Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:45 pm

Thanks!

Thanks for the info....
I had never heard of the web site sleepinginairports.net before, it's great!

The Hyatt would be $110, and for 5 hours on my own dime I'll pass I think.
The ugly connections (I have another 6+ hours when I get to Miami, lol) are due to using AA miles for a free trip to Colombia so I can't change it....it's pure vacation travel.....
Luckily the return trip is quick and painless, and on the way there in Miami is an Admiral Lounge I can use during the day for that 6 hours.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by rob0001; Jul 15, 2011 at 5:45 am
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA
We had a similar itinerary, albeit from BGI to PHX via MIA and DFW. Same layover. We thought we could handle sitting around or napping at the airport, but I think it was the longest night of our lives!! The TVs are on full volume the entire night, it got rather cold and there was no comfortable seat to nap in. And a word of caution...those nice cots near the defibrillators? Not meant to be pulled out for a nap - they apparently have a pressure sensor that sounds an alarm if used.

If we had to do it over, we would certainly pay for a hotel, even if it's only a few hours. Good luck!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Personally.. I would do the Hilton..

or change the flight to something more manageable..
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:52 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow as the thread moves to the Travel->South forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you do stay in the terminals, consider the free Samsung lounges near gates A29, B8, B28, C8, C27, E8, E31. Out of the way, and there are some pretty cushy chairs there.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by swag
If you do stay in the terminals, consider the free Samsung lounges near gates A29, B8, B28, C8, C27, E8, E31. Out of the way, and there are some pretty cushy chairs there.
Ditto, considering the comfort level of the available seating elsewhere. be sure and buy something to snack on and water before closing time of airside vendors, and the AC will lower the temp to close to "meat hanging" levels before morning comes, readying the place for the morning blast of sunlight sending outside temps well above 100F this week (and for weeks to come), so don't wear shorts or flip-flops and you'll want a LS shirt or light jacket. Outside, it's going to stay at 95F until midnight, and likely not drop below 80F by dawn, but there's no outside anyway at DFW.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I might stay at one of the numerous DFW area hotels. I've seen some of the nearby Marriott type properties for cheap. I think even a night at somewhere cheap like a Days Inn would beat sleeping in an airport.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:37 am

I've not heard of any airline clubs open all night at any airport. Exact hours of operation should be shown on an airline's Web site. I think shuttles to off-airport hotels should still be running when you arrive, but you should check if the shuttle is still running when you need to go back. Decision would be easy for me, since if I sugested to my wife that we spend the night in an airport, she would immediatley say "no way." I guess you'll check in advance next time you schedule a trip. Live and learn.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SoCal
I've not heard of any airline clubs open all night at any airport. Exact hours of operation should be shown on an airline's Web site. I think shuttles to off-airport hotels should still be running when you arrive, but you should check if the shuttle is still running when you need to go back. Decision would be easy for me, since if I sugested to my wife that we spend the night in an airport, she would immediatley say "no way." I guess you'll check in advance next time you schedule a trip. Live and learn.
This would be my first choice if I had lounge access..

6 hours at night.. that's pretty tough.. almost too short to leave to the airport to get some shut eye..
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:10 pm

The other option is shift your schedule and stay up the 6 hours. Sleep in advance then bring a book and some movies or a TV series and watch them all!

Other than that, the Samsung lounges have cushy chairs and power.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
The other option is shift your schedule and stay up the 6 hours. Sleep in advance then bring a book and some movies or a TV series and watch them all!

What are these Samsung lounges? Are they fully operated lounges?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What are these Samsung lounges? Are they fully operated lounges?
They aren't full lounges. They're just a bunch of cushy chairs with power outlets.

Samsung mobile travel lounge - A29, B8, B28, C8, C27, E8, E31

They don't have doors and a full wall, and are un-manned, so they should never be closed, although I haven't checked to see if there was a pull-down grill. I used to hang around there before I got AC membership.

DFW services
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:17 pm
Suspended

They aren't full lounges. They're just a bunch of cushy chairs with power outlets.

Samsung mobile travel lounge - A29, B8, B28, C8, C27, E8, E31

They don't have doors and a full wall, and are un-manned, so they should never be closed, although I haven't checked to see if there was a pull-down grill. I used to hang around there before I got AC membership.

DFW services
Ok.. I think I've seen these chairs before..

What's the charge? and they have an AVOD system I imagine..
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Ok.. I think I've seen these chairs before..

What's the charge? and they have an AVOD system I imagine..
charge? you mean a fee? They're free. You just walk and sit on the chairs. I don't remember now if there was a TV.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:27 pm
Suspended

charge? you mean a fee? They're free. You just walk and sit on the chairs. I don't remember now if there was a TV.
I thought your first statement quoted was to stay up and watch the reruns on the Samsung..

Maybe the seperate paragraphs are 2 seperate ideas.. Did you mean to grab a hotel room and watch TV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.