Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
I have been tipped off about these guys...

http://www.thailongstay.co.th/

I have a colleague that swears by them and is having his secretary sign me up. I will report back with my findings but on the face of it you are essentially buying 12 months of meet and greet with fast track (going both ways) for 12k baht or make that 20k with the buggy.

Anyone else have one of these cards?
Old Feb 6, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Even then, Americans can't get them last I checked.
Anyone aware of a thread on FT (or elsewhere) that is actively tracking the progress of the US "application." Supposedly it was filed in 9/2007 and was expecting to take 3 years to clear...
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:03 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jiejie
Question for those with memories of 2010 (last year) and who have multiple data points: During tourist high season (December 2009 through February 2010) were the immigration queues this bad, this frequently? Or is the magnitude of the problem much worse this year for some reason?
Based on what I've seen and what others have reported, it does seem to me that the queues are worse now than in the past few years. However, I do have a theory about why this is.

I haven't seen any reports of actual passenger numbers, but given various events (political uprisings, swine flu, etc.) in the past couple years which likely kept some people away, vs. no such events this season, I'd assume that passenger numbers are up.

A year ago, during the combination of Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day, and the weekend, I went through the outbound queues at BKK, and nothing particularly unusual until getting past the immigration officer where the madhouse began. It was a few months prior to that when the security checkpoints were moved from just before the gates, to after immigration. The security checkpoints simply cannot handle peak times. There doesn't really seem to be anymore space either to put in any additional scanners. Simply put, a bad design due to the security checkpoints being placed in a location that wasn't intended when the airport was designed.

Last year at that time, I was very aggressive in getting through the queue, but I could see someone stuck over on the side and not being aggressive taking hours to get through. The situation was simply totally unacceptable. So I'm guessing that the airport officials realized this and adjusted how passengers are processed to avoid this. Rather than process as many as possible at immigration, it makes much more sense to control the flow of people passing through immigration to avoid the madhouse at security that I saw. Much better than people are waiting in organized queues than in a total free-for-all. So anyone waiting in these queues and looking at the empty immigration desks, don't blame immigration for this problem. It's way better they regulate the flow by not opening up all the desks.

Having these long delays isn't really acceptable. So this begs the question, what to do about this? I can readily see two solutions:

A) Change the security checkpoints back to where they were before. This though of course would cause lots of whining again from those who did it before. Not only that, but this "solution" only addresses outbound queues, not inbound nor other problems.

B) Reduce the number of passengers at BKK. The only real way I can think of to do this immediately, that would make any sense, would be to designate DMK as both the domestic and international low cost carrier airport. Force Air Asia and any other LCC's out of BKK. Likely all overcrowding problems in outbound immigration, inbound immigration, and the departure check-in hall would be immediately reduced if not eliminated.

On my last trip through BKK last week, I had a B Concourse departure for an international flight. This is new AFAIK, the result of the construction that's been going on there over the past few months. I didn't have time to look over the situation and see if they're using the B Concourse for domestic as well, but I'd think that would be hard to do. So apparently BKK is already starting to show signs of not being able to handle the passenger loads, and this situation will likely only get worse and worse as time goes by.

So really, option B, offloading passengers to DMK, is the only solution that I can see that makes a whole lot of sense. That, combined with the immediate start of construction of a LCC terminal at BKK, as well as the immediate start of construction of whatever the next phase of BKK is that's already been planned. (Hopefully there is some logical plan for this already in existence).

In assuming that domestic flights are now restricted to only the A Concourse, this must be creating problems for overcrowding at domestic gates. Forcing Air Asia to use DMK would provide immediate relief here as well. Hopefully any future expansion plans would let TG, both domestic and international to remain at the current terminal, as well as all *A carriers. The LCC terminal for Air Asia, Nok Air, etc. whether international or domestic, and a new terminal for offloading some of the remaining international carriers.

Hopefully the airport officials are watching how woefully inadequate BKK is right now during it's peak and start to take immediate action. If not, it's going to be a nightmare come the next peak season.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:15 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by planr
Anyone aware of a thread on FT (or elsewhere) that is actively tracking the progress of the US "application." Supposedly it was filed in 9/2007 and was expecting to take 3 years to clear...

U.S. PARTICIPATION IN THE APEC BUSINESS TRAVEL CARD (ABTC) SCHEME

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the U.S. recognize the ABTC?
• The U.S. currently recognizes the ABTC for expedited visa appointments at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. ABTC cardholders also receive expedited immigration processing through airline crew lanes upon arrival at any U.S. international airport port of entry. It does not and cannot substitute for a U.S. visa.
• The U.S. does not recognize the ABTC as a visa. Cardholders from non- Visa Waiver Program countries still need to present valid passports and obtain U.S. visas as required by United States law.

How does the U.S. plan to participate in the ABTC scheme?
• In 2007, APEC created a transitional membership category that allowed the U.S. to join the scheme even though it does not meet all the criteria of the ABTC.
• The U.S. joined the ABTC Scheme as a transitional member in September 2007. The U.S. is currently reviewing the remaining principles of the scheme.
• As a transitional member, the U.S. is exploring options on how eligible U.S. citizens may be issued the ABTC, allowing them expedited immigration processing at ABTC member airports.

Who can apply for an ABTC?
• The ABTC scheme is limited to bona fide business persons and senior government officials.
• Each member economy is responsible for vetting or “pre-clearing” their applicants. In general, applicants will have to demonstrate that they hold a current passport valid for at least 6 months, may need to travel frequently on short term visits within the APEC region to fulfill business commitments, and have not been convicted of a criminal offense.
• Business applicants may also be required to provide proof of their business affiliation.
When can U.S. citizens apply for an ABTC? Where do I apply? How much does it cost?
• We are still exploring options on how U.S. citizens may be issued the ABTC and hope to have more information for you soon. The ABTC is not yet being issued to U.S. citizens.

Do ABTC cardholders receive benefits when leaving the United States?
• There are no benefits upon departure. The U.S. does not have exit immigration procedures at international airports.

Where can I find more information on the ABTC?
• On the Business Mobility Group website: http://www.businessmobility.org/key/abtc.html
Old Feb 7, 2011, 3:13 am

Programs: Miles and More
Originally Posted by fumitani
Feb 5th...at 12 noon BKK immigration for foreign people was all the way to the back wall...Thai Passport line was about 7-8 people deep.

How long did it actually take to get through immigration / security with that long queues?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Thanks for the effort WLG, but I'm looking for something a little bit more updated than the top Google hit, which hasn't change in at least a year, IIRC.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
In the past 6 years I travelled aprox 10 times per year into BKK, never queued longer than 5 minutes. Even last week coming back from KTM ( visarun ) we only had 1 person in front of us. Of course only flying TG or *aliance premium class, so can use one of the 4 counters right side.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:54 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
When I left Sunday evening at 4PM or so I noticed that they did away with the snake line in the immigration area around the W counters and the lines were at most 7 deep. This is in stark contrast to what I experienced a month ago at 10:30PM when the lines were not just to the back wall but outside the immigration area. They also seem to have done away with the Thai-only second they'd cordoned off for Thai laborers.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: Royal Orchid, BA
Quick couple of questions on this - is this international or domestic or both? Reason I ask is I arrive into BKK next Thursday from LHR. Obviously don't want to queue too long after the flight, but do they have a "fast track" service for Business class - this is my third trip in three years, but in the past I've flown straight on down to Phuket. This time I'm stopping in Bangkok for a few days before heading off, so have never actually had the delight of arriving in Bangkok's new airport (though I have been to Bangkok a couple of times before using Don Muang).
Second question relates to security for Domestic. In Bangkok I'm meeting up with my girlfriend, who's on a r-t-w trip. We're both going onto Phuket, but for various reasons I'm on Thai and she's on Air Asia, but both flights at same time, around 12.30. We had planned to get to the airport an hour before, but is this enough time, with the security problems? I've also got the slightly embarrasing situation that I'm in Business to Phuket, so will be heading off to the Business class check-in......

Cheers
Old Feb 9, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA , Marriott Titanium
Immigration times at BKK

We arrived from PEK and than onto HKT (C class) all on Thai in mid January. There were only two officers open and the lines were long and slow. Just made our connection onward!! We had 90 minutes and used all of it in line. No lounge time.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hifirob
Quick couple of questions on this - is this international or domestic or both?
This is a discussion on immigration. Care to elaborate on the meaning of your question?

Originally Posted by hifirob
Second question relates to security for Domestic. In Bangkok I'm meeting up with my girlfriend, who's on a r-t-w trip. We're both going onto Phuket, but for various reasons I'm on Thai and she's on Air Asia, but both flights at same time, around 12.30. We had planned to get to the airport an hour before, but is this enough time, with the security problems? I've also got the slightly embarrasing situation that I'm in Business to Phuket, so will be heading off to the Business class check-in......
I'm not aware of any security problems per se. As above, care to elaborate on this question?

Air Asia can have some rather long lines at certain times of the day. If possible check all the bags on your TG C ticket and web checkin/kiosk, whatever means there is for her to avoid the long lines.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by TandJalliance
We arrived from PEK and than onto HKT (C class) all on Thai in mid January. There were only two officers open and the lines were long and slow. Just made our connection onward!! We had 90 minutes and used all of it in line. No lounge time.
That is very bizarre if you were on TG 615 unless it arrived in BKK quite a bit later than scheduled (sometimes the case due to leaving PEK late). If a normal arrival time (about 21:20-21:30), the immigration lines at BKK are usually in a "lull" period between early evening and late evening arrivals, and thus very short. My experience on this flight on January 23 was on-time arrival and immigration taking only a few minutes (in Y but sitting at front of cabin), foreigner lines at central immigration area only 4-5 people deep. Only two officers sounds unusually sparse though, that's a big part of the problem. *shakes head in wonder at Thailand operations...*

But why didn't you use Fasttrack if you were in C?
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:12 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jiejie

But why didn't you use Fasttrack if you were in C?
I've never gotten fast track passes upon arrival at BKK.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I've never gotten fast track passes upon arrival at BKK.
TG makes onboard announcemenst that C class passengers are entitled to Fast Track immigration at BKK, and they now say that the appropriate immigration counters are located opposite Gate D4.
There is also a TG sign board right next to these immigration counters showing precisely the same.
The problem is that the Immigration officers often refuse C class passengers claiming it is only for F class ...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by olivier
How long did it actually take to get through immigration / security with that long queues?
I flew domestic so....i can't comment.

OTOH Feb 6th at 9:30pm the lines were no longer than 5 people per line.

Thai citizens had nobody. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.