Wiki Posts
Search

Where to meet sister at DFW on layover from AMS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2020, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Where to meet sister at DFW on layover from AMS

Hi, I am hoping a moderator will move this query to the appropriate forum, if this isn’t it. Thanks in advance.
My sister and her family are moving back to the States from The Netherlands where they have lived for the past 2 years. My mother and I live in Dallas. Sis and fam are on AA221 AMS-DFW In early Aug. Then they take an evening flight to BDL. They arranged these flights with the idea that perhaps they could see grandma for an hour between flights. Grandma is 93 years old. Her age and the Covid is a thing, but if we decided to try to go for it, where at DFW would be a good location to socially distance? Admiral’s Club doesn’t work because of us not flying and we can’t get through security without boarding passes. They can come out, but where to meet? I know Terminal D has a hotel which I have never been in and there is another hotel in the middle of DFW, also never been there. Maybe I need to do an early drive by to see if there are outside benches. But it will be an afternoon in Texas in August, so a larger space with AC is preferable. I know those areas outside international arrivals have tall ceilings, but not a lot of sitting area. We can meet them at another terminal on site. Any ideas?
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
If you're just looking for an indoor place to sit and chat, the domestic baggage claim area for Terminal D (bottom level, D29/30/31) sees very little traffic these days and has a reasonably large number of seats, including a nook away from the luggage belts.

For those flying in, to get there from international arrivals, first exit the customs/passport circus, then take a left to walk down the hallway towards (and past) the Border Patrol office.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 11:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Caclacko!

Let's move your query over to the Texas forum for the experts there to chime in. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much. What great idea. I know just where you are describing. I have past it a lot arriving domestic into Terminal D, but never really looked around. I appreciate your idea.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I would use the Grand Hyatt in Terminal D. The lobby has some comfortable seating and should be pretty deserted; the Moka bar or the Grand Met lounge would be other nice and easily accessible areas for a meet-and-greet that have the added advantage of providing an opportunity to temporarily remove the otherwise mandatory face masks if everyone feels comfortable doing so.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/te...w/dfwgh/dining
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info

I was hesitant about the hotel, but I will check it out now. Thank you very much.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Caclacko
.....They can come out, but where to meet?
They HAVE to come out after clearing Immigration / Customs

So do allow time to reclear security before the flight, though these days, not many people are flying.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Make sure they exit Customs as if DFW is their final destination. Meet them at the international arrivals and go to the hotel or wherever you'd like to catch up. If their next flight is at a different terminal offer to drive them over there when it's time to go. This way, they don't have to re-clear TSA in terminal D and ride the SkyLink around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.