Wiki Posts
Search

So near...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways ROP *G; British Airways Executive Club Silver
So near...

As 2011 draws to a close I have 38,358 miles on the clock for 2011 with a tantalising '11,642' miles required before the end of the year to regain Gold status... Will have a business trip from London to Lebanon out of all places in November and will try and convince my client to get a ticket on BMI (qualifying mileage fare of course). The mileage on this route is 4332 in economy... on ROP if I fly business, this translates to 5415... That would leave 6227 miles to get before 31st December IF I want to regain Gold... The question is, what would you do?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Easy... Take off on a winter break. Canada/Japan for skiing or SE Asia for some sun
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
i would just catch a flight to new york from london for a weekend as it is the cheapest way to hit gold status.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
The Gold status is worth it, that free return upgrade and the 50% off is great. You could go down to Cairo for me, I need someone to comfirm if Egypt is safe to go to take an old mate to.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: ROP *G, BAEC Gold, HH Lifetime Diamond
I would hit the west coast from London on US or Continental for a long weekend....the weather would be much better over there
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

thanks...

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I'm glad you all think it's worth 'going for it' I shall let you know how I get along. (If you're reading this and haven't made a suggestion, feel free to do so!).

Cheers
d-not-inbangkok any more
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Ohhhh... Lebanon... How exciting
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Ohhhh... Lebanon... How exciting
Thanks for the great link! ^
Old Nov 23, 2011, 3:35 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Anything else I can help with, please feel free to let me know...
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Will just about make it to 50,000 before 31st Dec!

Assuming all goes to plan I have my flight booked to Beirut (no budget client so going economy). I also agreed to waive my fee and attend a meeting in New York... on the proviso that I get booked on a qualifying fare to New York. Flying Continental. All in all this trip might bring me very close to 50K... which may give me a reason to upgrade one of the legs
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Precision Gold Re-Qual

Here I am, having just completed a trip to the States, this time using Asiana and Continental and crediting back to my THAI ROP account. I have one more trip to take this year, a domestic down to Bangkok that will yield me 500 miles each way.

The mileage from the US trip has all credited now, and I have 49,504 qualifying miles. Taking a one-way to Bangkok will re-qualify me for Gold with 50,004 miles.

I'm kind of proud of that number and want to keep it! I have a tablet and 3G package now that can keep me entertained on a bus. So maybe I'll skip the flight back and just take the bus home this time!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
Taking a one-way to Bangkok will re-qualify me for Gold with 50,004 miles.
You've done better than me. I'm slightly shy of 50K this year and was making my plans today for my final TG trip of the year which when credited to ROP will get me to 50,092.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:05 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
By the end of 2011 I would have credited 129172 into ROP, mostly on TG metal, but I was told in an email I will not recieve a 2nd G UP, for that it would be another 50k into the bank next year.... anyways, I am working towards a Plat and if that don't happen, then its lahkorn ROP....
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:19 am
Original Poster

The devil is in the detail

... Speaking of the drama of everything TG I very nearly ended up on a non-qualifying fare on BMI (discounted business), which although more expensive that the qualifying economy fare I'm now on, would have earned me zero mileage. A scrabble around at the ROP office end and they finally came out with the position that their website is wrong on partner qualifying mileage but until they update it in April 2012, the fare will remain ineligible for mileage. Got to tread very carefully with qualifying fares on other airlines!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Originally Posted by dinbangkok
... Speaking of the drama of everything TG I very nearly ended up on a non-qualifying fare on BMI (discounted business), which although more expensive that the qualifying economy fare I'm now on, would have earned me zero mileage. A scrabble around at the ROP office end and they finally came out with the position that their website is wrong on partner qualifying mileage but until they update it in April 2012, the fare will remain ineligible for mileage. Got to tread very carefully with qualifying fares on other airlines!
I'm surprised to hear the response from THAI that it won't do anything until April. I've noticed minor updates to the mileage-earning fare chart throughout the year.

On the other hand, I',m not so sure that what you encountered was really a mistake. The deals these airlines make with their partners are not rational (from a customer perspective.) Certain fares will be non-earning for one partner, but mileage-earning for another; a group of low fares will be non-earning, but one fare class in the middle of that group is mileage earning . . . it goes on and on.

I get to the States a few times a year and need to use carriers there. I'm always battling these issues between United and Continental; a fare is non-earning, but a code-share fare on the same flight is mileage earning (for example.) They have created a mine field for the customers who are trying to maintain loyalty to the alliance and their carrier.

For my own situation, it got better this year when US Airways made all published fares mileage earning on THAI. And I am hopeful now that United and Continental got their joint operating certificate and can finish the consolidation, it will soon become easier to seek out and sort out earning fares on the new combined carrrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.