Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:20 am

Programs: QF WP, Hyatt GP Diamond
Layover in DFW

Guys,

Due to a change of plans, I have a ~6 hour layover in DFW.

I will be arriving on AA from BGI at 1530 and departing on QF at 2155.

Any thoughts on whether it is worth leaving the terminal or should I just plan on spending the time in the lounge?

Thanks

GB
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:46 am

Programs: Credit Cards
I had some enjoyable tex mex at Papasitto's in DFW

after many months of fake Mexican food in Asia, this was finger lickin' good experience.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
There is a lot of construction in areas surrounding the airport currently. Also during the time you have your layover is a high traffic time, even without the Christmas shoppers out and about right now.

Pappasito's is a good recommendation. Also a few decent restaurants in D terminal as well.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:31 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Since this query is specific to a particular region, we'll shift this over to the "South" forum for further discussion.

I'd also suggest searching that forum for the term "DFW" in the title, as I believe I've seen some similar questions in the past. Good luck! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:37 am

Pappasito's + 3

I'm from Houston but have been living in Little Rock for the past year (aka - apparently too far north for good mexican food) and ate at the DFW Pappsito's last time I went through there, I was so surprised at how good the food was there, pretty much restaurant quality.

Gate guru app will show you every restaurant by terminal in a given airport, handy for finding something to eat wherever you're flying through
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
6 hours at that time of day/evening at DFW is not really adequate for anything other than a "token" jaunt off the airport, no more than the AA museum or an expensive taxi "windshield" inspection of a handful of local sights. I would relax in the lounge, breaking your staying with a meal in one of Terminal D's restaurants.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AAPlatinum, UA
Go to terminal A and go to either Pappasitos or Pappadeux, excellent food and service...2 hours go fast in there....and then you can go to the Lounge!^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
I pretty much agree with the above, but if you really do want to get off the airport property, downtown Grapevine is a nice area to pass a couple of hours. It's a historic area with lots of 100+ year old buildings and local retail/restaurants. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from DFW.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA PLATINUM
DFW 7 hours what to do?

I will be arriving in DFW 6:20 AM and departure is 3:20PM. Should i leave the airport and go somewhere, is anything there? 7 or 8 hours in AC then 11hours flight will be very bad for my health, any ideas?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:55 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rookiecz
any ideas?
Yup, post in the Dallas Area forum.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
The FlyerTalk elected talkboard created a brand new forum this month.

TEXAS

As this is more about Texas than AA we will forward to the new forum,

thanks for your contributions

Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat with Ambassador, AA EXP, AA 1MM, National Executive Elite
Time to kill at DFW

Easy question-get a car and drive to Fort Worth.

Take in a museum or two or drive through the Fort Worth Stockyards and Sundance Square and then have an early lunch. Get back to DFW in plenty of time.

Lunch suggestions:

Mexican--Joe T Garcias on the north side or The Original on the west side.

BBQ--Angelo's or Railhead

Hamburger--Kincaid's on Camp Bowie

Shoot me a PM with any questions.

Dang-I am getting hungry.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Nikon Shooter
Easy question-get a car and drive to Fort Worth.

Take in a museum or two or drive through the Fort Worth Stockyards and Sundance Square and then have an early lunch. Get back to DFW in plenty of time.
Yup, best part of Dallas is Fort Worth

If you have time and are willing to rent a car, that would be the thing to do. Nice laid back city with history and good museums.

EmailKid
Old Dec 28, 2011, 8:24 pm

If you leave the airport in a rental car you need to be aware that we are in road hell construction in and around the airport. Updates can be found on this website http://www.dfwconnector.com/index_flash.php. If you are going to go anywhere west of the airport like Grapevine, Southlake, Fort Worth I highly recommend you allow extra time and check out the traffic updates. If you head east to Dallas proper or northeast to Addison or Plano it won't be much of an issue once you clear the airport.

There are a lot of restaurants and shopping in Southlake Town Square, twenty minutes from the airport, forty five minutes in rush hour or when a lot of lanes are closed.
http://www.southlaketownsquare.com
Grapevine has a nice downtown, restaurants and clubs, 15 minutes from the airport, again 45 minutes if it is rush hour and the lanes are jacked up. There is a huge Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine that has a brewery and steakhouse called Uncle Buck's.
http://www.downtowngrapevinetexas.com/
http://restaurants.basspro.com/UncleBucksSteakhouse/
If you want to venture further west to Sundance Square you can burn an entire afternoon and evening in the area. Shops, bookstores, movie theater, coffee shops, restaurants and night clubs for later.
http://www.sundancesquare.com/

There are a couple of other FT threads that have a lot of information in them.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...s-what-do.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...do-dallas.html
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
BBQ while on a layover at DFW?

Hey yall! I'm doing a quick mileage run to DFW this Saturday, and I'm hoping to get some good BBQ like I did on my road trip in 2009 (50 states, 35 days... food wasn't the purpose but we had a lot of it!). Anyway, I now face a dilemma: take a direct flight there and have 5 hours to spend in DFW, or go via MSP and only have 3.5 hours in DFW. Is the latter enough time to get a decent meal? I want to be able to enjoy it We went to a Dickey's the last time I was in Dallas.

And don't call me crazy -- originally I was going to spend 2.5 hours in Wichita to get a burger!

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Aug 27, 2012 at 1:16 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.