Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Well, from where I typically originate to fly to Thailand (Korea) there are direct flights to both CNX and HKT, which I am switching to and completely bypassing BKK from now on if possible. Unfortunate for TG though, they don't have ICN-CNX flights, and their ICN-HKT flight times aren't suitable for me. So KE and OZ will get my business now on the Thailand route.
Another example of TG losing because of the chaotic immigration situation in BKK.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Now this is an odd one. I heard it in passing a month or two ago but wasn't inclined to believe it was more than a one off.

If a pax is denied the ability to go through this immigration checkpoint then they should go through the normal one and up stairs to check in.

The domestic C counters and domestic *G counters will check you in many hours before departure.
Yes, I think the only report of it was by RoninTech, made here. I was hoping some others doing international to domestic transfers would have reported about whether this is always the case or not, and what the time-frame is, but to my knowledge, nobody has yet. So you may be right that it was just a one-off thing.

I'm not quite sure how well going through regular immigration and re-checking in would work, because if your luggage is checked through to your final destination, but you clear customs in BKK, then you won't have the CIQ or whatever sticker they give you. I could see that it could potentially cause problems in that regard. I doubt many passengers would be willing to go through regular immigration and chance having their luggage left in limbo at their final destination. But if you or anyone else has tried doing this, then please post your experiences.

The only time I tried it, I didn't have any checked luggage, so it was obviously not a problem.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 3:34 am

A little update. I arrived about 2:45PM this afternoon (16 March).

1. There is now a single line to reach immigration counters, so no more need to find the shortest queue (only to find the officer leaves when it's your turn).
2. There are now female officers (are they the riot police?) checking pax forms to make sure they're filled before they can join the line.
3. The Fast Track sign is now gone. All the way to the right of the arrival hall is still for Diplomats/Officials. There are few counters for Thais and one (that I could see) marked Priority (for 70+, pax with children and pregnant women). I used my last purple TG Fast Track and went through this lane with no problem.

The arrival hall was very crowded, but it looked much more orderly. I don't think the wait today would've been in the 2+ hours, but for my arrival next week, I am booking a pick-up service.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Yes, I think the only report of it was by RoninTech, made here. I was hoping some others doing international to domestic transfers would have reported about whether this is always the case or not, and what the time-frame is, but to my knowledge, nobody has yet. So you may be right that it was just a one-off thing.

I'm not quite sure how well going through regular immigration and re-checking in would work, because if your luggage is checked through to your final destination, but you clear customs in BKK, then you won't have the CIQ or whatever sticker they give you. I could see that it could potentially cause problems in that regard. I doubt many passengers would be willing to go through regular immigration and chance having their luggage left in limbo at their final destination. But if you or anyone else has tried doing this, then please post your experiences.

The only time I tried it, I didn't have any checked luggage, so it was obviously not a problem.
I arrived once in CNX coming in from an international flight and no 'CIQ' sticker because they never gave me one. Staff asked me for my baggage receipts and i was then allowed to proceed to the international baggage claim when deplaning from the domestic segment.

So it can be done.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:06 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
A little update. I arrived about 2:45PM this afternoon (16 March).
Thanks for the detailed report! If you want to join some FTers at BarSu this eve drop me a PM. Would be great if BKKROP would show up so we could finally meet him.

Currently on the CityLine as I missed the express. Taxi queue was really bad. Backed up to the building and turned but not quite into the terminal. I'm thinking 30 deep.

I landed around 17:00 today. TG J so I was able to use the Premium Lane directly in front of D5. It was 0.5 deep.

I had a look at the regular immigration at the EFG end of the airport (maybe BKKROP can help me with whether that is the North/South/East/West end). The line was about 4 deep with no snaking system set up. My luggage was around 14 so I was able to take a peek at the other regular immigration and there also didn't seem to be many people but they had the snake system BKKROP dislikes in HKG set up.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Thanks for that response. Yes I think the connection time is 2:20...so hopefully a sweet spot between the new 'too early' rule and getting through with some time to go to the lounge.
I had a 3+ hour connection like this to CNX 4 weeks ago and had no problem going through int'l domestic immigration and security straight away.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: A Few
1. There is now a single line to reach immigration counters, so no more need to find the shortest queue (only to find the officer leaves when it's your turn).
Although I hate the lines at BKK and still think it's a lousy airport, this is big improvement. At least the lottery of guessing which line will be fastest is gone. I'm quite tall, but always found it quite hard to tell which lines led to booths with two officers working and which only had one.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:50 pm

Smile

but for my arrival next week, I am booking a pick-up service.
Which pickup service are you going to use?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by extracta
Which pickup service are you going to use?
I recommend BFS
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Thanks for the detailed report! If you want to join some FTers at BarSu this eve drop me a PM. Would be great if BKKROP would show up so we could finally meet him.

p.
Thanks, it would be nice, but my days in Asia start at 3am and by 7pm, well I am ashamed to tell you where I am, maybe 50 years ago, I would have kept pace with you. I have often thought it would be great to put a face to a name, yet you all would be gung ho, go getters, chasing the women, drinking the bars dry, loud and obnoxious, exactly like I was
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by BKKROP
Thanks, it would be nice, but my days in Asia start at 3am and by 7pm, well I am ashamed to tell you where I am, maybe 50 years ago, I would have kept pace with you. I have often thought it would be great to put a face to a name, yet you all would be gung ho, go getters, chasing the women, drinking the bars dry, loud and obnoxious, exactly like I was
You'd be surprised how civilized many of the people here are.

When I met yosithezet last month we were in business attire and hung out at Pacific City Club for afternoon tea. My days start at 07.30 and I am in bed by 22.00. Not too hard to keep up with.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Well either you or we will be surprised I suspect. Only one way to know.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: various
Originally Posted by dsquared37
TS, while in the police department made his first big monies leasing computers to the department. It now all makes sense, we need TS back to fix this immi computer porblems.
Oh you sneaky little closet red-shirt, you! But I thought his sister was working on this....

Anyway, not to derail the thread. I'm fascinated by this idea of checking in at the domestic desks for an international flight. Somebody seriously try this out and report back before I get to Bangkok in a couple of months.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:52 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Advice Needed

I'm going to be passing through immigration tonight around 10PM in TG J.

Is fast-track gone? Should I arrange arrival services?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I'm going to be passing through immigration tonight around 10PM in TG J.

Is fast-track gone? Should I arrange arrival services?

Thanks!
It is not gone. The Fast Track or Premium Immigration across from D5 is operating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.