Search

DFW rental cars & the airport toll road

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The alternative is to pay for tolls individually plus a $6 service fee, so I would break even after three tolls at the minimum. If you really think I can get away without it, I'll deselect it, but I want to make the most of my 10 hours on the ground (more like 8 hours actually with the car).

-J.
If you're a Google Maps user, set the setting for no tolls and you'll be fine. Rented twice out of DFW and didn't need the transponder.

David
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
At peak use times the tolls can get extremely high. While there are only a few roads near the airport that don't have a free option (President George Bush Turnpike, Sam Rayburn Tollway and Dallas North Tollway) the express lanes on 183/114/I-35/I-635 can be lifesavers.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Hello all, I am after a little bit of help. I am flying into DFW next month (from the UK) and renting a car from Budget. Then I am driving up the I-35 to see a friend not far north of Dallas
I think, from reading this thread that I will not (being in a rental) have to pay any tolls to go through the airport to the North.
My question is whether the toll road is only through the airport or does it go further North?
And do the rental companies insist you ‘buy’ an (expensive) toll tag off them? Having being stung in the past with paying a US rental company for a toll device I did not need, I want to avoid that happening again.
As always, many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:20 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
The rental facility is southeast of the airport proper

I cannot comment on driving through the airport, as I've never tried that. But there are plenty of side roads that I've taken to get to the freeway north of the airport, which don't have a whole lot of traffic and are easy to navigate. As far as the rental car companies insisting on purchasing toll tags, I have never been pressured to do that.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I cannot comment on driving through the airport, as I've never tried that. But there are plenty of side roads that I've taken to get to the freeway north of the airport, which don't have a whole lot of traffic and are easy to navigate. As far as the rental car companies insisting on purchasing toll tags, I have never been pressured to do that.
OK, great thank you EmailKid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.