Minimum connecting time BKK

Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
You'll be fine even if the inbound is 2hrs late. Perhaps a bit rushed, but fine.
...and not even a jet lag as returning back to Europe immediately...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:50 am
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
You'll be fine even if the inbound is 2hrs late. Perhaps a bit rushed, but fine.
...and not even a jet lag as returning back to Europe immediately...
Yes true lol It was some amazing fares in business class I could not resist.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DMD, MR SL
I am looking at itenerary in early November KBV-BKK on TG arriving BKK 16:05
connecting to BKK-HKG on CX(J) leaving BKK 17:40

Is 1:35 enough time to get bags, check in with CX and get to gate? With CX J will we get expedited through security? Just me and my wife

Thanks
Old May 11, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ginterparkdj

Is 1:35 enough time to get bags, check in with CX and get to gate? With CX J will we get expedited through security? Just me and my wife

Thanks
you can make it if first leg not delayed and luggage is not delayed.
you will get a voucher for fast track security/immigration but you need to check deadline for check in for CX in BKK
Old May 12, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ginterparkdj

Thanks
Originally Posted by BinSabai
you can make it if first leg not delayed and luggage is not delayed.
Exactly. This is a tighter schedule than I'd feel comfortable with.
Old May 12, 2017, 7:52 pm

Exactly. This is a tighter schedule than I'd feel comfortable with.
there are people more adventurous out there...
Old May 12, 2017, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are people more adventurous out there...
I'm typically adventurous. However, when you're dealing with high season late afternoon flights I've seen too much go pear shape too quickly to take those chances.
Old May 28, 2017, 8:09 am

Hi all,

After going through most of this thread I remain a little confused, as there seems to be some contradictory info.

I am flying PVG to BKK on either TG or China Eastern (it's an award ticket). I then plan to continue on to USM on Bangkok Airways with a revenue ticket. I do not plan to check bags.

I am just trying to figure out:

-- With no checked baggage, but with a PG boarding pass, can I stay in transit / airside? Or do I still have to clear customs and immigration at BKK and check in landside? This is the part that various threads offer different responses, especially since PG changed their interlining policy in 2016 - regardless of whether one has bags to check or not.

-- Assuming that I DO have to clear customs and go landside, how much time should I allow between the Thai / China Eastern flights and the Bangkok Airways flight? TG gets into BKK at 11:05am and MU gets into BKK at 12:30pm. It is a Thursday in August. I am aware that PVG is subject to delays, too.

Any help would be much appreciated; thanks in advance!

Joe

Last edited by nyjoe4; May 28, 2017 at 8:30 am
Old May 28, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
While not really specific to your case, TG or MU can make a HUGE difference Read here.

In your case and no bags, I say if on TG (or any PG interline) you can CIQ and do the immigration at USM.
If on MU, likely you have to clear at BKK. Not sure even if you have a valid BKK-USM boarding pass they will let you skip BKK.

Again I'm not 100% positive.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nyjoe4
Hi all,

After going through most of this thread I remain a little confused, as there seems to be some contradictory info.

I am flying PVG to BKK on either TG or China Eastern (it's an award ticket). I then plan to continue on to USM on Bangkok Airways with a revenue ticket. I do not plan to check bags.

I am just trying to figure out:

-- With no checked baggage, but with a PG boarding pass, can I stay in transit / airside? Or do I still have to clear customs and immigration at BKK and check in landside? This is the part that various threads offer different responses, especially since PG changed their interlining policy in 2016 - regardless of whether one has bags to check or not.

-- Assuming that I DO have to clear customs and go landside, how much time should I allow between the Thai / China Eastern flights and the Bangkok Airways flight? TG gets into BKK at 11:05am and MU gets into BKK at 12:30pm. It is a Thursday in August. I am aware that PVG is subject to delays, too.

Any help would be much appreciated; thanks in advance!

Joe
With no checked bags you fall into an interesting category.

Backing up for a moment: All pax entering BKK go through immigration but those continuing on to CEI, CNX, HDY, KBV, HKT and USM can handle customs at that airport. All other domestic airport destinations require customs to be undertaken along with immigration at BKK.

There are two channels to clear immi in BKK. The first is the widely known immi halls followed by baggage carousels and finally customs. Pax enter the landside on Floor 2 and can go upstairs to FLoor 4 to check in for further flights if necessary. The second way is mid-field immigration through which only those pax headed to the aforementioned domestic airports can pass (and who have had their baggage interlined to the dom flight). This second area is at the confluence of A/B/C/D concourses and spits you out into the domestic concourses (A/B). Just prior is the domestic transfer desks for PG and TG.

It doesn't matter what airline you take to BKK since you aren't checking bags, you'll just head to the A/B/C/D confluence, pick up your BP at the desk (if needed) and be processed there.

At USM you would be shunted off to the international arrivals area upon disembarkation. Other pax without a CIQ sticker would go to the domestic arrivals for baggage. As an international pax you would retrieve your bags and then go through customs.... you see, here's where your's is an interesting case: Once in the domestic area of BKK you take off your CIQ sticker and upon arrival in USM you simply walk with the majority of pax to the domestic baggage claim and out to the street.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
While not really specific to your case, TG or MU can make a HUGE difference Read here.

In your case and no bags, I say if on TG (or any PG interline) you can CIQ and do the immigration at USM.
If on MU, likely you have to clear at BKK. Not sure even if you have a valid BKK-USM boarding pass they will let you skip BKK.

Again I'm not 100% positive.
The link you posted has nothing to do with OP. As a whole the page is about through check in, more specifically the first section is outbound pax and the second only deals with getting a BP from the inbound airline.

All pax arriving in BKK (and not continuing to another international flight) undergo immi in BKK.

As for the BP, that can be picked up at the domestic transfer desk just before transfer immi at the A/B/C/D confluence.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:27 am

With no checked bags you fall into an interesting category.

Backing up for a moment: All pax entering BKK go through immigration but those continuing on to CEI, CNX, HDY, KBV, HKT and USM can handle customs at that airport. All other domestic airport destinations require customs to be undertaken along with immigration at BKK.

There are two channels to clear immi in BKK. The first is the widely known immi halls followed by baggage carousels and finally customs. Pax enter the landside on Floor 2 and can go upstairs to FLoor 4 to check in for further flights if necessary. The second way is mid-field immigration through which only those pax headed to the aforementioned domestic airports can pass (and who have had their baggage interlined to the dom flight). This second area is at the confluence of A/B/C/D concourses and spits you out into the domestic concourses (A/B). Just prior is the domestic transfer desks for PG and TG.

It doesn't matter what airline you take to BKK since you aren't checking bags, you'll just head to the A/B/C/D confluence, pick up your BP at the desk (if needed) and be processed there.

At USM you would be shunted off to the international arrivals area upon disembarkation. Other pax without a CIQ sticker would go to the domestic arrivals for baggage. As an international pax you would retrieve your bags and then go through customs.... you see, here's where your's is an interesting case: Once in the domestic area of BKK you take off your CIQ sticker and upon arrival in USM you simply walk with the majority of pax to the domestic baggage claim and out to the street.
very detailed and appropriate description!
I fully agree that in this case, poster can do immigration in BKK and stay airside, whether he has Boarding pass or Need to go to Transfer desk in BKK to get it.
actually not necessary to take off CIQ sticker and go through domestic Arrival. Can also exit through international Arrival

one small formal issue: such passengers actually clear immigration (not customs) in BKK and customs at final destination (so take off CIQ sticker, go through domestic and NOT go with hand luggage through customs would actually be NOT correct! of course nobody would realize, but do we want to advise non correct behavior if not absolutely necessary?
Old May 29, 2017, 7:02 am

Thank you, dsquared37, BinSabai and Johnny Rockets - that's all very helpful, and much appreciated.

Our of curiosity, assuming all goes smoothly and I stay airside, how much time would you allow between arriving in BKK and departing to USM?

And if for some reason I was required to check a bag, and shunted landside, how much additional time would you allow? (I am planning for the worst, as I don't really know what MU are like with their carry on policies)...

Flights arrive from PVG between 11am and 12:30pm, on a Thursday in late July.

Thank you again. I love this board!

Joe

Last edited by nyjoe4; May 29, 2017 at 7:28 am
Old May 29, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by nyjoe4
Thank you, dsquared37, BinSabai and Johnny Rockets - that's all very helpful, and much appreciated.

Our of curiosity, assuming all goes smoothly and I stay airside, how much time would you allow between arriving in BKK and departing to USM?

And if for some reason I was required to check a bag, and shunted landside, how much additional time would you allow? (I am planning for the worst, as I don't really know what MU are like with their carry on policies)...

Flights arrive from PVG between 11am and 12:30pm, on a Thursday in late July.

Thank you again. I love this board!

Joe
normally 70-90 minutes includes some reserves...but from PVG I would certainly add some time
and for leaving airside and check in additional 20-30 minutes (if on J with fast track, much less need to be added)
Old May 29, 2017, 7:44 am

normally 70-90 minutes includes some reserves...but from PVG I would certainly add some time
and for leaving airside and check in additional 20-30 minutes (if on J with fast track, much less need to be added)
Thanks again, BinSabai. I will possibly be arriving into BKK in J, but definitely flying to USM in Y.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.