Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Thai Airways (TG) [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:25 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Is J better on the A346 or B773? Also, what config is used in the A345s? Thanks.

ETA: I'm tossing up between flying out of SYD or MEL to BKK and the aircraft type will assist that decision. The A345 is on the flight to NRT.

Last edited by *A Flyer; Dec 7, 2010 at 12:58 am
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Is J better on the A346 or B773? Also, what config is used in the A345s? Thanks.

ETA: I'm tossing up between flying out of SYD or MEL to BKK and the aircraft type will assist that decision. The A345 is on the flight to NRT.
The seats are basically the same on all 3. 2x2x2 on the Airbus' and 2x3x2 on the 773
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I'm flying AKL-PVG-BKK on 1/1/11, the latter leg on TG is at 8:45AM. I have a 95-minute layover at PVG. Considering it's 1/1 and that I'm landing at PVG at 7:10AM, will 95 minutes be enough time to connect? Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I'm flying AKL-PVG-BKK on 1/1/11, the latter leg on TG is at 8:45AM. I have a 95-minute layover at PVG. Considering it's 1/1 and that I'm landing at PVG at 7:10AM, will 95 minutes be enough time to connect? Thanks.
Minimum connecting time is 2h 30 min, depending on the terminal you will be using. Strict minimum is 2h.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by HONcircle
Minimum connecting time is 2h 30 min, depending on the terminal you will be using. Strict minimum is 2h.
Yipes. Is that the "official" minimum connection time, or based on personal experience (which I'd trust more!)?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: *A GOLD, EL AL PLATINUM, ONEWORLD*SAPPHIRE, ACCOR CLUB PLATINUM, Human Race Platinum for life
Yipes. Is that the "official" minimum connection time, or based on personal experience (which I'd trust more!)?
Official, which still implies that the airline is responsible to ensure you have your connection. I'd still aim for a longer connection if possible.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 8:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
First of all, you are crossposting - big no,no on FT

Second, I would believe that your connection is illegal as per this MCT table:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.0.0/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: PVG/NZ-TG]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         PVG                          020 060 060 060  
TERMINAL:         PVG  1  TO  1                120 120 120 120  
                       1  TO  2                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  1                150 150 150 150  
                       2  TO  2                120 120 120 120  
EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L              TR DEPARR                                      
NZ                     PVG                     --- --- 240 240  
-ALL-               SHA                                         
NZ               1                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            1                                              
NZ               1                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            2                                              
NZ               2                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            1                                              
NZ               2                             --- --- 150 150  
-ALL-            2                                              
**END OF DISPLAY**
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Great thread. While not a FlyerTalk newbie, I appreciate the offer to help out a clueless UA guy on some basic Thai Airways info. I have read a bunch of the Thai forum, but still have a couple of questions.

I have finally booked a First Class award ticket, going to BKK. While always great to visit Thailand, I am really jazzed about my first real International trip in FC, and my first ride with Thai Airways. While certainly not an ideal routing, it was a short notice trip so I felt lucky to find award space at all....

My return begins with TG 614 (BKK to PEK). From what I can see, this is First class in a 3 cabin aircraft, 747-400 (7442 model). I have called and been assigned 2B. It is showing as booking code First (O).

I guess the main question I have is regarding the service to expect, both on the ground and in the air. As it is a shorter / regional type length (4hour, 40 min) instead of a long-haul, is there any differentiation in service?

First class check in?, buggy to lounge / spa?, buggy to gate?, type of meal service to be expected (caviar and champagne....or tea and sandwich...lol)? My itin from United indicates "no meal service" for this flight, which I find hard to believe...

Any info you can share to help set my expectation for the regional service levels would be great.

One other question, assuming I have access to the spa at BKK, which I think I do, is there any need to make a reservation prior to arrival at BKK? if so, how?
Flight departs at 10:10, so I would probably want a massage around 7:30 or 8:00. Not sure if this is a peak time or not.

Thanks again for all info and assistance provided. If you are ever stuck on UA, I would be happy to return the favor.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goodeats21

My return begins with TG 614 (BKK to PEK). From what I can see, this is First class in a 3 cabin aircraft, 747-400 (7442 model). I have called and been assigned 2B. It is showing as booking code First (O).

I guess the main question I have is regarding the service to expect, both on the ground and in the air. As it is a shorter / regional type length (4hour, 40 min) instead of a long-haul, is there any differentiation in service?

First class check in?, buggy to lounge / spa?, buggy to gate?, type of meal service to be expected (caviar and champagne....or tea and sandwich...lol)? My itin from United indicates "no meal service" for this flight, which I find hard to believe...
If you are departing BKK in F, regardless of award or rev ticket, you will able to use the F check in, expedited immigration, F lounge, 1 hour spa etc. I don't think TG serves caviar on the shorter flights, but you will have champagne (though not Dom). Others can comment on the food.

Originally Posted by goodeats21

One other question, assuming I have access to the spa at BKK, which I think I do, is there any need to make a reservation prior to arrival at BKK? if so, how?
Flight departs at 10:10, so I would probably want a massage around 7:30 or 8:00. Not sure if this is a peak time or not.

Thanks again for all info and assistance provided. If you are ever stuck on UA, I would be happy to return the favor.
When you arrive at the F lounge you can schedule the massage. It's not able to be done ahead of time.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks dsquared37.
I appreciate the info.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:13 am

A new question about FCL

I have a question in regards to the FCL in BKK.

Everytime that I have used the showers in the FCL of BKK, I felt that there was not enough watepressure, and that the water was not hot enough.

Am I just being fussy, or have others had similar impressions when having a shower in BKK?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: QR Plat, TK *G, AB G
Gold Renewal

just a short question:

i attained first gold in dec. 2008. unfortunately i didn't reach the 50k again in the first year of my gold membership.

i just checked my status online and got the following:

do i now get a gold renewal for the next 2 years as i have flown more than 80 since jan 2009?
do you know when TG will update my status as i will fly on TG from FRA to BKK on Jan 1 2011 and of course would need the additional baggage allowance.

thanks for any reply
H.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:22 pm

hi hegemonie, yes I believe you get Gold renewal since you flew 80K.
I'm not sure when they update your status so it might be a good idea to take along a printout of your account balance to prove how much you flew previously.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by HONcircle
I have a question in regards to the FCL in BKK.

Everytime that I have used the showers in the FCL of BKK, I felt that there was not enough watepressure, and that the water was not hot enough.

Am I just being fussy, or have others had similar impressions when having a shower in BKK?
Others have shared in your frustrations. I've found the showers in the E lounges work better than in C (for hot water). However my showers in the FCL have been great. I'll check again this afternoon.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:50 pm
Ambassador: Thai Airways

Programs: UA 1k, TG Gold, LT Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
hegemonie, ROP system updates on Wed and Fri (dont' ask me why), so it depends on when the last flight that brought up your qualifying miles above 80K was posted.

Just look for when your 5K threshold bonus miles is posted, once that is posted, you can be assured your Gold status for the next two years are properly updated in their system and you can start using your GUP1 too if you have a trip in Jan that you want to use it for.

Keep in mind you may not see the validity changed to Dec 2012 until after new year (again, don't ask me why).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.