Wiki Posts
Search

Requesting "Book the Cook" for second meal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Requesting "Book the Cook" for second meal

Is it possible to ask the FAs to serve a pre-booked meal for the second service and order from the menu for the first service or am I limited to having it for the main meal service? If it helps, I am flying in F from BKK to SYD on the overnight flight so the second service in breakfast. Thanks.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:04 am
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
To my knowledge, you can't BTC for the second meal so will need to order of the inflight menu. It's a long shot, but maybe call your local TG office and ask nonetheless? Never know your luck in a big city (or with TG).

Happy travels. You'll love TG F... are you booked on the 7443 or A346?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hgp
To my knowledge, you can't BTC for the second meal so will need to order of the inflight menu. It's a long shot, but maybe call your local TG office and ask nonetheless? Never know your luck in a big city (or with TG).

Happy travels. You'll love TG F... are you booked on the 7443 or A346?
Thanks. Booked on A346 but this is TG we are talking about it could all change in an instant.

In your experience, even if you can't officially do it in advance, does anyone have experience asking the FAs to do this? I know that on SQ they are often happy to do it if asked but I understand that TG FAs can be a little less willing. I'm only really interested because I would much prefer the option of a curry for breakfast that a standard western offering of eggs, etc.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 2:11 pm
hgp
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: EK*P, TG*P, SQ*PPS
You can (and should) ask, but two things come to mind:
(1) This may upset their processes if the trolley containing the "first meal" is subsequently packed away (ie. behind others) and is difficult to access.
(2) Potentially some meals have an earlier "use-by" so can't be served after a certain number of hours from departure (this is unlikely, I think, especially with a curry).

My feeling is that this will come down to the crew. Sometimes you'll get a stellar crew who will do anything to please - simply excellent service. Othertimes, it's possible you'll get a crew who regard passengers with some distaste.

One option to consider is the soup noodles. OK, they're just packet noodles with a few extra bits added, but I happen to like them. Definitely preferably to the egg breakfast cooked 12 to 24 hours earlier!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
I know that on SQ they are often happy to do it if asked but I understand that TG FAs can be a little less willing. .
That's a little below the belt, for starters SQ only serve the one meal and secondly SYD gets the Airbus 346 unless there is a need to move Aussie teenagers eg CNY, then TG brings in the heavy guns with a couple of B747. In theory there is no problem with serving a special meal at any time as long as the configeration of the tray meets the oven capacity at that time. If your curry is the same size as the omelette then it would be no problem to switch. Like hgp, I go for the noodles, hope your holiday season has been fun, I've been flying over the break and the airports and planes are full to the brim, first time I have seen fast track open at 5am in Bangkok and I saw a pax sitting in the jump seat, maybe he was staff, would have been uncomfortable. The new year looks good
Old Dec 25, 2011, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKROP
That's a little below the belt, for starters SQ only serve the one meal
Thanks. I have no experience with TG and can only go off the comments I've seen posted. Your comments have been helpful.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I did exactly what you're hoping to do once, and there was no problem at all in doing it - the FA was very happy to do whatever I wanted with the meals. Although I was the only passenger in F, so don't know if on a full-flight they'd be so willing.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:38 am
soy

Programs: various
data point - A friend recently fell asleep before the dinner service onn BKK-FRA and the FA's were happy to serve him his dinner choice at breakfast instead
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:58 pm

It totally depends upon how service-oriented your FA is, and on Thai this has wide variation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.