Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Fare change/promotion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
Domestic Fare change/promotion

THAI announced a new fare structure (or promotion?) in today's Bangkok Post:

THAI cuts local fares to fight budget rivals

It'll be interesting to read the Terms and Conditions for this. The article also mentions double miles. I couldn't find them yet on the THAI website.

Also an interesting change of direction. Last year THAI was trying to get rid of a bunch of domestic destinations, and raised domestic fares about 35% on April 1st, only to rescind most of that increase a few months later.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
THAI announced a new fare structure (or promotion?) in today's Bangkok Post:

THAI cuts local fares to fight budget rivals

It'll be interesting to read the Terms and Conditions for this. The article also mentions double miles. I couldn't find them yet on the THAI website.

Also an interesting change of direction. Last year THAI was trying to get rid of a bunch of domestic destinations, and raised domestic fares about 35% on April 1st, only to rescind most of that increase a few months later.

Yes, it will indeed. Now if it were only double segments it might yet be a cheaper way to achieve *G.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I don't see the reduction on their site. It looks like the fares have actually gone up. A few days ago the one-way fare BKK-CNX was around 2400baht and now its around 2900baht.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BKK-CNX is indeed pricing out as 2970 o/w. On the same dates DD prices out as a promotion of 1290 o/w. This is being competitive?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
The current promotion Smile 2010 (expiring March 31st) is only bookable at the promotion web page (not on the normal domestic booking engine.) There is a new promotion on the website now, and these new fares might ultimately be bookable only through that web page:

I Fly THAI Domestic

However, it appears that it is not functioning correctly now. It shows an additional column of low fares for travel dates through March 31st (amusingly titled Brand name not yet defined.) And that entire column disappears for travel dates starting with April 1st. On the other hand, that column is appearing now when trying to make bookings using the normal domestic booking engine on the THAI website. So maybe ultimately these fares WILL be bookable without going to a special promotion web page. (I'd think they would want to make these fares easy to find and book if they truly want to capture more market share.)

Perhaps somebody jumped the gun in starting this promotion before it could be fully setup on the website and in the reservations system. I would phone THAI or ask at a ticket office if I needed to fly before they get this straightened out on the website. They also need to get the rest of the details of this promotion (such as T&C) published.

Last edited by Sam Drucker; Mar 17, 2011 at 2:10 am Reason: Added details
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They've been running promotions continuously, though under different program names, for quite some time. Why they only have them linked through the bottom left of the page is beyond me.

I would expect this new program to pick up as of April 1, as you said, because the smile program will end on the 31st of March.

The current program, Smile, wasn't bad for cost, however it was only on Monday-Thursday flights, which often meant booking 2 o/w, since booking a r/t that included a Fri-Sun flight would force all flights into the normal pricing scheme.

I'd really like to fly TG domestically since all flights earn miles on my preferred FFP, however I'm not paying 2x what I can on DD.

As everything with TG, we'll need to wait and see what comes out.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:24 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
The fares are very good, but what I love is the double mileage
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Very good? All I'm seeing is "I fly Thai" and the fares are outrageous.

On top of that there's no explanation of the promotion at all. Am I missing somehting?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: Turkish Elite, AA Platinum, Royal Orchid Plus Silver
I see fares from 2970 to 3990 for CM to BKK in April. Doesn't seem to be any reduction, or even a special promotion. Very strange. And nothing at all about double miles. I guess it takes time to make changes in the website.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
[QUOTE=dsquared37;16056340 Am I missing somehting?[/QUOTE]

The fares are current from last Tuesday till Sept 30th, there are also some unbelieveable European premium seat specials out there at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:38 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
The fares are rubbish. It is 1000 baht more for CNX/BKK than what I paid this week on the last promotion.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fares are current from last Tuesday till Sept 30th, there are also some unbelieveable European premium seat specials out there at the moment.
Good lord man, what in world does that have to do with domestic fare promotions?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:31 am

As a sci-fi fan, I must say that this thread reminds of a parallel universe stories.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by larrythai
As a sci-fi fan, I must say that this thread reminds of a parallel universe stories.
Oh, no no, that's just BKKROP being himself.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:28 pm

Information on Domestic I Fly available (in Thai)

FINALLY, there is some information about the I Fly domestic deal. It's still only in Thai on the site, but that's an improvement, I guess. From what I can decipher, it does give double (1000) miles on flights. Now all we need is a quick translation by a Thai-speaking member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.