Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Updated on THAI First A380

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:54 am

First time on TG A380 HKG-BKK yesterday. C-class is among the best there is. Single seats right next to window seem best (A&K, uneven row numbers). Very good IFE system. Decent bed. Lots of privacy.

The main problems were that four bathrooms were constantly occupied and that the service was not very good - oh and that the supposed bar was not used and was, in any case, not accessible as that was where the FAs parked their trolleys. The cabin size does not help in terms of service. But still much much better than LH A380.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I was on the same route in F recently and the bar was not being used in First Class either.....it is only intended for service on long haul flights and will not be brought into service on the Hong Kong or Singapore routes.

I also went for a stroll to see what the rest of the aircraft looked like and had to open barriers at the top and bottom of the stairs (beside the large toilet) in order to make my way downstairs. When I got to the back of the economy section and ascended the spiral staircase I was met by black and yellow strap barriers (looked like a crime scene out of CSI Miami) and had to squeeze between them.

Interestingly, the entire "small" rear economy section upstairs was in total darkness, all the window shutters closed, and lights off, whereas the rest of the aircraft was a blaze of light, both natural and man made!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
They close off the upstairs whY cabin if they are not fully booked... LH do the same with section on their A380...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: Thai ROP Platinum; BA Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium For Life; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yes, AG, I understand that, and it makes sense, but the cabin was about 80% occupied!! People sitting in total darkness, eating, watching movies etc., on a lunchtime flight of less than 3 hours duration when the rest of the aircraft was fully lit....seemed a bit odd to me!!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Thaikwai
....seemed a bit odd to me!!
Often happens in the A330 with the rear business section curtained off and in blackout mode. Economy wouldn't get to see it, whilst business paxs who are looking for a rear toilet will stumble across it. You will see it often on regional air routes in Asia, crews prefer to return to home base, office staff especially on HKG and SIN flights and on newer planes famils.Not many people get to see it though
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Thaikwai
Yes, AG, I understand that, and it makes sense, but the cabin was about 80% occupied!! People sitting in total darkness, eating, watching movies etc., on a lunchtime flight of less than 3 hours duration when the rest of the aircraft was fully lit....seemed a bit odd to me!!
Oh, I see... I thought you meant that the cabin had zero pax and had been shut-down... Is rather weird, perhaps the pax were a group who don't like light?

In fact, TG always close the window shutters on day flights...

Cheers,

Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'

In fact, TG always close the window shutters on day flights...
Yes because the crew hopes pax fall asleep and don't bother them!

This is one of many reasons I don't fly them anymore on long hauls.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Oct 28, 2012 at 1:52 am
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Fan2502

Ha!

I have had my slightly opened in the past and it was no issue...

Cheers,

Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: TG Platinum, SQ Gold, Gold - you're indestructable...
Originally Posted by Fan2502

Wow that's some reason not to fly TG I always have my window open, in any class... I figure they are there to be used and if people planned on sleeping they can wear an eyeblind - easily available.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by aislealways
Wow that's some reason not to fly TG I always have my window open, in any class... I figure they are there to be used and if people planned on sleeping they can wear an eyeblind - easily available.
different strokes for different folks I would specifically choose to fly an airline because they close shades during a day flight. Open window shades interfere with glare on my tv screen (so much so that I now choose window seats even though I don't like them solely for the purpose of shutting the shades )
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:48 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
but Thai indeed intends to close the Economy class section on Upperdeck during low demand midweek flights to/from Frankfurt during low season (May/June). They are offering only 377 Y-seats on Maindeck (instead of totally 435 seats installed on the aircraft) and therefore will also reduce/save onboard crew.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:53 am
bxs

Updated on THAI First A380

Quick question on the TG 930 0005 departure BKK-CDG flight to those more knowledgable out there. Will this flight have a full meal service or is it an express service? Will be in F and my preference is to have full meal service and a movie and not have breakfast. Is that possible? Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by bxs
Quick question on the TG 930 0005 departure BKK-CDG flight to those more knowledgable out there. Will this flight have a full meal service or is it an express service? Will be in F and my preference is to have full meal service and a movie and not have breakfast. Is that possible? Thanks.
TG normally do a full meal service on midnight departures - so you should be fine to have dinner, do the movie thing and skip breakfast. ^

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Old Nov 4, 2012, 4:19 am
bxs

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'

TG normally do a full meal service on midnight departures - so you should be fine to have dinner, do the movie thing and skip breakfast. ^

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Thanks AG. Got it.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Just did HKG-BKK-SYD two days ago in First. The A380 seat is an amazing way to travel. The soft product still needs a little bit of ironing out. The FA was amazing but a little overwhelmed as it was her first time on the A380.

The trip from BKK to SYD was on the good 747 with the new old first. Offered the Dom before take off. No refill. The seat was perfectly fine and would have been better if there was a sound barrier between me and the very loud German couple in the middle seats (I thought that trait was only for us Americans). The soft product was kind of funny though. The older FA had her way of doing the flight and if it wasn't her way it caused her to have a scowl on her face. The service was rushed and once dinner was done so were they. The curtain went up and that was it until breakfast. I think you could have gone and asked for something more but did not want to risk the scowl. Breakfast started promptly at 2.5 hours before landing so the lights when up when everyone was still trying to sleep. Once done with breakfast and 1 hour to go so were our head sets. It felt very rushed.

The funny thing is the perser and this FA at the end of it come over, got on thier knees and profusly thanked me for flying with them. To the point were I was getting embarrased.

PS, Please excuse any spelling mistakes in this post. The spell check doesn't seem to work on an iPad and I'm too jet lagged to figure it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.