Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning on current immigration clearance time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Came into BKK yesterday morning. Lines for entry immigration were stretching down to the carpeted hallway area. I needing to pick my through to get to the rightmost area for TG C fastrack, showed BP to the line dragon and nothing more was inquired about at the counter. Was processed quite quickly and the only one at the baggage carousel for a good 5+ minutes.

This was at 11AM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Came into BKK yesterday morning. Lines for entry immigration were stretching down to the carpeted hallway area. I needing to pick my through to get to the rightmost area for TG C fastrack, showed BP to the line dragon and nothing more was inquired about at the counter. Was processed quite quickly and the only one at the baggage carousel for a good 5+ minutes.

This was at 11AM.
Looks like inbound immigration is also taking a turn for the worse...
Good to see that you could sue the TG Fast Track lane .
Old Feb 24, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Article below from BT about this saying they are looking at it. It's so short and lacking of attributable comments if I didn't know better I'd think it was another example of BT articles created following what they've read elsewhere...

The Immigration Bureau of Thailand is finalising a study that seeks to provide solutions to speed up the long immigration process at Suvarnabhumi Airport, particularly within the departure section.

The transport permanent secretary Supoj Saplom told local media that they have two weeks to propose ways of improving the present system. He added that hiring more immigration officers to man the counters would be one part of the solution.

The immigration facilities at the airport have recently been over flooded by a surge in passengers. Currently, 90,000 passengers pass through the airport per day, making Suvarbhumi the 16th busiest airport in the world in 2009 based on figures from Airports Council International.
http://www.businesstraveller.com/asi...abhumi-airport

The one about the security problems is presumably in next weeks edition.

Just on inbound immigration, I have seen it get progressively worse since the last quarter, or maybe even last half, of last year. I can't complain about my last one a couple of weeks ago though ; arrived early on TG462 from MEL before 4am and there was neither pax nor staff at the immigration desks!. We only had to wait a minute or so then they started appearing bleary eyed from the side. I also had to wake the girls at the AOT Limo desk up as well, who had made themselves nice little pillows with towels and were well away.

It's a nice change seeing Suvarnabhumi completely deserted and totally quiet.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer

One would assume so yes.

BTW, you were in MEL and I didn't know about it?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Just on inbound immigration, I have seen it get progressively worse since the last quarter, or maybe even last half, of last year.
The immigration facilities at the airport have recently been over flooded by a surge in passengers.
http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2010/1...-winning-ways/
Over 10 months, January to October, Suvarnabhumi Airport showed an increase for both international and domestic aircraft movements of 4.98% from 149,535 and 1.21% from 59,522 over the same period last year.

International passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport, during the same period, increased 23.23% (31,803,700 from 24,414,263), while domestic passenger traffic fell 2.76% (8,049,999 from 8,272,556) over the same period last year.

The transport permanent secretary Supoj Saplom told local media that they have two weeks to propose ways of improving the present system. He added that hiring more immigration officers to man the counters would be one part of the solution.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2010/1...ts/#more-19769
Suvarnabhumi to shift security checkpoints

BANGKOK, 1 October 2010 – Suvarnabhumi Airport plans relocate security checkpoints for international passengers from behind the immigration areas to a new zone to be built on a deck hanging from the ceiling of the departure hall. The project will be ready by mid-2011.

Suvarnabhumi Airport former director, Niran Thiranartsin (transfers to Don Mueang Airport today), told TTR Weekly that the airport authorities had gained approval from the board for a Bt148 million budget to build a floating platform between the floor and the ceiling of the departure hall, above immigration area that will accommodate security check points.

Currently there are two security check points behind the immigration counters, east and west.

“When complete, the new security check area will increase in size from 1,200 sqm (east and west) to 3,600 sqm and will have 30 scanners, up from the current 16 machines. There will be eight escalators to and from the raised area,” Mr Niran explained.

Passengers will go up to the platform on four escalators, pass through the security check scanners and then descend on separate escalators directly to the immigration checkpoint hall, which is a secure zone for passengers and airport officials only.

Mr Niran said passengers would be able to hand over liquids or expensive cosmetics to their relatives and friends before passing through the security checkpoints which is not possible at present as the scanners are located after immigration counters.

The airport authorities will soon open the project for bids by issuing a TOR (Terms of References).

“We have shown the TSA ( US Transportation Security Administration) officials who visited the airport recently and they support the idea. This November, the Airports of Thailand president and top executives will vsit the US to study security measures and equipments that has TSA’s stamp of approval.”

Last year, when AoT relocated the scanners to a zone immediately after the immigration checkpoints, travellers and editorials in this publication criticised the move claiming the area was too small and to make it more convenient for passengers, duty free shops would have to be dismantled.

Based on designs dating back to the mid- 90s, the airport opened in 2006 with security checkpoints located at concourses just before the holding lounges and air bridges. However, airport designs post 2001 era tended to favour consolidated security checkpoints located either before or directly after the immigration zone.

At the time, airlines based at Suvarnabhumi Airport also favoured the consolidation of security checkpoints directly after immigration zones because it helped to speed up boarding times.

However, with time some airline managers acknowledged that the post-immigration checkpoints zones were cramped and inadequate causing more delays during peak hours than when security scanners were located at the individual concourses.

Short of evicting high revenue earning dut- free shops to free up more space behind immigration, the only practical alternative appears to be a Bt148 million investment in a floating zone anchored to the departure hall ceiling.

Mr Niran also commented on controversial body scanners saying AoT would study advanced imaging technology units after TSA begins installation in US airports from March 2011.

Earlier this year, Suvarnabhumi Airport tested body scanners using microwave imaging equipment called Brijot Gen2 supplied by Law Enforcement Technology the distributor in Thailand.

“That didn’t work. We stopped the trial after a week or so,” the airport director said.

By the end of this year, Suvarnabhumi Airport will introduce 16 self check-in kiosks, priced at Bt60,000 to 70,000 per unit and provided by Samart. The airport will recruit staff to assist passengers that are not used to the technology and the airport will not charge the airlines for this service.

“ I don’t think the airlines would be happy to pay any additional cost.”
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by dazz81
One would assume so yes.

BTW, you were in MEL and I didn't know about it?
I wasn't there for long. We got the Sunday morning flight down from BKK getting to the airport Hilton at 2130ish. Got up on Monday morning and flew to Tassie for 5 hours for a meeting then flew back to MEL same day to get TG462 back up to BKK. Not a great deal of time to do much else I'm afraid.

Crikey, he's here again with his security obsession. Let it go fella, you'll live longer.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Thanks A_Lee, I will try to remember to have a look at this next week. I spend so much time at security, fighting with officials. I am always being checked when I am running late or least expect it, then when I make sure all is in order the blighters wave me through. I am thinking about having "this contains 100ml" also "this is an electric razor" "I use these tablets for ..." labels made to put on hand baggage items. Interesting numbers, can you imagine the old airport handling these.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a nice change seeing Suvarnabhumi completely deserted and totally quiet.
I arrived during the curfew in May and the place was deserted. Cool pics though. Any major incidents with the upcoming election could have a similar effect later this year.

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Thanks A_Lee, I will try to remember to have a look at this next week. I spend so much time at security, fighting with officials. I am always being checked when I am running late or least expect it, then when I make sure all is in order the blighters wave me through. I am thinking about having "this contains 100ml" also "this is an electric razor" "I use these tablets for ..." labels made to put on hand baggage items. Interesting numbers, can you imagine the old airport handling these.
I've had the exact opposite dealings at security. They never even ask about the liquids I don't take out of my carry-on (which is why I leave them inside the bag).
Old Feb 25, 2011, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pansted00
Looks like inbound immigration is also taking a turn for the worse...
Good to see that you could sue the TG Fast Track lane .
Not sure what the settlement would be.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 2:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not sure what the settlement would be.
This is Thailand. A happy ending is to be expected ...
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
It's good to hear that despite there being no problems with security at the moment that they are planning for the future when there potentially will be if immigration works a bit faster.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 5:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dazz81
It's good to hear that despite there being no problems with security at the moment that they are planning for the future when there potentially will be if immigration works a bit faster.
Don' t get ahead of yourself Dazz . Planning is not something Thai public organizations are particularly good at ( BKK being the best example, being already stretched to its operational limit only only 5 years after its opening )
And maybe they should start by solving problems that do exist now , like long immigration lines .
It looks like they are only paying lip service to this issue , and I can't say I am surprised .
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: various
As a building industry professional and knowing this airport, I'm having a hard time envisioning the design and engineering of this "security mezzanine" that they are proposing to place above the immigration area. It sounds like after checkin, one will go up escalators first through security, then down again to immigration. The whole thing sounds very user-unfriendly as it's never the greatest of ideas to put these functions on different levels. Frankly, it also sounds over complicated and expensive from an engineering standpoint, unfriendly and completely disruptive during construction.

There's no question that with current physical setup, there's no way to add enough immigration to both handle peak season loads AND ALSO keep security from jamming up. But it seems to make a lot more sense to simply take away some of the duty free shopping area that is frankly, underutilized and can't possibly be producing the revenue the Thais claim, and turn it over to operational areas. It would be overall cheaper, quicker, and less disruptive. This logic will, of course, completely escape the AOT as it will be more of a priority to preserve King Power's turf and whatever corruption/ kickback agreements are in place behind the scenes. Given the limitations of the lousy airport design, it's not the easiest terminal to find ideal options to solve this problem, but there's got to be better than what's proposed above.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jiejie
The whole thing sounds very user-unfriendly as it's never the greatest of ideas to put these functions on different levels.
Why? Works well at Narita.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Why? Works well at Narita.
Outbound immigration queues at NRT can be at times very long also .
The difference is it takes a japanese iimmigration officer half the time it takes a Thai to process one pax .
As simple as that really .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.