Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

How are Galveston/Corpus Christi Beaches?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Having been to California and Florida, wondering how good is Texas beaches compared to them? If Galveston and Corpus Christi are't the best beaches in Texas, which are? Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Originally Posted by pjacqueimo
Having been to California and Florida, wondering how good is Texas beaches compared to them? If Galveston and Corpus Christi are't the best beaches in Texas, which are? Thanks
If you are comparing to FL and CA, Galveston will majorly disappoint with grey beaches and brown water. Corpus is marginally better, but the best beaches by far in TX are found in South Padre Island.
aztimm and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SeamusSA
If you are comparing to FL and CA, Galveston will majorly disappoint with grey beaches and brown water.
+1

I honestly don't know how you can have ocean + sand and wealth (USA) and still have the kind of beach that is Galveston.
Jwm2711 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
+1

I honestly don't know how you can have ocean + sand and wealth (USA) and still have the kind of beach that is Galveston.
a. Gulf o' Mexico ain't an ocean
b. Gulf o' Mexico doesn't support huge waves pushing loads of sand around
c. Drainage of Eastern United States into the Gulf are a lot of dirt (need more mountains to erode)
c. Hurricanes hitting Galveston and other low lying regions aren't conducive to pulling in huge loads of sand (from TBD source) into an area and wait for the hurricanes to pull it out into the Gulf

David
pilsn3r and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by DELee
a. Gulf o' Mexico ain't an ocean....
David
I can't disagree with any of your points but given all that Galveston Beach does have going for it (sun, sand, tourists, money, a large body of water), it could and should be a much nicer place to visit than it is.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Galveston Beach is fine if you enjoy swimming / wading in seaweed.

I haven't been to CC in ages.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
SPI is by far the best Beach to visit. Others farther up the coast can be nice in short "windows" but it is hit or miss. All see lots of tourist/beachgoers.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While I have mostly fond memories of frequenting Galveston as a child, it has never been the kind of beach destination that would incentivize me to fly to go see it for the water. I wouldn't even want to drive to it if I could help it.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Galveston is fun during Mardi Gras...

Surfside, Matagorda, etc can be fun if you live in Houston and want to drink on the beach and feel the sea breeze...

But if you’re thinking of flying for them, I’d advise against it.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
+1

The Mississippi river dumps huge amounts of sediment in the water. That sediment is carried towards Galveston, making the water brown and murky. At certain times, the water can be quite blue and beautiful due to a different pattern of wind and currents.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by james318
The Mississippi river dumps huge amounts of sediment in the water. That sediment is carried towards Galveston, making the water brown and murky. At certain times, the water can be quite blue and beautiful due to a different pattern of wind and currents.
I was about to say, isn't the blue because of what gets discharged from the plants, refineries and other facilities that empty into Galveston Bay, but I digress...

David
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:30 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
+1

I can't disagree with any of your points but given all that Galveston Beach does have going for it (sun, sand, tourists, money, a large body of water), it could and should be a much nicer place to visit than it is.
One of major problems with Galveston is all the Houstonians visiting There, I said it. They bring their food with them (no, not all), and in fine Texas tradition leave their trash behind Hard to make an investment when there is no tax revenue to support it.

Originally Posted by james318
I've driven from Key West to Galveston a couple of decades along, and there is a very clear difference when one gets to the other side of Mobile Bay. Seems that is where the sediement from Mississippi River stops, and it does not end until one gets to Mexico, though Padre Island is not bad for clear water (why spring breakers go there and not so much to Corpus and Galveston).

Originally Posted by DELee
I was about to say, isn't the blue because of what gets discharged from the plants, refineries and other facilities that empty into Galveston Bay, but I digress...
Small potatoes compared to what the Mississippi discharges. Which is why on occasion Galveston will have nice clear water when the conditions are right. Generally for a day or two, and not very often

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.