Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connecting time BKK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago
Thank you Thai-Kiwi. To be clear, the flights I am considering are on the same ticket. So I know TG will help me out in case I miss the connection.

My only question is what is their policy like? Can I expect to be put on the next flight from BKK to HYD (on any airline and connecting through any city as needed)? Or will they put me on the next TG flight that has award availability (even if that means I am stuck in BKK for a couple of days)?
I have no experience for the situation you describe, but others may be able to provide an opinion.

For what it is worth, I suspect TG would try and put you on another TG service that has a seat in the same cabin (irrespective of revenue or award). Of course, having travel insurance is useful if the offered solutions didn't work for you.

I see there is a single daily flight BKK-HYD (?), so could be a minimum 24 hours delay. THAI should provide accommodation and cash for meals if there is a missed connection.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Apr 24, 2019 at 7:21 am
Old May 24, 2019, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I'm flying SFO-HKG-BKK on CX, arriving in BKK at 11:15 AM in mid February.

Idea is to transfer to a separate TG flight to Chiang Mai.

How long to get through immigration, reclaim my bags, check in for the domestic flight should I allow.

First time visitor, US passport. It appears there's no special visas required like other Asian countries for US passport holders?

I see 1:15 and 5:10 PM departures for the BKK-CNX flights. Any chance I could make the 1:15 PM departure?

Otherwise I may consider flights on other airlines between the 1:15 and 5:10 PM TG flights.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You could definitely make it to the 1:15 PM departure - even if your incoming flight is late and you have to píckup luggage for re-checkin with TG at BKK. In the worst case scenario (i.e. you miss the 1:15PM flight) you just pay to rebook to the next TG flight or buy a new ticket with a different carrier to CNX. Domestic fares are cheap in Thailand (even on short notice), so not the end of the world. If it was me I would definitely book the 1:15PM departure. Buying a ticket for the 5:10PM flight would be crazy - way too much time to spend at BKK before you will be able to continue to CNX.
Old May 24, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

OK, thanks, that's good to know.

How are the other airlines which serve this route, Thai Viet Jet, Bangkok Airways, Thai Smile?

Also, is there any chance CX would interline to a separate TG ticket? The CX flight is an award using AA miles.
Old May 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bangkok Airways and THAI Smile are good, and both operate from BKK (vs some LCC at DMK). Never tried VietJet. Bangkok Aiirways provides a basic lounge service free to all pax, which is better than nothing

If in J on CX, you get a fast tack entry card which provides some more comfort around arrival processing time. 6 hours is unnecessarily long to hang out at the domestic section of the terminal. I might prefer the 14:30 PG flight to give a better buffer, but the 13:15 TG flight should be fine.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; May 24, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You could definitely make it to the 1:15 PM departure - even if your incoming flight is late and you have to píckup luggage for re-checkin with TG at BKK. In the worst case scenario (i.e. you miss the 1:15PM flight) you just pay to rebook to the next TG flight or buy a new ticket with a different carrier to CNX. Domestic fares are cheap in Thailand (even on short notice), so not the end of the world. If it was me I would definitely book the 1:15PM departure. Buying a ticket for the 5:10PM flight would be crazy - way too much time to spend at BKK before you will be able to continue to CNX.

Any chance I could pick up a prepaid SIM from dtac or True Move between my CX flight and a TG flight within these 2 hours?
Old May 29, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by wco81
Any chance I could pick up a prepaid SIM from dtac or True Move between my CX flight and a TG flight within these 2 hours?
Should be ok, since you don't have a single ticket all the way through CNX, then you anyway need to go land side to retrieve your luggage, and go air side again in the domestic area (next to A/B check-in rows on 4F). You can pick up a SIM card on the way in the arrival floor. Not impossible but you shouldn't be slacking around either
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:48 pm
O62

Planning on arriving on TG657 at 1410 with a separate ticket onward to USM. The last PG flight to USM is at 1700 - is this generally enough time to make it?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by O62
Planning on arriving on TG657 at 1410 with a separate ticket onward to USM. The last PG flight to USM is at 1700 - is this generally enough time to make it?
In pre-covid times most likely. These days, who really knows - unless someone has done just this recently.

As always, you take additional risk with separate tickets in such situations. Good kuck.

Old Sep 2, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by O62
Depending on when you are planning to travel, and in addition to Thai-Kiwi's comments, I believe separate ticket journeys are currently not allowed for travel to Samui+ sandbox
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:22 am
O62

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In pre-covid times most likely. These days, who really knows - unless someone has done just this recently.

As always, you take additional risk with separate tickets in such situations. Good kuck.

Thanks, trip isn't until April '22, so lots of time for more change. Might book a hotel night just in case. Would rather not stress about it in the air.

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Depending on when you are planning to travel, and in addition to Thai-Kiwi's comments, I believe separate ticket journeys are currently not allowed for travel to Samui+ sandbox
I might have missed a comment scrolling above, not allowed for covid regulations or due to interline issues?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by O62
Thanks, trip isn't until April '22, so lots of time for more change. Might book a hotel night just in case. Would rather not stress about it in the air.

I might have missed a comment scrolling above, not allowed for covid regulations or due to interline issues?
Purely for covid regulations. But as you say, if the trip is not until April next year, lots can (and will!) change before then. Personally, I would not book this far in advance, but that is just me.

Do note that if the current quarantine measures are still in place by then (God forbid!), a hotel in BKK on the way is not an option either. You might want to check the Phuket Sandbox and the Samui Plus threads in the Destinations --> Thailand forum to get a view of the current state (beware of the level of misinformation and nation bashing on there though!)

As for your original question, in normal times, three hours transit as you suggest would be more than enough though.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:39 pm
O62

Thank you for the insight, very helpful. It's award travel, so booking early comes with the territory. Still, it's all refundable so no big deal. Here's hoping to easier travel in 2022.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by O62
Thank you for the insight, very helpful. It's award travel, so booking early comes with the territory. Still, it's all refundable so no big deal. Here's hoping to easier travel in 2022.
You are very welcome I hope your trip works out smoothly, and as you say, that travel will be easier soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.