Reload this Page >

Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Texas COVID-19 / Coronavirus Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 1:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dorisrpas
I find myself probably having to be in a little town outside Houston by Saturday. The DSM-IAH flight is currently not available. I have options via ORD (better) and DEN (less better). I would be in Friday, work Saturday, home Sunday. What is the latest status regarding quarantine about arrivals from ORD? Thanks
I was just about to post this. The governor just today signed an order eliminating all travel restrictions. So you can fly ORD to IAH without any problems.
Old May 21, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Yay! Thanks for the update!
Doris
Old May 23, 2020, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Starting yesterday restaurants with bar tops must close their bar tops due to Abbott feeling restaurant staff will be too close to their patrons. Of course the bar tops were open up until yesterday when 25% capacity cap and yesterday we moved to a 50% capacity cap. This makes absolutely no sense considering yesterday also marked the re-opening of BARS.....
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Disease spike in central Texas after reopening. Timing is right. We are actually wondering if we have already had our asymptomatic infection based upon the study in Annals of Internal Medicine stating 40-45% can have the virus and be asymptomatic. Time to get antibodies tested, if I can find a way to get that done.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...alizations-low
Old Jun 4, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by boerne
Disease spike in central Texas after reopening.
Doesn't sound like deaths have, though.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:56 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Doesn't sound like deaths have, though.
I'm definitely not an expert, but I wouldn't think deaths up uptick as quickly. I'd think it would take a couple of weeks for the increase in infections to possibly translate into an increase in hospitalizations and then another week or 2 for the increase in hospitalizations to possibly translate into increases in deaths.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I'm definitely not an expert, but I wouldn't think deaths up uptick as quickly. I'd think it would take a couple of weeks for the increase in infections to possibly translate into an increase in hospitalizations and then another week or 2 for the increase in hospitalizations to possibly translate into increases in deaths.
I think that sounds right. The ICU admissions will come a few days after the initial symptoms start based upon the case descriptions published so far. Also, if the people going out are the typical Austinites, they are not in as much risk as the older population. As I go around town, the older folks at the Home Depot and grocery stores all have masks on, and the younger shoppers are less likely to have them on. I do love Costco for requiring face masks. Bless them
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:27 am
Original Poster

From a hospital CEO today

We knew at the outset of the COVID-19 pandemic that flexibility and adaptability would be key in our ability to respond effectively, and as the virus waxes and wanes in our community, we are adjusting our response accordingly. We are now in the midst of a surge of cases, greater than we have previously experienced. In recent days, we have seen significant spread in our community, and hospitalizations have increased rapidly, essentially doubling over the past two weeks. On Wednesday, Austin Public Health reported 220 new cases in Travis County, the highest count of new cases yet in a single day.

As businesses, parks, churches and other venues have reopened, many people are returning to a pre-COVID-19 lifestyle—being less diligent about wearing facemasks and practicing social distancing—and as a result, we are seeing this surge of cases in our community. We have a responsibility to protect our patients and our staff. As such, we are returning to what is effectively a “no visitor” policy in all of our hospitals, and in compliance with the Mayor’s recent order mandating face coverings at places of business, we are taking measures to further enforce universal masking throughout all of our facilities.

Visitation Policy

We recognize the benefit of family support to a patient’s recovery, and we have made every effort to accommodate patient visitation during the pandemic. We recently relaxed our visitation policy based on an extensive period of flattening, but due to the current surge, we feel that it is in the best interest of our patients and staff that we return to a “no visitor” policy in all of our hospitals at this time.

Exceptions to this policy are:

· Pediatric/NICU patient – one parent/caregiver

· Laboring/Post-partum patient – one care partner

· Disabled/Impaired/Elderly patient – one family member/caregiver

· Surgery/Procedure patient – one family member/caregiver

· End-of-life patient – one family member/caregiver

Any approved visitor must be 18 years of age or older, and the approved exceptions referenced above must pass the health-screening criteria, including temperature check, upon entrance into the facility.

Just as we have done since the onset of the pandemic, we will continue to monitor the viral activity in the community and will make adjustments as the situation changes.

Universal Masking

We all know that one of the most effective ways to stop the spread of COVID-19 is to wear a mask. Earlier this week, the City of Austin issued an order mandating that businesses require all employees and visitors to wear face coverings. This is not new to us. As you all know, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, infectious disease doctors and countless medical experts, we implemented a universal masking policy back in March. That policy – which is still in effect – requires every physician, staff member, patient and visitor to wear a mask while in our hospitals. It’s fair to say – and as many of you know and have seen in our facilities – there has been a significant lack of compliance with this, but we must be diligent in our enforcement.

For your safety, and the safety of our patients, anyone who does not comply with this policy is required to leave our facility. We have a duty to protect the people in our care and everyone with whom we come into contact, and it’s going to take every one of us being committed to this and holding each other accountable to do it. When people don’t wear masks, it potentially threatens the health of others. If you see a colleague, patient or visitor not wearing a mask, you have a responsibility to say something.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
My wife texted me this morning to tell me her hospital in San Antonio just announced elective surgeries are temporarily suspended again. They had already been enforcing masks and temperature checks for everyone entering. I'm not sure about their visitor policy. I usually take her dinner on her overnight call shifts, but I haven't done that since early March.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Texas Tribune has a good summary of some key Coronavirus statistics, by county, for all of Texas:
https://apps.texastribune.org/featur...562.1592687303
Old Jun 20, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by aztimm
Texas Tribune has a good summary of some key Coronavirus statistics, by county, for all of Texas: https://apps.texastribune.org/featur...562.1592687303
That site needs a breakdown by age and sex; CA does that and while 55% of the cases are from 18-49, 78% of the deaths are 65+.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:40 am

I was hoping we could put this thread to bed, but unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...covid-19-surge

Texas Governor Hits 'Pause' On Further Reopening Amid COVID-19 Surge

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has announced the state will "pause" any further reopening of its economy for now, a day after he said that Texas is facing a "massive outbreak" of the coronavirus.
Abbott also halted elective surgeries in four of the state's largest counties. That move is aimed at expanding hospital capacity as the spike in hospitalizations threatens to overwhelm intensive care units and outstrip available ventilators.

The counties (cities) impacted for the elective surgeries are:
* Bexar (San Antonio)
* Dallas (Dallas)
* Harris (Houston)
* Travis (Austin)

It seems a bit arbitrary, but I guess it is better than nothing. I'm in the Austin area, but live in Williamson county, and think ours should be included with Travis.
Well I also think he should enact a mask ordinance, close bars, and restaurants (take-out or delivery only). Masks help, but if you are eating or drinking you can't really wear one...
Old Jun 26, 2020, 9:13 am

I predicted this yesterday, sadly
https://www.kut.org/post/abbott-clos...urge-statewide

Abbott Closes Bars, Limits Restaurant Capacity As COVID-19 Cases Surge Statewide

Gov. Greg Abbott is closing all bars in Texas at noon Friday as the state sees a surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

All businesses that receive more than 51% of their gross receipts from the sale of alcohol are required to close, but they may stay open for delivery and takeout, the governor ordered.

Restaurants, which were previously allowed to operate at 75% indoor capacity, will not be able to exceed 50%, starting Monday.

Rafting and tubing businesses must close, and outdoor gatherings of 100 people or more must be approved by local governments, with certain exceptions, Abbott said.
I hope people learn this time. Stay home. If you have to go out, wear a mask. And wash your hands.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Can any one comment on the hotel capacity or hotel experience in the greater Houston area? When I was working in Tampa, Florida in May, the hotels were completely empty and all the restaurants were closed. However, when I called a few hotels about amenities available, it seems like everything is open, even the lounges. Should I expect the hotels to be packed, especially since it's a holiday next week?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.