FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   IAH Any places to sit and hang out pre-security? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1974267-iah-any-places-sit-hang-out-pre-security.html)

TexasKaren Jun 16, 2019 2:28 pm

IAH Any places to sit and hang out pre-security?

So, I'm slowly screwing up my vacation plans one air travel mistake at a time. I was planning to hang out at a lounge before my SQ flight from IAH to MAN in August (still working on lounge access) However, I will have to take a positioning flight from San Antonio to Houston. Because it's a separate ticket on a different airline, I'll have to collect my luggage in Houston and then go check in at Singapore Airlines. I just realized that the SQ counter doesn't open until 3 hrs, 45 min before the flight, so if I end up with a six or seven or more hour layover, because I'm paranoid about missing the connection, where do I hang out with my luggage for three or four hours until I can get through security and hopefully into a lounge somewhere? I don't know which terminal I'll arrive in on UA, but today the SQ flight was leaving from Terminal D. I do want to give myself a ridiculous amount of time in case anything goes wrong with the flight from San Antonio.

LarryJ Jun 16, 2019 2:41 pm

I'd go to the lobby of the airport Marriott. Go down to the lowest level and take the Subway train.

Toshbaf Jun 16, 2019 2:46 pm

I ate at a restaurant in the hotel between Terminals B and C. There are also some seating around the airport. Not large areas but seats here and there. For example, in the ticket counter area in Terminal D. If I remember correctly, the ticket counter area in Terminal B doesn't have seating.There is a little train in the basement that travels between Terminals A, B, hotel, C, and maybe D/E. It is in the general public area (landside). That's separate from the big train that is after security. The little train doesn't go very fast but is faster than walking. The big train goes at possibly 30 mph.

Often1 Jun 16, 2019 4:10 pm

If you really have seven hours and have a long-haul ahead of you, I would call around to airport hotels (call directly not reservations) and see what you can get for a day room rate for the specific hours you will need. Hopefully choose a place with a pool / gym / restaurant as the case may be.

If you do go with the lobby idea, leave your bags with the bell desk. A decent tip and they will be happy and you can then wander around as you wish.

JY1024 Jun 16, 2019 4:42 pm

Moving this to the Texas forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator

Toshbaf Jun 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Oh, I just remember that the airport hotel between Terminal B and C has some very comfortable sofas in the lobby.

Once in a while, even with separate tickets, the airline will tag the bags to the last destination, in this case MAN. Just ask. If so, one can hang around at the gates, which is more comfortable than the check in counter areas.

TexasKaren Jun 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Some great ideas here Thanks! I'll have about 8 hours between flights (just booked the SAT-IAH leg), so if the flight is on time, by the time I get my checked bag, probably a little less than four hours to kill before I can check in for the international flight and get into the gate area.

Mwenenzi Jun 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by TexasKaren (Post 31208980)
<snip>
my SQ flight from IAH to MAN in August (still working on lounge access) However, I will have to take a positioning flight from San Antonio to Houston. Because it's a separate ticket on a different airline, I'll have to collect my luggage in Houston and then go check in at Singapore Airlines.
<snip>
I don't know which terminal I'll arrive in on UA, but today the SQ flight was leaving from Terminal D.

Originally Posted by TexasKaren (Post 31209436)
Some great ideas here Thanks! I'll have about 8 hours between flights (just booked the SAT-IAH leg), so if the flight is on time, by the time I get my checked bag, probably a little less than four hours to kill before I can check in for the international flight and get into the gate area.

Get to SAT early so they can through check your bags, UA & SQ are both Star Alliance
Link-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rtners-no.html

Toshbaf Jun 16, 2019 6:06 pm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texa...ch-time-3.html

post 33 mentions a $99 day rate at the IAH Marriott (between terminals B and C) as a walk up rate (no reservations accepted) but that is from 2013.

That's a possibility if one likes to lie down, watch TV, take a shower, etc. They also have a gym. It's more relaxing than a lounge except no food.

I would explore every terminal but that only takes about 90 minutes. They're all connected now. Before Terminal A was separate and could not be reached without going through security again but that was quite a few years ago.

From Terminal A, one can see the I.M. Pei designed air traffic control tower. Terminal B gates (round satellites) are the original design from the 1970's. Terminal A looks nothing like the original.

TexasKaren Jun 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31209470)
Get to SAT early so they can through check your bags, UA & SQ are both Star Alliance

:eek: Wow! I had no clue. That thread is long but I read the first few pages, and the last few. I'll skim through the rest later, but I found the pertinent verbiage on the United website, so I should be good to hang out in a lounge for 8 hours. Yay me! Even without knowing this, I'd still have chosen the extra long layover because I would hate to miss my flight to England. I can entertain myself just fine, as long as I have a comfy chair and wifi :D

GeauxTigersGeaux Jun 16, 2019 8:35 pm

The United Polaris lounge in IAH strangely has the best damn biscuits and gravy I've ever had. I spent 10+ years in BTR and ATL, and wow. Some chef from Mississippi or Louisiana is clearly in the kitchen. Spicy, tasty, damn good.

Mwenenzi Jun 17, 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by TexasKaren (Post 31209552)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31209470)

:eek: Wow! I had no clue. That thread is long but I read the first few pages, and the last few. I'll skim through the rest later, but I found the pertinent verbiage on the United website, so I should be good to hang out in a lounge for 8 hours. Yay me! Even without knowing this, I'd still have chosen the extra long layover because I would hate to miss my flight to England. I can entertain myself just fine, as long as I have a comfy chair and wifi :D

Click to open the full wiki.
Wiki does not work on some phones, so better to use a laptop

Part of the wiki:-

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
<snip>