Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth International Airport Layover
Where to go, what to do, how much time?

AA Forum Guide to DFW

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
can you drive? It takes about 30 minutes to pick up a rental and 20 minutes to drive downtown. I think you can make it, but I would advise driving back to the airport with about 2.5 hrs to spare at least. public transport in Dallas is not very big.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 6:00 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the regional forum devoted to Texas and its airports. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:10 pm

Are you arriving from a domestic flight or an international flight? The Sixth Floor Museum is only open until 6pm, for example.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
If by public transit, then not a whole lot of time

The train (TRE - Trinity Rail Express) runs every half hour from CenterPort (airport) station to downtown Dallas starting at 3:10 (not nearly as frequent during the day), but you have to take the shuttle bus to get there (and back).

It's a bit of a hike from TRE to the grassy knoll and museum, or you can go to West End station via Light Rail (one stop) from Victory or Union Station.

Here's TRE airport web page, and you can find train schedules on said web site. Be forewarned, TRE is NOT world's most reliable, so you will most likely be OK, but run the risk of a train being delayed due to MX or hot weather (trains go slower when temps are over 100F 38C). It's rare, but my alert goes off about once a month about a delay.

EmailKid
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by EmailKid
If by public transit, then not a whole lot of time

The train (TRE - Trinity Rail Express) runs every half hour from CenterPort (airport) station to downtown Dallas starting at 3:10 (not nearly as frequent during the day), but you have to take the shuttle bus to get there (and back).

It's a bit of a hike from TRE to the grassy knoll and museum, or you can go to West End station via Light Rail (one stop) from Victory or Union Station.

Here's TRE airport web page, and you can find train schedules on said web site. Be forewarned, TRE is NOT world's most reliable, so you will most likely be OK, but run the risk of a train being delayed due to MX or hot weather (trains go slower when temps are over 100F 38C). It's rare, but my alert goes off about once a month about a delay.

EmailKid
The new, alternate option is the Orange line light rail, reached via the DART 500 bus from Terminal A. Total travel time should be about the same (quicker if the inbound flight comes into A), but the train runs more frequently than the TRE, and it goes directly to the West End station.

Starting this December December 2014, the train will run all the way to the Terminal A, eliminating need for the bus ride.

http://www.dart.org/riding/dfwairport.asp

Last edited by swag; Aug 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by swag
The new, alternate option is the Orange line light rail, reached via the DART 500 bus from Terminal A. Total travel time should be about the same (quicker if the inbound flight comes into A), but the train runs more frequently than the TRE, and it goes directly to the West End station.

Starting this December, the train will run all the way to the Terminal A, eliminating need for the bus ride.

http://www.dart.org/riding/dfwairport.asp
Um, respectfully no and no.

I've taken the Orange line from the airport because it drops me off about 10 minute walk from my house, but it is MUCH, MUCH longer ride than the TRE

Orange line meanders and goes very, very SLOWLY, sometimes 25 miles per hour until it reaches Bachman station, so total time to downtown is about an hour v. less than half hour for TRE. And after 3:10 p.m. TRE runs every 30 minutes v. Orange Line 20.

Second no is with reference to when Orange line arrives at DFW. Per link above

Originally Posted by DART.org
The Orange Line heads to the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport in December 2014.
As someone who has watched as Green / Orange line was being built I can assure you that progress along hotels northeast of DFW as seen from 500 bus in no way makes THIS December possible.

EmailKid
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Um, respectfully no and no.

I've taken the Orange line from the airport because it drops me off about 10 minute walk from my house, but it is MUCH, MUCH longer ride than the TRE

Orange line meanders and goes very, very SLOWLY, sometimes 25 miles per hour until it reaches Bachman station, so total time to downtown is about an hour v. less than half hour for TRE. And after 3:10 p.m. TRE runs every 30 minutes v. Orange Line 20.
Posted schedules show 30 minutes TRE Centreport to Union Station, vs 42 minutes Belt Line to West End on the Orange line. But I've ridden enough mass transit to know that printed schedules may not be accurate, so I'll yield to your actual experience.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 5:46 pm

Best/worst months for connecting via DFW?

Hi all!

I remember some rather awful experiences a few years ago at DFW around June/July where afternoon storms would close the airport and leave me stranded for hours (in one case almost 24 hours) - I understand this still happens.

In this regard, during which months is DFW more likely to be affected by storm closures? Would the winter months be a safe bet (assuming it doesn't snow)?

I've got a few flights coming up (including one just before Christmas that I would prefer to play safe with!) that at appear easiest to route via DFW and I'm trying to figure out when I should avoid it.

Thanks. :-)
Old Aug 26, 2013, 6:09 pm

Well,

back when I used to connect through DFW, got stuck during a winter storm for 24 hours, so it can happen. But it does not necessarily happen every winter.

But summers and the thunderstorms with lightning can bring groundstop. IIRC this normally happens in July and August. These days I see it on the local news.

EmailKid
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Echoing EmailKid I got stuck in a horrendous winter storm at DFW in March of 2008. But other than that it never happened. Here are some pictures of it below:

Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I got stuck in a horrendous winter storm at DFW in March of 2008. But other than that it never happened.
I'm pretty sure that's the one I got stuck in.

Oh, I seem to recall that either last winter or the one before that there were cancellations due to running out of de-icing fluid. Don't fly for work anymore ( ), so only learned about that on the news.

EmailKid
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:41 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the one I got stuck in.

Oh, I seem to recall that either last winter or the one before that there were cancellations due to running out of de-icing fluid. Don't fly for work anymore ( ), so only learned about that on the news.

EmailKid
Wow, an airport the size of DFW managed to run out of de-icing fluid?! That's got to take some effort ...

So it sounds like outside of summer storms, weather interruptions at DFW are probably no worse than any other major airport in the US (LAX, IAD, JFK, ORD, DTW, etc.) ... would this be a fair assumption?
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Psinewave
So it sounds like outside of summer storms, weather interruptions at DFW are probably no worse than any other major airport in the US (LAX, IAD, JFK, ORD, DTW, etc.) ... would this be a fair assumption?
With the exception noted above I haven't had any problems in the last 4 years that I've been passing through DFW/DAL area. And that was quite a while before, but we did have 8 inches of snow (a record, so unlikely to be repeated) that shut down air traffic 3 winters ago. Certainly a lot more reliable in winter than EWR, ORD or DEN, to name a few.

EmailKid
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:02 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I have a 4hr layover in DFW this Sat. Anyplace at the airport to get some good BBQ?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aau
I have a 4hr layover in DFW this Sat. Anyplace at the airport to get some good BBQ?
Daniel Vaughan reviewed all the options a couple of years ago. (At the time, he was the top BBQ blogger in TX; now he's "BBQ Editor" at Texas Monthly magazine).

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2011/03/...rport-bbq.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.