Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Are they restricting pre take off champagne on regional flights ?

Are they restricting pre take off champagne on regional flights ?

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
The A350 experience in Business Class between Melbourne and Bangkok has been reviewed recently - "underwhelming" could sum up the reviewer's experience Airline review: Thai Airways A350 business class, Melbourne to Bangkok
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by RTWFF
The A350 experience in Business Class between Melbourne and Bangkok has been reviewed recently - "underwhelming" could sum up the reviewer's experience Airline review: Thai Airways A350 business class, Melbourne to Bangkok
well what was "underwhelming"?
- a communication issue with the FA (you can always TELL the FA what drink you would have together with what meal; I had never any shortage on TG)
- missing vegetarian alternatives on the normal menu (if you are vegetarian you should order your special meal and there are also vegetarian preorder meals)
SKT-DK likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I thought the review a tad on the pessimistic side. I have never had reason to complain about the service - but maybe I am used to the TG service protocols. The lounges are a shame in Bangkok, but a trip to the SQ lounge would have sorted that out (after the 30 minute massage of course!)

Agree the menu isn't vegetarian friendly, and those unaware might be caught out (most airlines go down the 'cheap' route of offering one choice of vegetarian pasta with tomato sauce. But that often feels like cost cutting rather than a genuine concern for passenger preference.)

Bed length - can be an issue for tall people if sleeping only on your back or stomach, but recently I've moved to sleeping on my side and the seat is very comfortable for that.

The midnight flight back from BKK to MEL I reckon can be underwhelming. Nothing to eat in the lounges of any note, and only a small meal before breakfast 7 hours later. Fine, perhaps, if you originate in BKK, but not if you are connecting (or unless you visited SQ's lounge).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Pleasant surprise on TG410 last night, they served Champagne as PDB, ex SIN new policy ? Or did the Crew make a mistake ?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
who knows......!! but nice to see.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
Pleasant surprise on TG410 last night, they served Champagne as PDB, ex SIN new policy ? Or did the Crew make a mistake ?
not really a mistake, but they probably did not follow official policy...
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BinSabai
not really a mistake, but they probably did not follow official policy...
I thought it might be a case of Amazing Thailand whilst hoping for an improvement from TG.
BinSabai and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I like to think that occasionally I post positive comments, so here goes:

Yesterday I flew TG TPE-BKK in C (7 am flight). I asked for a glass of champagne pre-departure, and I did receive Veuve Clicquot pre-departure, with no problems. The FA said whether this happens depends on the station. Plane was a B777-200, seating was 2-2-2. Plane was at most 15-20% full, in both C and Y I was shocked. I received great service, but one wonders how long this flight can last. Why is TG running a B777 on this route, one wonders.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
... but one wonders how long this flight can last. Why is TG running a B777 on this route, one wonders.
First thought is that there should be a market for it on average. 15-20% full sounds to me like a rare event (but a great one for the service level in your case )

Another reason could be that TG is still suffering from the 787 issues grounding four out of six of their 788s (judging by FR24 frames TQC, D, E and F are still not operating). These are the only type in the fleet which are significantly smaller than the 772 (both ER and non-ER). All others, except of course the larger ones, are pretty much similar size to the 772, with capacity of approx. +/-20 seats.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TG410 yesterday, SIN to BKK only soft drinks offered for PDB, requested Champagne and told its not allowed at Changi ...
Spoke to FM & She had been told no flights departing SIN on any airline can serve alcohol as PDB, I put Her right on the subject for all the good it will do
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by chris63
TG410 yesterday, SIN to BKK only soft drinks offered for PDB, requested Champagne and told its not allowed at Changi ...
Spoke to FM & She had been told no flights departing SIN on any airline can serve alcohol as PDB, I put Her right on the subject for all the good it will do
that is going on for many years...just wonder why FA still pretend it is for all airlines as everybody knows...
Usually on TG from and to SIN is the worst service in J of all international routes...
chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BinSabai
that is going on for many years...just wonder why FA still pretend it is for all airlines as everybody knows...
Usually on TG from and to SIN is the worst service in J of all international routes...
Likely because someone at TG have told them that is the case, and nobody dares to question it
Whenever I have to go to SIN these days, I try to plan so that I can catch the one CX flight in both directions - not only if is often half the price, but it is also much better than the alternative.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Likely because someone at TG have told them that is the case, and nobody dares to question it
Whenever I have to go to SIN these days, I try to plan so that I can catch the one CX flight in both directions - not only if is often half the price, but it is also much better than the alternative.
I had a TG flight in Y (K actually for some few miles) BKK-SIN-BKK for next month. The fare cost THB12,400. SQ had a sale recently where J was THB 13,500 BKK-SIN-BKK. So I cancelled the TG flight took a refund of THB 10,200 (so lost THB 2,000), and booked the SQ flights for THB 13,500.

I am pretty happy even for this short flight for THB 15,400 J return on SQ. The BKK-SON is the late flight, and is not changeable or cancellable - but this is OK since it is 1 month away and plans are locked. I wonder if SQ will serve me a pre-departure tipple leaving SIN?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I had a TG flight in Y (K actually for some few miles) BKK-SIN-BKK for next month. The fare cost THB12,400. SQ had a sale recently where J was THB 13,500 BKK-SIN-BKK. So I cancelled the TG flight took a refund of THB 10,200 (so lost THB 2,000), and booked the SQ flights for THB 13,500.

I am pretty happy even for this short flight for THB 15,400 J return on SQ. The BKK-SON is the late flight, and is not changeable or cancellable - but this is OK since it is 1 month away and plans are locked. I wonder if SQ will serve me a pre-departure tipple leaving SIN?
That is a pretty good deal, and definitely worth the lost 2,000 THB! I think I have only ever seen CX J at that price on the BKK-SIN route, not TG nor SQ!
Enjoy your champagne on the ground in SIN on SQ
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
That is a pretty good deal, and definitely worth the lost 2,000 THB! I think I have only ever seen CX J at that price on the BKK-SIN route, not TG nor SQ!
Enjoy your champagne on the ground in SIN on SQ
+ 1 👍

That is a bargain ! & as you say no question there will be Champagne PDB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.