Reload this Page >

Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Old Jul 8, 20, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Texas set a new record today... 10,028 new confirmed cases
I wonder when we'll start to see flattening of the curve due to mandated mask usage? 3 weeks from now?
Old Jul 8, 20, 1:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I wonder when we'll start to see flattening of the curve due to mandated mask usage? 3 weeks from now?
I'm not sure. I have a feeling that over the holiday weekend there were a bunch of private parties going on, without masks. They can mandate masks in public...

I swam in Lake Austin on Sunday morning, saw quite a few boats. Most had 4+ people in them, and I didn't see a single mask. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of them all docked together somewhere... And I think that's but one example (I'm sure the same happened at the DFW-area lakes, Houston, etc), not to mention parties at private homes, with pools, etc.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
I wonder if Abbott will reinstate the stay at home order.
Old Jul 11, 20, 12:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
I wonder if Abbott will reinstate the stay at home order.
1. Isn't it a bit late at this point?
2. Even if he does, what's the situation WRT acute care - how full are the hospitals?

David
Old Jul 11, 20, 1:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
1. Isn't it a bit late at this point?
2. Even if he does, what's the situation WRT acute care - how full are the hospitals?

David
This article helps answer those questions. He keeps threatening a lockdown, but he says that it isn't imminent.

https://www.kut.org/post/gov-abbott-...ve-be-lockdown

With Texas continuing to break records for new coronavirus deaths and hospitalizations this week, Gov. Greg Abbott reiterated Friday afternoon that things will continue to get worse. And if people keep flouting his new statewide mask mandate, he said, the next step could be another economic lockdown.

“Things will get worse, and let me explain why,” he told KLBK TV in Lubbock. “The deaths that we’re seeing announced today and yesterday — which are now over 100 — those are people who likely contracted COVID-19 in late May.

“The worst is yet to come as we work our way through that massive increase in people testing positive.”
Old Jul 11, 20, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
This article helps answer those questions. He keeps threatening a lockdown, but he says that it isn't imminent.

https://www.kut.org/post/gov-abbott-...ve-be-lockdown
If he is correct (deaths today are exposures in late May (Memorial Day-ish)), the number of TX CV-19 deaths will really jump in August (deaths then as a function of July 4th exposures).

If folks don't wear masks, then sooner we and they will know their virus resistance and mortality.

David
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
So catching up, last week our hospital was down to 40 total tests using the Abbott quick test. Our supplies didn't come in. We were using these to test emergency admissions. Haven't seen an update but that is bad, because if we can't test we have to assume every admission is positive until the long test comes back, which could take a week. We have done 2 road trips. One to Steamboat to visit friends with a stop over outside Colo. Springs. Then this past weekend to South Padre. Ate out only at outdoor venues, then either made food or ordered in. Felt pretty comfortable. And now for a light look at how health care providers in Austin have introduced the Covid Shuffle with a message.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...-ge6eSXLjG9AjA
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by boerne; Sep 15, 20 at 10:38 am Reason: Added data
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by boerne View Post
So catching up, last week our hospital was down to 40 total tests using the Abbott quick test. Our supplies didn't come in.
So what kind of tests are they using for mass testing, say at the UT game on Saturday? I saw a story how all of the students had to be negative to enter the stadium.
Old Sep 15, 20, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by boerne View Post
So catching up, last week our hospital was down to 40 total tests using the Abbott quick test. Our supplies didn't come in. We were using these to test emergency admissions. Haven't seen an update but that is bad, because if we can't test we have to assume every admission is positive until the long test comes back, which could take a week. We have done 2 road trips. One to Steamboat to visit friends with a stop over outside Colo. Springs. Then this past weekend to South Padre. Ate out only at outdoor venues, then either made food or ordered in. Felt pretty comfortable. And now for a light look at how health care providers in Austin have introduced the Covid Shuffle with a message.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...-ge6eSXLjG9AjA
We're planning to head down to South Padre for an early October vacation. If you have any recommendations of outdoor, socially-distanced places to eat, I'd love to hear them. I've lived in TX for 5 years, and this will be my first trip to SPI. PM is fine if you don't want to clog up this thread. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 20, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, LT Plt, 4mm, *A Silver, Free Agent
Originally Posted by mattp1987 View Post
We're planning to head down to South Padre for an early October vacation. If you have any recommendations of outdoor, socially-distanced places to eat, I'd love to hear them. I've lived in TX for 5 years, and this will be my first trip to SPI. PM is fine if you don't want to clog up this thread. Thanks!
My wife and I have lived in Texas all our lives and this was our first trip to SPI for both of us. These are where we ate with our kids and grandkids. we all felt as safe as could be, and we are all pretty paranoid.

first choice- we ate here 3 times because the choices were good, the outdoor venue was breezy, and the service was exceptionally good. Great sweet potato fries. Had the combo fried fish because I figure I may not survive the pandemic so might as well eat what I like. Maha tacos also good.
https://www.paintedmarlingrille.com/

second choice cafe on the beach
The Palms Resort | Cafe On The Beach

very small venue, go early. the home made chips come as a massive dish.

third choice- Gabreillas
Gabriella's Italian Grill & Pizzeria - South Padre Island, Texas

we kept the grandkids so our son and wife could have a date night. decent cheese kids pizza, we had the Soprano and had half a pizza left over. Also very good calamari. all take out, very fast prep. the 2 guys at the door were in masks and looked like mafia guys. They also have a few tables outside.
mattp1987 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:06 pm

Abbott relaxes limits for restaurants, retail, and gyms. Bars remain closed.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200917/abbott-relaxes-limits-on-restaurants-retail-and-gyms-but-keeps-bars-closed
Gov. Greg Abbott said Thursday that he would allow businesses to expand capacity in most of the state, citing a decline in coronavirus hospitalizations.

The order allows businesses operating at 50% capacity to move to 75% starting Monday. That includes restaurants, retail, office buildings, manufacturing, gyms, libraries and museums. Bars remain closed under the order, although some have been able to reopen by selling more food than alcohol.

“Without vaccines available, containing COVID is a challenge, but Texans have already shown that they are up to that challenge,” Abbott said at a Capitol news conference. “As we go about the process to continue to contain COVID, we will also continue to work to open up Texas.”

And Abbott is allowing hospitals in much of the state to resume elective surgeries, effective immediately. Nursing homes and other long-term care facilities may resume visitations next Thursday, as long as there are no outbreaks at those facilities.

Three regions are not included in the order: the Rio Grande Valley and the Laredo and Victoria areas, where Abbott said the number of Texans being treated in hospitals remains too high.
I'm rather surprised. I was expecting bars to re-open.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: