Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-Krabi-Phuket-Chiang Mai-BKK question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
BKK-Krabi-Phuket-Chiang Mai-BKK question

Hi, I am new to Thai airways but will be flying them next Feb/March for a Thailand vacation and have a few questions:

What can I expect on domestic routes like BKK-Krabi in coach? (I am looking for service, tips, hint or any helpful comments) Are there certain planes I should try and book on and certain ones I should avoid?

Should I also consider using Bangkok Air and Air Asia or just stick with Thai Airways?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite SPG Gold
The domestic flights are pretty short, BKK-CNX is only an hour. You can't select a seat when you book, only within 24 hours of the flight. The cheapest fares don't accrue miles with all *Alliance carriers. There is no alcohol served on domestic flights and no alcohol in the domestic lounges.

Nothing special about which plane unless you really have a preference. You can see the aircraft when you book online but they sub sometimes so it is no guarantee.

You get a snack or sometimes a hot meal although not sure if they serve the hot meal in Y as well.

I use AirAsia as well as Thai they are both fine, I have never taken Bangkok Air.

If I am getting a good price I will fly AirAsia, otherwise I fly Thai.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yyzjim
The cheapest fares don't accrue miles with all *Alliance carriers.
The normally cheapest fares are V/W and they do earn miles, at least with TG and BD, both of which I've credited flights to very recently. Note this only applies to domestic V/W, not international V/W. There was some super special cheap fare earlier this year which was only valid for travel during the week and very limited availability which did not earn miles, but that fare is generally not available AFAIK.

When flying Air Asia, be careful about your connecting times. Air Asia is well known for being very late at times and you could easily miss your connecting flight. Bangkok Air is not cheap and you likely won't save any money compared to TG.

Also consider which flight is the best to fit into your schedule. Does it make sense to you to spend hours and hours waiting around for a flight just to save a bit of money or to collect a few miles? For most, the answer would be no, so choosing the best schedule or the most convenient would be the most important. TG and PG may be able to check you in all the way, along with your luggage. Air Asia definitely will not and you will have to collect your luggage and recheckin.

I personally don't care much which plane I'm on for a short domestic flight, but some do. TG I think flies B737s at times, but other times I think I've seen a larger plane flying that route. Air Asia only has small 737s and perhaps some A320s on other routes, no large planes. Likewise I believe PG only has small 737s, 717s and ATRs, but don't know which they fly on that route. TG is your only hope of getting a larger plane.

I've never seen any hot meals served on TG domestic flights in Y. It's normally just a piece of cake and orange juice, which I always pass on. So eat whatever you need to before or after your flight.

Edit: Noticed the title of this thread mentions HKT and CNX also. To those destinations TG has a wide selection of aircraft, including B777s, B747s, A330s, A300s. If you fly first to CNX, TG has a direct flight from CNX to HKT, but it's one way only, no flights HKT to CNX. So if you design your vacation plans around that you can possibly save a bit of time by taking the one direct flight rather than to BKK and then out again. From HKT you can go to KBV by boat or car/bus. The travel time is roughly 2 hours.

Last edited by A_Lee; Oct 18, 2009 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: ROP
Now, TG serves a sandwich, orange juice and jelly(TG logo) in Y and hot meal in BC.

pictures of food in Y and BC for example.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
This is great help, thanks for the info!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:43 am

TG did use to offer a domestic flightpass-priced in US$-so may work out a little cheaper. Should be booked via tr-agents.
AirAsia is a no-frills, discount carrier=you pay extra, if you want, for check-luggage, food on board etc. New planes (mostly AB320) and the former fame of air delaysia has also vanished. Can be very, very cheap if booked smartly a long time before-but expect NO service or mildness in case of changed plans, missed connections etc. NO through-check in, nor transits. Also NOKair-an ofshoot of TG-offers same-style no-frills domestic flights, uses older TG-B-737.
BKK-air also offers a domestic flightpass-and posts itself as a niche airline with ''boutique'' label-and lives up to that in 90% of times. Even Y gets lounge access in eco and mostly even a heated small meal. This comes at a pirce-its not very cheap. Small planes-and in slack low season flights are often combined.
No airline does Krabi-PHuket-thats either a boatride-for that tourist feeling, or an halfhourly local bus or a prebooked tourist minivan.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:56 pm

Programs: ua 1k, spg plt
Originally Posted by thaifly
TG did use to offer a domestic flightpass-priced in US$-so may work out a little cheaper. Should be booked via tr-agents.
I did this air pass w/TG last year. I thought this was the way to go as the fare conditions were quite flexible as they allowed for change to dates/times without any fee. I just bought it at the local TG ticket office in Bangkok. My routing was BKK-CNX-HKT-BKK. The CNX-HKT sector is really expensive so it was well worth it and a huge time saver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.