an annoyance to the rest of us

dsquared37 Jan 4, 2012 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 17748058)

If there's really a concern about theft or overconsumption, why not just have a bartender available to pour drinks (and in charge of handing out the alcohol, and thus able to not serve someone who has imbibed too much, or who wants to nick the Dom) instead of hidden wine, openly available beer/hard alcohol?

Two years ago, before taking away *G access into the D concourse lounge, they were moving the booze all over before settling into it's current position. At one point, for about a month, it was in the 'bar' area at the base of the escalator, before you even officially entered the lounge. Suffice to say this was a poor position for it and that ended quickly.

As an aside, there's no way staff in a lounge in Thailand will ever tell you you've had too much. It would take resolve and potentially jeopardize their job should they do this to a connected person. As well, any employee who even thought about doing this wouldn't be hired to begin with becuase they think too much. Just a cultural thing. By allowing pax to pour their own it doesn't involve the staff at all, likely a better scenario.

Originally Posted by Airgroovin' (Post 17748587)
Also, the tax on wine in Thailand is exorbitant! I think TG are saving some bucks on this one... That said, they are the only major lounges that I know that does not serve wine?

Cheers,

The tax on all alcohol is ridiculous. But we're dealing with a duty-free position. If booze can be afforded than certainly they can offer wine, even if somewhat crappy.

I'm generally happy with my vodka/soda or G&T or scotch... depending upon the day.

TPJ Jan 6, 2012 2:16 am

Folks - my last trip via BKK was in late November and Chilean wine was available in the lounge (Concourse D only).

I am flying to TPE this Sunday - will report back from the lounge.

pansted00 Jan 6, 2012 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Airgroovin' (Post 17748587)

Cheers,

Precisely, this puts things in perspective . Cheap charlies .

Airgroovin Jan 6, 2012 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by pansted00 (Post 17759061)
Precisely, this puts things in perspective . Cheap charlies .

That said, the wine served in the SQ BKK lounge tastes like cat's piss... Compared to the SIN lounges it is a shameful drop :p

Cheers,

TPJ Jan 8, 2012 1:43 am

I am in the D lounge now. Wine is available from the attendants (not self service) - just ask and you will be brought a glass (however, I am in the mood for Chivas today:p).

Airgroovin Jan 8, 2012 2:21 am

Good choice! Chivas is a much better choice than random wine! Never thought to ask... Certain the wine is not great... :p

Cheers,

AG.:-:

elansear Jan 8, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi All Thanks for the input. Thanks to TPJ know what to do now.;)

Airgroovin Jan 8, 2012 2:06 pm

Was the wine any good?

Cheers,