FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus-503/)
-   -   Impact of current political unrest in Thailand on BKK airport operations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1072872-impact-current-political-unrest-thailand-bkk-airport-operations.html)

Airgroovin Apr 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Impact of current political unrest in Thailand on BKK airport operations

Hi TG Forum,

I have a flight on TG SYD-BKK-BOM in late April and have yet again woken to the tragic news of death on the streets in BKK. All very sad indeed...

What is the general feeling in the forum that this unrest will again affect the airport and TG flights? I am seriously considering perhaps flying with SQ...

Let's hope it all comes to a quick ending and things return to normal in Thailand.

I look foward to your thoughts...?

Cheers,

AG. :-:

yycworldtraveler Apr 10, 2010 5:31 pm

My guess is that the airport will function as normal. The Red Shirts will not be allowed to storm the airport.

Of course, if you don't need to transit BKK then SQ would be a good option to eliminate any risk at all.

I hope it calms down as well. I've got two upcoming trips booked to Thailand.

djjaguar64 Apr 10, 2010 6:07 pm

We have booked BKK-HKT with BKKAIR but we are waiting to book SIN-BKK-SYD-SIN (TG SG has given me till April 23) but I am going to wait to see what hapens and then make changes as deemed necessary. This is sad what is happening in Thailand.

bkkman Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

A very sad day for Thailand.

Things are not good and following some very one sided comments from red shirt leaders I cannot see this ending very quickly.

The damage has already been done and although Thailand does get over events quickly, this time feel it will not.

Strange thing is that other parts of BKK are almost normal, Mcdonalds and pizza hut delivery motorbikes.

The big difference this time is that it has happened in Tourist areas such as Chidlom, Ploenchit, Siam and Kao San road.

Sad that many of these people cannot see past the ends of their noses and their noses are extremely short, compounding the issue.

I live here and have family here and hope can keep my business here but maybe it is time to move.

As far as travelling here, yes it will improve slightly, maybe even in a few weeks but it will be cosmetic and the problems of fighting over the spoils will continue and the bad people ruling by violence.

brunos Apr 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by bkkman (Post 13748027)
A very sad day for Thailand.

Sad that many of these people cannot see past the ends of their noses and their noses are extremely short, compounding the issue.

Your nose reference might be a bit cynical. Nothing is ever black & white, especially in politics worldwide and in Thailand. But the big picture is that people are fighting for democracy that has been taken away by military then judicial coups. Yes, it does create problems for profitability of Thai business and tourism, but..

aurigakb Apr 10, 2010 11:15 pm

It's a rather sad situation. Don't know how they are going to resolve it though.

Airgroovin Apr 10, 2010 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by aurigakb (Post 13748222)
It's a rather sad situation. Don't know how they are going to resolve it though.

Yes, it is rather complex indeed... Let's just all hope it clears quickly... Let's also hope there is never another repeat of BKK airport being held hostage - it is crippling for all involved!

I too have also held seats on SQ (of course at a much higher price), just in case things get too hot...

Cheers,

bkkman Apr 10, 2010 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 13748107)
Your nose reference might be a bit cynical. Nothing is ever black & white, especially in politics worldwide and in Thailand. But the big picture is that people are fighting for democracy that has been taken away by military then judicial coups. Yes, it does create problems for profitability of Thai business and tourism, but..

In this sad time I have no wish to be cynical just to try and describe some of the issues I have witnessed over the past 12 yeras of being here.

My thoughts are with all sides who have suffered loss of life from this suicidal path for Thailand.

Please note what I am saying is there are two sides to everything but when one side only sees there side and will not reason. Then what hope is there for reason and a balanced debate.

Both sides must accept blame or there is no hope, BOTH SIDES, without exception.

Airgroovin Apr 11, 2010 2:46 am

Originally Posted by bkkman (Post 13748271)
In this sad time I have no wish to be cynical just to try and describe some of the issues I have witnessed over the past 12 yeras of being here.

My thoughts are with all sides who have suffered loss of life from this suicidal path for Thailand.

Please note what I am saying is there are two sides to everything but when one side only sees there side and will not reason. Then what hope is there for reason and a balanced debate.

Both sides must accept blame or there is no hope, BOTH SIDES, without exception.

+1 ^

Cheers,

Gustaf Apr 11, 2010 7:42 am

I have a stay planned at the Conrad next week, is that area reachable and "safe"?

makin'miles Apr 11, 2010 8:12 am

I'm currently at the W Hong Kong, but have an overnight at Le Meridien Bangkok tomorrow... the concierge here kindly called LMBKK just now, and they confirmed there should be no problems reaching the hotel. I believe that this is fairly near to the Conrad, but am not positive.

Gustaf Apr 11, 2010 8:47 am

Originally Posted by makin'miles (Post 13749287)
I'm currently at the W Hong Kong, but have an overnight at Le Meridien Bangkok tomorrow... the concierge here kindly called LMBKK just now, and they confirmed there should be no problems reaching the hotel. I believe that this is fairly near to the Conrad, but am not positive.

The Plaza Athenee (Royal Meridien) is really close to the Conrad. I believe the Le Meridien is located in the Silom area, which seems to be a safer area right now. Please keep us updated.

UncleDude Apr 11, 2010 8:53 am

I stayed at Le Meridien Surawong..Thursday No problems,Disputes then were around Hyatt Erawan, Intercon.

However things are changing daily.

PS : the Stay at Le Meridien made me appreciate why I am a SPG Platinum^

MAN Flyer Apr 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 13748107)

While I would agree with this, I hope we don't go start a big thread discussing it on here, as there is already a thread on the Thailand board doing just that.

Originally Posted by Gustaf (Post 13749186)
I have a stay planned at the Conrad next week, is that area reachable and "safe"?

As of this moment everything is calm as the army have retreated so everywhere is somewhat 'safe'. However, the Conrad is quite close to the embassies and there was pitched battles outside the British Embassy at the weekend.

Originally Posted by makin'miles (Post 13749287)
I believe that this is fairly near to the Conrad, but am not positive.

As Gustaf says, LM is not near the Conrad, the RMPA is.

Airgroovin Apr 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer (Post 13750797)
While I would agree with this, I hope we don't go start a big thread discussing it on here, as there is already a thread on the Thailand board doing just that.

I totally agree MAN Flyer - my intention was to begin a discussion purely about the airport and the possible implications for pax and TG if things escalate as they did last year... I hope we can stay on track?!

Cheers,