Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Is arriving a domestic or an international flight? If Int'l, you will have to leave secure area. Last time I arrived in DFW (January pre Covid) I saw people sleeping inside terminal outside security.
It's a domestic to domestic transfer.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 11:34 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's a domestic to domestic transfer.
Then you should be able to stay airside. I mostly fly out of E term, and I'm pretty sure that shuts down with nothing open overnight, and would think even more so these days. I have not been to DFW since my arrival in January, and back then there were some free "lounges" where one could relax and probably sleep as well as a few of those "massage" chairs that looked like old style Biz seats.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
UPDATE:

I have overnighted at DFW Terminal A and would be heading to the Admirals Club when it opens in 15 minutes.
I had no issues staying overnight airside and I was not the only passenger that had an overnight connection from our flight.
Maybe I counted 10-15 other passengers at the airport that were overnighting and resting at empty gate areas.

The only thing open overnight is the 7-Eleven stores. I didn't go landside but some of the security checkpoints at the airport are 7/24 open so if you mistakenly go landside you could go back, although they are only in Terminal C and E but you could take the Skyline between terminals or walk within a reasonable time.

It was definitely not worth paying for a hotel for the full nightly rate for a half-night.
I don't have PriorityPass, but for those who have a PP membership, the Minute Suites at Terminal A were open.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 2:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Had a 2 hr connection coming up on AA starting around 11AM.

Which lounge do you recommend between Admirals Club, Centurion, The Club, and Plaza Premium?
Old Jun 20, 2021, 9:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Had a 2 hr connection coming up on AA starting around 11AM.

Which lounge do you recommend between Admirals Club, Centurion, The Club, and Plaza Premium?
The DFW CL has really good food. If it's not too much of a schlep I'd head over there for a lunch and if the lounge is crowded (which it often is) decamp to the AC closest to your gate for a quieter lounge atmosphere.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Not quite a layover but looking for advice…

Arriving into DFW at 1635 from LHR. Departing next day to OGG at lunchtime (1210) in mid February.

As we are UKers we’ll have to collect bags and clear customs on arrival and then make sure we do everything needed for the Hawaii entry the next morning. As a result, I’m not sure whether to pick

1 a hotel near the airport or
2 go downtown and try to experience something of Dallas (thinking Deep Ellum but we know we’ll be a bit tired with jet lag).

What we’re looking for is to avoid a standard hotel room and crazy city centre prices ($350 per night) at the Dallas Art Hotel. And too many taxis.

first time visit to Dallas of course - hence wanting to see a little more than a cab motel lounge combo.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel

Arriving into DFW at 1635 from LHR. Departing next day to OGG at lunchtime (1210) in mid February.

As we are UKers we’ll have to collect bags and clear customs on arrival and then make sure we do everything needed for the Hawaii entry the next morning. As a result, I’m not sure whether to pick

2 go downtown and try to experience something of Dallas (thinking Deep Ellum but we know we’ll be a bit tired with jet lag).

What we’re looking for is to avoid a standard hotel room and crazy city centre prices ($350 per night) at the Dallas Art Hotel. And too many taxis.

first time visit to Dallas of course - hence wanting to see a little more than a cab motel lounge combo.
We stayed at the airport's Sheraton for a day rate. Not bad.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
We stayed at the airport's Sheraton for a day rate. Not bad.
We’re overnighting so could stay at the airport but the adventurer in me feels it’s a bit of a waste 😄
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We’re overnighting so could stay at the airport but the adventurer in me feels it’s a bit of a waste 😄
IIRC, there is a nice train into the city. Might meet your adventurer needs, at far less expense.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:04 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

Originally Posted by 747FC
IIRC, there is a nice train into the city. Might meet your adventurer needs, at far less expense.
Lots of homeless on that train in early morning and late at night, but not too bad in the middle of the day IME. My normal way to the airport during while in Dallas 2009-2020 (and a couple of months in 2021).

There is also Light Rail (ya, train to city is not really proper use IMHO) to Fort Worth. Best part of the Metroplex (as greater Dallas / Fort Worth is known locally, much like Chicagoland in greater Chicago area) is Fort Worth, and of the twenty year or so (on and off) that I spent in Metroplex, Fort Worth was the best.

Deep Ellum ..... ya, it eclectic, but in many ways, there's no there there unless you are into the clubs that are there. Downtown Fort Worth, OTOH, is walkable and kind of fun.

Oh, and the "train" to downtown Dallas takes an hour, runs every 20 minutes. Despite having an urge to try the Fort Worth light rail version, procrastination got in the way, and I never tried it, so have no firsthand exerience. Dallas light rail departs from Term A, Ft. Worth from Term B (IIRC).
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador

If you want to come into the city for a night, Ubers are fairly inexpensive or you can ride the DART rail. As for hotels, Hilton has a great Canopy property in Uptown Dallas near lots of shops and restaurants and there is a W in Victory Park right across from the American Airlines Center if you want to catch a concert/game. If I'm in town and available I'm always happy to show a fellow FT'er around.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I would take the train into downtown Dallas and stay somewhere within walking distance. What hotel status do you hold, chase, or other?

It is a bit cheesy, but you could always go up Reunion Tower for some views of the area. If you've never been to Dallas, I recommend walking around the Dealey Plaza area. All of the traffic signals and street signs have been preserved from 1963. Even if you are there after hours, it can be a sobering experience to imagine what went on. If you are there when things are open, you can do the Sixth Floor Museum.

For something different to eat, I recommend Chicken Scratch. It would be a very healthy walk from downtown, or a quick Uber.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by aztimm

For something different to eat, I recommend Chicken Scratch. It would be a very healthy walk from downtown, or a quick Uber.
I've lived here for 5 years and never even heard of this place. Gonna have to check it out.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
I've lived here for 5 years and never even heard of this place. Gonna have to check it out.
I saw it on an episode of, "The Daytripper," and thought I'd try it out. Definitely won't break the bank, and much different than normal food.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:47 pm

Hey that’s exactly why FT is such a great place. Really helpful. I’m marginally biased towards Hilton so the canopy is good and the chicken place 😍
wakesetter93 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.