Returning to the FCL at BKK...

Old Oct 9, 11, 12:06 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wales
Programs: US, BA, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 10
Returning to the FCL at BKK...

Hi

I know I can normally enter the F lounge on arrival after flying FRA-BKK with TG in F with an onward TG connection in C, but because I'm spending the 10 hour layover in the city centre, will they still grant me access even though I left the airport?

Might be pushing my luck, but could I still use the speedy F security channel in the First Class check in zone when I get back to the airport?

Thanks in advance for any advice...
Andrew.
AndrewGriffith is offline  
Old Oct 10, 11, 12:24 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne/Bangkok
Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Posts: 2,245
No idea about lounge but the C check-in security and passport control are just as fast and probably faster than the F check-in
Aussie_flyer is offline  
Old Oct 10, 11, 6:22 am
  #3  
NoY
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi, Phuket, London
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, EY Gold, QR Gold, CX, SQ
Posts: 4,555
I assume there is no F cabin on your onward flight and the connection is next day? If so, I did manage to check-in at the F counter AND get access to the F lounge a few months back in these same circumstances. Did require a bit of explaining & production of my F boarding passes from the last flight
NoY is offline  
Old Oct 10, 11, 12:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NCL and LBA
Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 2,933
Originally Posted by NoY View Post
I assume there is no F cabin on your onward flight and the connection is next day? If so, I did manage to check-in at the F counter AND get access to the F lounge a few months back in these same circumstances. Did require a bit of explaining & production of my F boarding passes from the last flight
OP should not have a next day connection since FRA-BKK arrivals are at 06:20 and 13:05.

You should be granted access since you have a same day F arrival but if you want to reduce the risk of being denied I would ask to go the F lounge when arriving and spend 10 minutes there and let them know that you are going into town and will be back soon.
pogonation is online now  
Old Oct 10, 11, 5:21 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BKK.DPS
Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Posts: 3,290
Originally Posted by pogonation View Post
to reduce the risk of being denied I would ask to go the F lounge when arriving and spend 10 minutes there and let them know that you are going into town and will be back soon.
Hi pogonation, this is a very good idea, I have noticed as the lounge becomes busier, the reaction is to abide by the rules and stop passengers from entering if they can. Certainly some animated discussions going on at the desk, as they wave us through, and if you don't handle rejection well, this is what I would be doing
BKKROP is offline  
Old Oct 11, 11, 12:50 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,641
Originally Posted by pogonation View Post

You should be granted access since you have a same day F arrival but if you want to reduce the risk of being denied I would ask to go the F lounge when arriving and spend 10 minutes there and let them know that you are going into town and will be back soon.
This is a very cogent way to ensure they don't attempt to deny pax the next morning.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 11, 2:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CGN
Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by pogonation View Post

You should be granted access since you have a same day F arrival but if you want to reduce the risk of being denied I would ask to go the F lounge when arriving and spend 10 minutes there and let them know that you are going into town and will be back soon.
Congrats Mr. Pogonation ,

a proposal of outstanding intellectual excellence . You hereby receive the Somkiat Trophy in Gold for Innovative Thinking .

Thank you again , I am truely impressed .
somkiat is offline  
Old Oct 11, 11, 2:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CGN
Programs: Thai reborn Platinum , EY Platinum ,Annie's Preferred Guest , Knauber Hobbymarkt Rabattkarte
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by AndrewGriffith View Post
Hi


Might be pushing my luck, but could I still use the speedy F security channel in the First Class check in zone when I get back to the airport?
Mr. Griffith ,

as we obviously seem to have several thousand Flyertalk members / day leaving BKK by using Thai First class somebody should have been able in the meantime to confirm that there is no F security channel after the checkin zone . Very well ; the sad truth is that after leaving the F zone you have to join all people from C checkin heading for the interior of the airport through the very same channel .
somkiat is offline  
Old Oct 12, 11, 5:59 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: MEL
Programs: VA Silver, VN Titanium, BA Blue
Posts: 3,198
I would be tempted to use the regular security and passport route. Special attention in the C and F zone is more likely to result in having to pay the airport tax which is an annoying expense and adds significant delay to getting back airside.
Mr H is offline  
Old Oct 18, 11, 5:08 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wales
Programs: US, BA, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 10
Thanks so much for your kind and wise advice :-)

Just 7 weeks until FRA-BKK-KUL...can't wait!

Was reading a trip report (http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/200509/) and noticed the guy said "20mins before departure the TG valet picked u up and whisked us to the gate for immediate boarding". Is that normal for TG F ex-FRA? If it is, great, but how do they know which lounge you're in?! And is the new New Senator F Lounge at the B Gates best to use?

Cheers again and thanks as always,
MrAG.
AndrewGriffith is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread