Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

Impact of current political unrest in Thailand on BKK airport operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of current political unrest in Thailand on BKK airport operations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Not sure how much of this is true, as I have not seen similar reports in other papers yet, but Singapore's "Pravda" the Straits Times is reporting that the Grand Hyatt and the IC in the Erawan areas have both started to accommodate guests in other hotels in Bangkok further away from the troublesome area, presumably as they expect things to heat up shortly...
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:50 am

Programs: BA silver, FB silver, LH Sen
I spent a few days in Phuket. The tension is showing. Many local organizations, cities, unions, etc.. are on different yellow/red sides. The stakes are high in terms of "takes" depending on what is happening in Bangkok. The proverbial smile is much less present. Will go to more peaceful atmospheres until the situation is resolved in Thailand.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
It is true that IC and GH were moving guests to other hotels, principally riverside area hotels such as Shangri-La, Millennium Hilton, and Royal Orchid Sheraton. We saw it and heard confirmation from hotel staff during Songkran week.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Not sure how much of this is true, as I have not seen similar reports in other papers yet, but Singapore's "Pravda" the Straits Times is reporting that the Grand Hyatt and the IC in the Erawan areas have both started to accommodate guests in other hotels in Bangkok further away from the troublesome area, presumably as they expect things to heat up shortly...
Probably for a combination of safety and cost saving reasons.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has specifically urged tourists to avoid/stay away from the general area near the Ratchaprasong Intersection, including CentralWorld, Zen, Big C Rajdamri, Gaysorn Plaza, Amarin Plaza, Siam Discovery, Siam Paragon, Siam Center as well as a few other nearby intersections in their web site. No sensible tourist or businessman/woman will book to stay near that area.

If the occupancy rate is down to 20% or less as reported in some news sources, shutting down completely is probably cheaper to save expenses.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
I have been living in this once beautiful and harmonious country for over 15 years.
Trust me when I say : The .... is just about to hit the fan big friggin time, and when it does it's gonna be messy,bloody and totally hysterical.
It's a revolution unfolding in front of our eyes.
God ( if there ever was one) only could know what can happen.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by pansted00
I have been living in this once beautiful and harmonious country for over 15 years.
Trust me when I say : The .... is just about to hit the fan big friggin time, and when it does it's gonna be messy,bloody and totally hysterical.
I think you are right. When His Majesty passes on, the yellows are going to do everything in their power to preserve the status quo to ensure the HiSo way of life. If and when they overreach, it will get messy.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by pansted00
you sound hysterical yourself.

Save the political and other talk for elsewhere. This forum is for Thai Airways, ROP related matters. if something happens in bangkok that affects the airport or the airline then by all means discuss it, but I just feel there is plenty of other forums to discuss the other issues.

Last edited by Aussie_flyer; Apr 21, 2010 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dazz81
you sound hysterical yourself.

Save the political and other talk for elsewhere. This forum is for Thai Airways, ROP related matters. if something happens in bangkok that affects the airport or the airline then by all means discuss it, but I just feel there is plenty of other forums to discuss the other issues.
Sorry to disagree with you.
We have seen in the recent past how radical actions could affect TG and BKK airport. If some regular FT posters believe that real troubles are underway, it is relevant to travelers on TG. Maybe you dont like it, maybe you prefer to do the ostrich. But in a forum all posters have a right to expose opinions that they feel are relevant to future pax of TG. I am not based in Thailand and appreciate hearing from locals their opinions about the future situation.
Is a volcano eruption relevant to TG? A priori no, but when it risks to disrupt TG traffic, it becomes relevant to this forum. Is a revolution in Thailand relevant to TG? Probably yes, as it will disrupt traffic. So I feel better informed for my future travel plans when I read some of the above comments.
If you feel that the above comments are wrong and that TG will not be affected, please explain why.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by brunos
Sorry to disagree with you.
We have seen in the recent past how radical actions could affect TG and BKK airport. If some regular FT posters believe that real troubles are underway, it is relevant to travelers on TG. Maybe you dont like it, maybe you prefer to do the ostrich. But in a forum all posters have a right to expose opinions that they feel are relevant to future pax of TG. I am not based in Thailand and appreciate hearing from locals their opinions about the future situation.
Is a volcano eruption relevant to TG? A priori no, but when it risks to disrupt TG traffic, it becomes relevant to this forum. Is a revolution in Thailand relevant to TG? Probably yes, as it will disrupt traffic. So I feel better informed for my future travel plans when I read some of the above comments.
If you feel that the above comments are wrong and that TG will not be affected, please explain why.
I agree that talking about what is currently going on in Thailand that affects Thai Airways should be discussed, e.g. road cloasures to the airport, hotel closures, airport delays as a result of protest action.

But predicting a 'messy, bloody totally hysterical' outcome when nobody knows what will happen is irresponsible and irrelevant to this. Leave the discussion of the king, politics etc elsewhere. There is loads of places you can go if you want to discuss those things. The last couple of posts were starting to drift off course IMO.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:13 am

Advice Needed: OK so I wasn't really worried about my upcoming trip until I read this thread. Currently have plans to be in BKK 4/29-5/2 and then again 5/5. First and last night near the airport. 4/30-5/2 at SilQ www.silqbkk.com which does seem to be near the protest areas.

What would you suggest I do? Cancel the trip entirely? Cancel the hotel booking and book somewhere else? Go with the flow and see what happens once we get there? I'm fairly easygoing and wasn't going to get myself all worked up...but these dooms-day posts are now making me nervous.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by chrislacey
Advice Needed: OK so I wasn't really worried about my upcoming trip until I read this thread. Currently have plans to be in BKK 4/29-5/2 and then again 5/5. First and last night near the airport. 4/30-5/2 at SilQ www.silqbkk.com which does seem to be near the protest areas.

What would you suggest I do? Cancel the trip entirely? Cancel the hotel booking and book somewhere else? Go with the flow and see what happens once we get there? I'm fairly easygoing and wasn't going to get myself all worked up...but these dooms-day posts are now making me nervous.

The latest official travel advisories (as of April 21, 2010) to Thailand by UK and Australian governments are somewhat worrisome. I have cut and pasted parts of the reports below.

UK FCO:

“………The political situation in Thailand is volatile and tense. There is a risk that violence could break out without warning.

British Nationals should exercise extreme caution throughout the country, and avoid demonstrations and large gatherings, some of which have recently turned violent. …….”

Read full report at:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...92D089.tomcat2

Australia:

• “………..Demonstrations can develop quickly and turn violent with little warning. In the event of protest action, disruptions could occur in Bangkok and other parts of Thailand, including to transport and other infrastructure. You should avoid demonstration sites, political rallies, military deployments and concentrations of security personnel. You should also closely monitor developments and follow any instructions issued by local authorities. If you are in an area where demonstrators are gathering, you should leave the area immediately.
• Demonstrators are currently concentrated in the Bangkok city centre around the Erawan shrine, on the corner of the Rama I/Ploenchit and Ratchadamri roads, in the area known as “Rajprasong”. As noted by the Thai Government, there is a strong possibility of violent clashes in this area and Australians are urged to avoid it and be particularly vigilant in nearby areas. If demonstrators are dispersed by authorities, a similar concentration of demonstrators may occur elsewhere.
• We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution because of the high threat of terrorist attack and because of political instability in Thailand.
• Pay close attention to your personal security at all times and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks.
• We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including tourist areas and other places frequented by foreigners. ……..”

Read full report at:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/Thailand

I am in the same boat as you. I have booked a trip for May and I am watching the situation closely. If it is not resolved by early next week, I am cancelling my trip.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:52 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by chrislacey

Silq is not near the protests. I will be staying at the Westin which is also on the same street. I was there last weekend and will be there the next 4 weekends. Drop me a PM and lets grab a drink/bite. There will be others around as well.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
I have been a regular visitor to Thailand for about 15 years and I am not easily frightened by political protests. I am also currenty in Bangkok, in a hotel close to the river (Saphan Taksin pier).

Last nite (Apr. 21) I passed the Silom/Rama IV intersection to take the skytrain back to my hotel. I was shocked by what I saw. The barricades errected by the reds look like a mediavel fortress, manned by masked men. At the other side where protesters waving Thai and yellow flags cheered on by bystanders.

The atmosphere was very tense. When I entered the Saladaeng skytrain station I had to pass armed soldiers. They looked concerned. The metal gate was down but I was allowed to enter the station.

There were few foreigners around, and the ones I saw on the skytrain looked very frightened and confused.

Frankly said, I am both scared and irritated. Scared about what could easily happen and irritated about the continuous disruptions of my daily life. Lumphini Park is off limits, I am not sure how many shops on Silom (where I usually shop) will be open today, major department stores in the Siam area are closed, and so on.

I am running out of things to do besides sitting in my hotel and drining beer and smoking cigars. And I usually get the latter from the cigar store in the besieged Dusit Thani hotel.

I tried to change my flight with CX back to the US to an earlier date but all flights seem to be booked out and I am stuck here for another 2 weeks.

So for all of those wondering if it is safe to come to Thailand now, here is my take:

Is it safe if you stay far away from Bangkok (Phuket, Chiang Mai, Krabi)?
Yes, you should be fine.

Is it safe if you stay in Bangkok away from the protest zones?
Maybe - things can change from day to day.

Is it good to be in Bangkok?
NO - major intersections and attractions are close or within the protest areas. They may be closed. Also, you will likely encounter protests if you venture outside of your hotel safe zone. Life does NOT go on as usual.

Also take into account that in the case of major violent unrest in BKK (which, I am afraid, could happen anytime) you can expect chaos at the airport which may affect your travel plans throughout Thailand.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
BKKflyforfun, if you have 2 more weeks, why not just change hotels to somewhere on Sukhumvit between Soi 2 and 30? Lots of nice places there, and you would be able to be out and about without even knowing there was anything happening.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 10:54 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by braslvr
BKKflyforfun, if you have 2 more weeks, why not just change hotels to somewhere on Sukhumvit between Soi 2 and 30? Lots of nice places there, and you would be able to be out and about without even knowing there was anything happening.
I agree with this. Plenty of shops open in Emporium and MBK. Movies to be seen in those malls and Major Sukhumvit at Ekkamai. Little Home Restaurant on Thanon Thong Lo is a lovely, bright and cheery place to enjoy a meal while reading. The specific places you go may be off-limits but there is a huge city to be explored and enjoyed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.