Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai & Volcanic Ash Situation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by BKKROP
THAI and other Asian carriers are waiting on European hubs to allow full instrument landings and importantly gates for arriving aircraft. It is a fair assumption that the hubs will clear their own airports regional and domestic backlog first, then open them up for the Asian international arrivals. The time frame 22nd/23rd are the dates that most of the "biggies" in this area are planning towards.
That is of course reliant on the volcano from spewing more dust etc. into the atmosphere over the next 24-48 hours! Just stop, already...!

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:13 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
BA leaving Sydney tonight bound for LHR, nobody else putting their hands up yet, could be they are letting BA clear a way through ...
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Gold
Angry

Hi,

I was booked on TG954 BKK-OSL Apr 21.
Called Thai today and was informed that the flight was cancelled.
I'm currently waitlisted on the flights on 24,26,28 and 30. April...

It's really provoking that Thai doesn't even try to fly to Europe. Both LH and SK have been able to operate routes to Frankfurt and Oslo from Bangkok today.
Even worse is the total lack of information from Thai airways. Website is updated once (!) a day, and I have received no warning that my flight was cancelled.

I guess I will stick to SAS in the future, at least they try to get their customers to their destination.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have adresseed my share of criticism to TG in the past. But the evolution of this unique crisis is indeed hard to predict by anyone, including airlines. National airlines are in a better position to flight-test their own skies and decide whether/how to operate. They are also more desperate.

Unfortunately for TG, this is an occasion where an antique website does not help.

Anyway, AF has just resumed semi normal operations exCDG. They first throw in the air all their longhaul flights and will resume European/domestic flights in the next days. First longhaul flights will start arriving at CDG today and tomorrow. Hopefully TG will be able to operate its BKK-CDG tomorrow night. Germany is also opening up.
But that is assuming that there is no deterioration of the cloud situation and that no incident happens to flying aircrafts.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 5:32 am
spk

Programs: TG*G
It is announced that TG will operate TG970 BKK-ZRH starting tonight. I expect the European flight operations to resume to normal soon.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by spk
It is announced that TG will operate TG970 BKK-ZRH starting tonight. I expect the European flight operations to resume to normal soon.
For anyone interested, here is the link to that announcement http://www.prthaiairways.com/thaiair...?lg=en&dng=902
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Cancellation charges ??

Does anyone have information on whether or not Thai are allowing full refunds either (i) before your flight is cancelled or (ii) when your flight is cancelled.

I would expect it to be the case in point (ii) but surprisingly have not been able to find anything which says it definitely is the case
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:12 pm

UK airports to re-open from 2200hrs

Now being reported on the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8633597.stm

The thread on volcano disruption on the BA board is on fire !!! Loads of people posting !!!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by erlendag

It's really provoking that Thai doesn't even try to fly to Europe. Both LH and SK have been able to operate routes to Frankfurt and Oslo from Bangkok today.
Even worse is the total lack of information from Thai airways. Website is updated once (!) a day, and I have received no warning that my flight was cancelled.

Hi erlendag, you are kidding, I am sure, or otherwise it is you, being provoking, the whole world knew about airline cancellations.

You have to understand that Asian airlines entering European airspace are at the end of a 12/14 hour flight, with no engineering ground support down below, so our airlines have to be sure before they leave. THAI have increased flights to Madrid, and Rome, and have recommenced flights to Zurich.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
Hi erlendag, you are kidding, I am sure, or otherwise it is you, being provoking, the whole world knew about airline cancellations.

You have to understand that Asian airlines entering European airspace are at the end of a 12/14 hour flight, with no engineering ground support down below, so our airlines have to be sure before they leave. THAI have increased flights to Madrid, and Rome, and have recommenced flights to Zurich.
BKKROP -- what do you think the likelihood will be that TG re-start LHR services ?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:27 pm

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
resuming European operations

[QUOTE=pdsuk;13811038]BKKROP -- what do you think the likelihood will be that TG re-start LHR services ?[/QUOTE

As long as LHR will be officially closed->no chance! TG sticks to a policy "not to operate under special permits granted for visual flights only".. therefore flights to Northern and Central Europe may not be resumed as soon as European airlines do.But they are preparing for bigger aircraft (B744 iso A340) to ZRH and MXP. They are also working on diversion of Paris flights down to Toulouse.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:40 pm

Hi pdsuk, spk will advise you with greater certainty, I am not familar with the TG crew positioning, or if their gates in LHR are available for them to use. I do know that SQ will reopen CDG and AMS but both SQ and QF are reluctant to commit to LHR prior to 22nd/23rd. THAI and SQ have kept their flights open to Europe, all through this chaos, albeit to the southern hubs. To answer your question regarding refunds, you will need to contact your TG office as there are a mix of tickets in the marketplace. The very cheap, non refundables, are sold with the commonsense understanding that the buyer is protected by their own insurance cover, this is the understanding in the industry. If a flight is cancelled, the airline involved will contact the passenger. Why would you pay full fare, passengers often ask, it takes situations like these, to answer the question.

My best take on a TG London departure is Friday
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:43 pm

Programs: Thai ROP Gold, BMI DC (RIP), Avios
Can anyone comment if they believe THAI will clear backlog before honouring existing bookings ?

I'm in Thailand at present, but still 'confirmed' (according to CMT) on return flight to LHR Friday 23rd ?

Really don't fancy a bus-trip around europe, and my wife would need additional Visa(s).

Will try and contact them for clarification today, but from what others are saying on the board, my chances of getting through are slim.

Regards, Graham
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by gwhiteuk
Can anyone comment if they believe THAI will clear backlog before honouring existing bookings ?

I'm in Thailand at present, but still 'confirmed' (according to CMT) on return flight to LHR Friday 23rd ?

Really don't fancy a bus-trip around europe, and my wife would need additional Visa(s).

Will try and contact them for clarification today, but from what others are saying on the board, my chances of getting through are slim.

Regards, Graham
I question the same as I am due to travel to London on Saturday night (TG910 25APR). I called TG yesterday and have been told that my seat is still confirmed and that I should call them back again tomorrow.

I am in no rush to return to the UK and can postpone my travel until the middle of next week. I would rather let a stranded pax take my seat so that I will avoid all the chaos in the plane and at LHR during the first few days of reopening. However, I am booked on a mileage redemption ticket. Will TG charge me to change flight and what sort of priority do they have in dealing with the backlog passengers.

I wonder if TG will take Air New Zealand's approach on clearing the backlog passengers:

Priority for booking passengers on available seats is being undertaken in the order of those who were stranded in Hong Kong and Los Angeles enroute to London on Thursday night, followed by customers with existing bookings on scheduled services and then passengers in a chronological order from their original point of delay.
Source: http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/uk-fl...uptions-update
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by gwhiteuk
Hi TGflyer and gwhiteuk, THAI will fill their planes by reservation/ticket sequence, clearing the backlog first, then honouring existing bookings. Some are saying this may take till 5th May, it is going to be a difficult call for both of you, should I get back to Zurich or Madrid and catch Ryanair home, or wait my turn, which could be at any time. QF have just advised that slots have come available in LHR and will commence tonight, but IIRC TG doesn't have a plane/crew in LHR, so they will have to ferry a full relief over. Best of luck, please keep us advised of what you hear/do, if you are TG Gold, I believe it is worth a visit to their office, regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.