Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Happened before? 77W suite downgraded to 747 all series 1st class: what to do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Flying Haneda to Bangkok tomorrow, and used bmi miles paying around 300 dollars in taxes and fees just to snag a suite on the leased jet 77w. I absolutely wouldn't have done this otherwise. Now, apparently because the flight was heavily overbooked, the flight is now on a 747 all series. I know that I will still have a seat in F, but come on, the 1st product on this plane can't even compare to business seats on the 77w! Not even any ptv's?

Has this happened before to anyone else? If so, how did Thai apologize/compensate?

thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:36 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
These things happen around the Christian calendar of the festive season, but it's nothing compared to to the Chinese New year. Appears to be fully booked till 25th, but the whole network is stretched to it's limits till then. Hasn't been a spare seat on any flight I have been on this week, even on 25th I took the last business seat available
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
BKK > HND has been pretty open. I was the only one in F last week. An acquaintance was one of only two on Monday. While the suite seats are nice, I really find the 747 seats very comfortable (although not good for mhc). Also for some reason the food seems to be better on the 747s.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
If you don't need to travel -- given your comment about this being to experience the 777 suite -- why not try and re-book to a different day ?

On the flip side, TG are obviously making efforts to make sure that people get to their destination before Christmas.

Unfortunately for you, you've fallen victim to airline boiler plate clauses that seat and aircraft are never guaranteed ...........
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by milefan
the flight is now on a 747 all series. I know that I will still have a seat in F, but come on, the 1st product on this plane can't even compare to business seats on the 77w! Not even any ptv's?
THAI may well apologize if you complain (but so what, right?), seeking compensation for an equipment swap is a lost cause.

However with regards to PTV, even the oldest F configuration they have (with the 2 - 2 - 2 in F), you have a personal entertainment display. It's in your arm rest and it's about 5 inches
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Happened last week, as a matter of fact.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-...s-12-12-a.html
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
The lottery strikes again!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments and insights...in the end, I decided against moving to the next day, as there was no guarantee that one wouldn't be subbed as well, and it was just too much of a hassle. The service on the old style 747 was fine, but the hard product was dismal. Tiny PTV with no AVOD. Quite adding salt to the wound, staff were denying there had been an aircraft change even at the check-in desk...when they finally admitted it, they were casually sheepish, and had the gall to say that they had the freedom to do substitutions in the interest of safety (as if this was the reason for the sub)...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
TITG (this is TG ). What did you expect? A straight answer and a sincere apology? Come on ... Mai pen rai. I had the same seat on BKK-CPH and liked it even for a very comfortable sleep, but then I paid C class price.

On BKK-HND I think it is bearable though I can understand the disappointment for someone wanting to experience the 77W suite. Better luck next time though be quick if you have BD miles left as that gravy train is leaving the station very soon.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I think you were lucky it switch to 744, early in the month, it switched 77W to 773, I got downgraded from first to business. Luckily I caught it early enough and switch to NRT-BKK in order to get 77W in F where it still have O class available, but I have to pay overnight in NRT in order to get that. (originally HND-BKK leave at midnight, the NRT-BKK that is 77W leave the next day in the afternoon)

When I called TG, all they told me is to switch to NRT instead of HND, no compensation whatsoever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.