Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Thai Airways | Royal Orchid Plus
Reload this Page >

LHR lounges: what's allowed and why so rubbish?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches

I had my first ever TG flight recently, LHR-BKK, in F.

At check-in I was totd quite explicitly that the only lounge I was permitted to use was the SAS one. Being much more accustomed to the OW rules than the *A rules, I had expected to have access to any *A lounge at T3 so decided to give it a go at the SQ lounge where the dragon greeted me very warmly and said that of course I could use it.

So my first question was why the confusion?

And my next question is why were both lounges so bad? Is there a decent lounge of F pax at LHR? In summary
  • The SQ F lounge had acceptable wine, food, and champagne, but more what I would expect from a business class lounge (on BA, for example) than an F one. However, the lounge experience was completely ruined by the presence of a huge and loud television broadcasting a ghastly dancing competition which two pax wanted to watch from a distance of two inches and the others in the lounge clearly wished to ignore. The TV meant I couldn't possibly read and relax so I moved to the SAS lounge after I'd finished the food I ordered.
  • The SAS lounge was spacious, light and reasonably quiet, but lacked any reasonable standard of food and drink even for a business class lounge - there was no separate F section.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:56 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
You are entitled to use both of the lounges. No question. The agent was mis-informed and therefore you were too. This doesn't surprise me as the F check-in agents I have encounterd at LHR are the best part of useless. The quality of the lounges ex-LHR has been covered in many threads on here and you probably ended up getting the best of both...though did you get the buggy transfer from the SAS lounge to the gate?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
though did you get the buggy transfer from the SAS lounge to the gate?
Nope. Needless to say, the ground service in that respect at BKK (both arriving and departing) was faultless. And I did get a buggy service to immigration when arriving back at LHR although that was clearly a bit more hit-and-miss as there was one buggy and it was just a question of which of the F pax got to it quickest!

I did comment to the friendly SQ dragon that the TV made the lounge unbearable. I really can't believe that the majority of pax want it there. If they must have it then surely they should provide the sound via headphones - if run-of-the-mill gyms can manage that kind of technology, surely the SQ F lounge should be up to it?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:33 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I have never received "the buggy treatment" on arrival at LHR in F As you say, hit and miss?? Agree with your comments regarding BKK ground services - immaculate IME and makes pretty much all ground handling at LHR look like a joke, frankly
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Nope. Needless to say, the ground service in that respect at BKK (both arriving and departing) was faultless. And I did get a buggy service to immigration when arriving back at LHR although that was clearly a bit more hit-and-miss as there was one buggy and it was just a question of which of the F pax got to it quickest!
Ah - I did get the buggy from the London Lounge on the way out yesterday and I will keep an eye out when I return to LHR just in case there is one there - thanks for the tip

With regard to the SQ lounge I was a little bit disappointed with that given SQ's reputation. Thankfully there were only about 5 other people there and they were all well behaved.

I do not think much of the London Lounge either
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Ah - I did get the buggy from the London Lounge on the way out yesterday and I will keep an eye out when I return to LHR just in case there is one there - thanks for the tip
It may have been a bit of an accident. The buggy could have been called for an F passenger who needed special assistance and they just let the other F pax jump on the remaining seats. They weren't identifying us by name like at BKK, or double-checking we were from F (just that we were the first off the jetway). But they did encourage us onto it, until it was full. There was one couple in F left to walk with everyone else.

Anyway, another reason to make sure you're not too sluggish in getting off the plane.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold
I think the SAS lounge is really intended more for SAS passengers, who would be flying short haul.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by BarryJS
I think the SAS lounge is really intended more for SAS passengers, who would be flying short haul.
The London Lounge as the SAS lounge is called is a joint venture with Air Canada so not really intended for short haul. It is also widely used by non *A airlines as a contract lounge in T3. I know some people like it, I've always thought it was awful and unless I'm flying a non* carrier who uses it as the only possibility, I avoid it. Flying *A I always use SQ.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:23 pm

I didn't think the SQ lounge was that bad, although my expectations weren't high as their main lounge in SIN (before the new terminal opened I think) was surprisingly ordinary. When I was there the tv was on silent, the staff extremely warm and friendly and hardly any other people there. Thought the food options was pretty good too, considering the facility is at an outstation. Compared to the zoo that is T3 shopping centre, it was everything I needed. I agree that BKK is great for F pax. Just a pity about the most important bit, the TG in air product!

p.s. Agree about TG T3 checkin staff. When she mentioned going to the SAS lounge I said I thought i could use SQ F lounge. She looked confused, I explained the Star F policy thing and she replied "oh, well I suppose you can give it a try' Mmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.