FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Are they restricting pre take off champagne on regional flights ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1169787-they-restricting-pre-take-off-champagne-regional-flights.html)

MAN Flyer Jan 8, 2011 9:48 am

Are they restricting pre take off champagne on regional flights ?

I flew TG404 SIN-BKK earlier this week and they came around with the drinks tray containing juice and water before take off. When I asked for a glass of champagne he said 'Sorry sir, no more pre-take off champagne on this flight'. When I asked 'Since when ?' he said January 1st, and added he had only found out that morning.

Now I know they are in the habit of taking two steps forward and one back, but I can't believe they would do this as the savings would be negligible. Anyone else either had it or been denied it this month, particularly on SIN-BKK ?.

Aussie_flyer Jan 8, 2011 11:38 am

sheesh, that's ridiculous MAN Flyer.

I hope this is not the new norm !

Airgroovin Jan 8, 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dazz81 (Post 15612289)
sheesh, that's ridiculous MAN Flyer.

I hope this is not the new norm !

I agree...! I would have had a hissy fit :)

Cheers,

AG. :-:

dan1431 Jan 12, 2011 7:37 am

While I have no idea whatsoever, I am going to speculate that it may have something to do with paying tax on alcohol on the ground.

In my experience US Airways will not offer alcohol as a preflight beverage in many States because they do not want to pay the local State tax on alcohol. With regards to CO, they will not offer any kind of alcohol other than Sparkling wine on the ground in any foreign country because they do not want to pay too much tax while on the ground.

Dan

United_Flyer3 Jan 12, 2011 10:29 am

I'm on TG404 in February and I'll ask for champagne just to see what they say then. Will report back.
I really hope that they haven't stopped it though!

dan1431 Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Likewise will post the answer that I am given if PDB Champagne is not offered.

Dan

dsquared37 Jan 17, 2011 9:32 pm

Last night on TG584 BKK-PNH I was in the first row of Y but able to see into the rear C section on the AB6. It appeared the tray of pre-departure drinks contained champagne.

Airgroovin Jan 17, 2011 11:21 pm

It seems to be random - how very bizarre for Thai! ;)

Cheers,

AG. :-:

Q Shoe Guy Jan 17, 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 15679437)
Last night on TG584 BKK-PNH I was in the first row of Y but able to see into the rear C section on the AB6. It appeared the tray of pre-departure drinks contained champagne.

But then again, wine and spirits in Cambodia can be had pretty cheaply!;)

dsquared37 Jan 18, 2011 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 15679908)
But then again, wine and spirits in Cambodia can be had pretty cheaply!;)

Understatement of the week.:D

newshound Jan 20, 2011 6:15 am

I flew TG 629 this afternoon HKG - BKK and can confirm champagne was served (and consumed!) before take off.

Q Shoe Guy Jan 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 15680203)
Understatement of the week.:D

I wouldn't doubt they send some staff to go out and buy supplies @ PNH(as the taxes are quite negotiable:p) !

dsquared37 Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 15700838)
I wouldn't doubt they send some staff to go out and buy supplies @ PNH(as the taxes are quite negotiable:p) !

So long as they don't buy at duty free where the cost of a bottle is 2x the in-town cost.

Q Shoe Guy Jan 21, 2011 12:36 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37 (Post 15701246)
So long as they don't buy at duty free where the cost of a bottle is 2x the in-town cost.

Frequent travelers know that duty free isn't very free!:D Last time I was through I think you could get a bottle of Moet for $20 at Lucky :p!

dsquared37 Jan 21, 2011 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy (Post 15702515)
Frequent travelers know that duty free isn't very free!:D Last time I was through I think you could get a bottle of Moet for $20 at Lucky :p!

I don't recall champagne being a great purchase, but I rarely get past 1L Bombay Sapphire for $13.50 to even check.:D