Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Closures - TG Playing Games

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Lounge Closures - TG Playing Games

For the third straight day in a row (that I'm aware of, could be longer) the left-side TG lounge on the C concourse has been closed. Today there was different staff at the right-side lounge compared to the previous two days. Previously I was told that the lounge was closed due to air conditioner repair. They would post a sign early in the morning that the lounge would reopen at 8AM, then change the time to 3PM, then 8 or 9PM. Well today I was told the reason the lounge was closed was due to a staff shortage. I mentioned to the girl that I was told otherwise on the two previous days and she shyly said she was new so didn't know the real reason. Translation, she's new and hasn't yet been told how to lie to the customers. I do believe she was very likely telling the truth and the lounge is closed due to TG laying off some staff to save money, or perhaps a large number of TG staff quit due to dissatisfaction. Whatever the case, it's obvious that TG is lying to their customers, pretending that the lounge will reopen very soon when in actuality they have no real intention of reopening the lounge at the times they specify. Their reasoning I'm guessing is that most customers won't find out they're lying because most customers visit BKK only very infrequently. Well I caught them in their little lie. I do realize that these sorts of lies are a part of Thai culture, but I'd think they'd be more careful when dealing with their foreign customers. It's also more than just a lie to me because the way they're going about it, by constantly updating the reopening time shows a real effort on their part to not just lie but to deceive.

This move is very bad for TG customers as the lounge is now overcrowded at peak times. Thai salaries are very low, and I see no reason why they have to cut back on employees that directly affect the comfort of their customers. Certainly TG has lots of employees that could be cut in certain areas, but not in cutting back on lounges. Sad times ahead for TG customers if this is the direction their company has decided to take.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
If you link this information with that of only frozen food being served in the F lounge, it looks like TG has got some serious issues with its lounge management.

Not sure what it really entails. Let's see how it develops before making a judgment.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by pansted00
If you link this information with that of only frozen food being served in the F lounge.
Do they really? Next time I fly F, I was thinking to head to the TG lounge 3 hours before flight just enjoy the F lounge and their food!! I'd be stupid waking up earlier for frozen food.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: TG Gold
The left-side TG lounge on the C concourse was open when i was there at 09.00 PM Friday 2:nd.

Sadly the SKL lounge was closed that time so couldn't get my icecream
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by A_Lee
Translation, she's new and hasn't yet been told how to lie to the customers.
LOL! Do you think that the lounge will remain permanently closed...? I always use the lounges in the C concourse, they are smaller and more intimate IMHO...

Cheers,

AG. :-:
Old Oct 4, 2009, 3:20 am

Most of the girls in TG lounge are not permanent staff. They are from an outsourcing company.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: SK EBD, TG*G
Originally Posted by Magnus

Sadly the SKL lounge was closed that time so couldn't get my icecream
Does anyone know the true opening hours of the SKL lounge at BKK? I have tried searching but not found some up to date information. I found this web page, http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...ges/skl_bk.jsp, stating that it is open from 05:15am until 11:00pm except Thursdays. However, on my earlier visits to BKK this year it did close at 10:30pm, but as Magnus said, on Friday evening (08:45pm) it was closed.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:32 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Their last flight is at 6.35, the lounge is usually closed before 11pm
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Last week when I was in the SKL I specifically asked about the opening hours and was told it was 0600 to 1830. I can confirm the 0600 is correct as I saw the staff arriving at about 0545 and it wasn't open yet. Not sure how hard and fast the 1830 time is, it probably depends on if the last flight is delayed or not, and if the last flight were cancelled I imagine they'd close earlier.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Magnus
The left-side TG lounge on the C concourse was open when i was there at 09.00 PM Friday 2:nd.
I was there last night at about 22:00 and it was open. I got what I believe is the real scoop. As of Oct. 1, the left-side lounge is only open from 21:00 onwards. It is not open in the morning, afternoon, or early evening and evidently no plans for it to be in the future. They only open it at night due to the very large number of passengers for the just before/after midnight flights.

This was definitely not though what I was told initially, and definitely was not what the signs on the door were indicating. They were playing games with the reasons for the closure, trying to pretend it was temporary rather than a permanent cutback in operating hours.

I haven't visited the E concourse lounges recently, so don't know if one of them is also operating on a limited schedule or not.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by A_Lee
Last week when I was in the SKL I specifically asked about the opening hours and was told it was 0600 to 1830. I can confirm the 0600 is correct as I saw the staff arriving at about 0545 and it wasn't open yet. Not sure how hard and fast the 1830 time is, it probably depends on if the last flight is delayed or not, and if the last flight were cancelled I imagine they'd close earlier.
I hope this does not make having a shower a long wait?! I have never had to wait in the past, but perhaps with the closure it will delay a shower suite becoming available...?

Are there showers in the SKL @ BKK?

Cheers,

Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
Are there showers in the SKL @ BKK?
No, they do not even have restrooms in the lounge.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by kats
No, they do not even have restrooms in the lounge.
So, it's more like eat and run...?

Cheers,

Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airgroovin'
So, it's more like eat and run...?

Cheers,

No, that's the way it used to be, at least for me. First stop SKL for a good feed, then over to the TG lounge for a shower and relax. Now it's the opposite order for me. First to the TG lounge for a shower, then to the SKL for food and relax till my flight. The TG lounge isn't comfortable for me anymore, at least not in the morning. Simply too many people there. The SKL is a very peaceful lounge for me to relax in, even if I do need to leave to use the toilet. Though I try to use the toilet first if I think I'm going to be in there for a long time, so I don't have to leave. Though even if I did need to use the toilet during my stay it's not actually all that far away, it just breaks the mood of the lounge having to leave and come back. When the SKL first opened, the toilet was in the back and a bit of a strange routing to get to. It's now in the front and easily accessible.

I didn't have any issue with waiting for a shower in the TG lounge, but sure the times when you need to wait will be increased now with the cutback in lounges.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Update:

Yesterday I was doing an international-to-international transit, arrived about 1300 and went straight for the SKL. When heading to my flight on the C concourse, I noticed that both lounges were again open on the right and left. This was mid-afternoon. I didn't bother to ask if this change was permanent and/or if the left-side lounge is open the same hours as the right-side lounge or not. My guess is that many people complained about the overcrowding in the one open lounge and they were forced to revert back to the old operating hours. I'll try to ask about that tomorrow when I'm there again, though I'm on a tight connection and may not get the chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.