Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 7:26 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by tide
Ouch. Seems a painful experience.

I fly ex US-BKK 2-3x a year. Always on either UA or NH. What I usually do (and I do not know if it really works but so far so good) is this.

At NRT I check the arrival info for BKK for hours 2200 to 2300 (that's when UA837 and NH915 get in):
http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/f...arrival_en.php

I don't bother looking at equipment, I just see if flights are long-haul or short.

I take exit gate B to mean arrival at the ABC pier and exit gate C, the EFG pier. Depending on the skew, I decide which immigration point to use, all this while at NRT.

Again, gates do get changed around, flights get delayed/or early, loads unpredictable etc and I don't know if the system I use even makes sense but at least it's a plan.
@:-) That sounds like a great idea actually. But considering that piers A and B (exit gate B) are all domestic flights, wouldn't that side always be faster? (is it?)
Also, you never know how many lanes will be open at a given time, which makes a big difference too.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 5:49 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Outbound Data Point

Here's an outbound data point from August 10th (Wednesday). I was on TG471 to SYD departing at 755am.

The queues for both of the outbound immigration lines (in the center of the hall, and then one in the "furthest" end (e.g. not the domestic end)) were spilling out into the check-in areas and there were no separate counters for Thai passports, Thai's were mixed with foreigners.

By my watch (or BB as it were), I got in the queue around 645am, got stamped around 715am, and was through security in the time it took to take out my laptop and take off my belt (no queue, which I guess is good).

All in all, this was two days before the queen's birthday, so I can understand the amount of people, but not the slow processing / understaffing.

---

Just to show BKK is not alone... upon arrival in SYD (about 8pm local time), there were a grand total of TWO immigration officers handling inbound (non-ANZ) pax... took just as long as getting out of BKK despite there being far fewer people in line.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass
Just went throu the airport this morning at 08h30 and it was a joke. Both immigraition areas were full to the tilt. My colleague arrived an hour earlier than me and was in the queue 45mins.

I being not an early riser had to use one of my very precious fast tracks cards....

What a joke, it was sooooo full....
Old Aug 21, 2011, 5:20 am

Programs: TG/ROP*P; CX OW/G; LH M&M; UN Privilege; KC Nomad; IT Kingclub; SPG Platinum
just outbound;
east immigration full 20+ pax queue
chose west immigration 8+ pax
into queue 17:21; security queue 3+ pax into queue 17:27; out of security 17:33.
12mins for all - not bad.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:31 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Inbound data point. Today at 3pm at the immigration hall closest to gate C, absolute chaos - queues stretching out of the immigration hall and almost back to the 'last chance' duty free stores. So bad I couldnt cut across to the fast track line so used fast track zone in between the two main halls. That was backed up but mostly because a huge sports team from somewhere in the 'stans were being processed.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Chaos again at outbound immigration , 2 days ago , around 7 am .
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pansted00
A friendly warning to all those flying in Y and having to go through normal inbound or outbound immigration at BKK now, it is a complete zoo.
Some friends have had to wait for 1.5 to 2 hours to clear immigration on several recent flights , either inbound or outbound, with queues snaking into the main terminal.
I have personnnaly witnessed such ridiculous queues yesterday, but luckily I was flying QR in C so I had a Fast Track immigration pass.
Apparently many people are missing their flights and yet a lot of the immigration counters remain closed at peak times.
Have they not heard that it's high tourist seaason ???
You'd better fly with Business or First class for Fast Track!!^
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
We have Hurricane hwkim0505 in the TG forum.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:18 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
Inbound data point - Came in last night on TG478 from SYD, arrived at immigration around 1030pm. Almost all desks were manned and the queues were 1-2 deep... quite nice
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:20 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Arrived yesterday at noon at G3. Walked to immigration. Queues were about 8 - 10 deep at main immigration. Fasttrack was empty and the lady immigration officer smiled and was friendly. Bag was arriving on the belt when I got to the belt. Met hotel rep and was in car within 25 mins of plane door opening and at SGS 30 mins later.

One of the best inbound experiences.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:32 pm

Reports are saying that the lines have "returned" for the high season and that passenger traffic is getting back to normal. Can I get an update from anyone about how things are looking on the ground there? And how things compare to last year around this time?

Also is there an update on the new outbound security/passport control area being constructed?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MDOH
Reports are saying that the lines have "returned" for the high season and that passenger traffic is getting back to normal. Can I get an update from anyone about how things are looking on the ground there? And how things compare to last year around this time?

Also is there an update on the new outbound security/passport control area being constructed?

Last I was in the lobby, a few weeks ago, the construction was still going on.

I've been lucky recently and have consistently been going through immigration at other airports. This evening we need to head up to the fourth floor for other reasons but I'll take a look at the lines if we have time.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB

The incoming queues on 29th December 2011 around 19.00 were quite bad, an hour's wait, I should estimate. They stretched back to the sloping ramp. Not as bad as on the same date the year before though when they stretched back to the duty free stalls.
The outbound construction seems not to cause too much of a problem but I usually use the passport queues near rows S to U, having checked the TV screens.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:15 am

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to be flying in and out a few times in a couple weeks at various times of the day, so it's all good to know.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: CharlesPoedyOB
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to be flying in and out a few times in a couple weeks at various times of the day, so it's all good to know.
And please let us know the current situation in a couple of weeks, it is most helpful. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.