Search

Dallas Tourist Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Dallas Tourist Ideas

My mom is spending a week with me in late May then headed to Boston to see my brother his wife and my niece for her graduation from Wellesley College (which by the way I RSVP's NO quicker than I can swipe left on Tinder) but anyway was wondering what are some good must see's here. I presume the book depository as I love History as does she. Anything else? Perhaps a visit to the stock yards in FW?

Thanks
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Touristy things to do in Dallas

1. Rangers game
2. Book depository
3. .....that's all I got.

Seriously, I worked there for 1 year and that's those are the only touristy things I did.

No, wait, a couple more:

1. Drive to Austin for a weekend
2. Drive to San Antonio for a weekend
3. Book AA flights to other places.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
take a stroll along the grassy knoll
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pinniped
Touristy things to do in Dallas

1. Rangers game
2. Book depository
3. .....that's all I got.

Seriously, I worked there for 1 year and that's those are the only touristy things I did.
I didn't even do either of those things in the few months I worked there. I did drive through Dealey Plaza...to get to Deep Ellum. I also really enjoyed Lower Greenville. (I was also in my mid-20's at the time.)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you check out the Texas forum? Maybe there are some ideas on there. Does she like to shop--some cute shopping areas there as I recall...haven't been in a few years. Take her to The Mansion for a special dinner.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Visit Southfork if you liked Dallas
Bush 43 Presidental Library @SMU
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens

Reunion Tower

wrp96 and allset2travel like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
Did you check out the Texas forum? Maybe there are some ideas on there. Does she like to shop--some cute shopping areas there as I recall...haven't been in a few years. Take her to The Mansion for a special dinner.
I haven't checked that forum as it gets looked at once a year. What's the mansion?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped

1. Drive to Austin for a weekend
2. Drive to San Antonio for a weekend
3. Book AA flights to other places.
Dang it, I was going to post something similar. Best thing to do in Dallas.....get out of Dallas.

I saw some live music mostly over in ft worth when I was there for the longest year and a half of my life.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I haven't checked that forum as it gets looked at once a year. What's the mansion?
THE MANSION RESTAURANT
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
And what did you say to the moderator about that?
I look in the forum a few times a week. While it doesn't have a ton of activity, it does get enough to keep the forum alive. I'm guessing 10 posts a month, give or take.

Where else have you looked for tips on what to do in Dallas? What are your/your mother's interests? Are there any mobility issues? What part of town is she staying in?
Someone may enjoy touring the Cowboys stadium or a day at Six Flags...but others may rather stroll the botanical gardens or checking out the GW Bush library or even a visit to the Perot museum.
It is an enormous area, and there obviously is tons to do.
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by aztimm; Apr 9, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Take her to a Rangers game??
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it gets checked more often and besides...I am pretty sure that the same tourist attractions from 6 months ago are still valid. Or even 2 years ago. I don't know what your mom's interests are---did you look on Trip Advisor? Talk to people who have lived in Dallas for a while...where do they take out of town guests.
And for the love of god---PLEASE DO NOT MENTION DATING TO YOUR MOTHER. JUST DON'T.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Beat me to it. I am sure Ian will pass out when he sees the prices but it is very special and it is his mom so hopefully he won't balk at a splurge.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
And what did you say to the moderator about that?
I look in the forum a few times a week. While it doesn't have a ton of activity, it does get enough to keep the forum alive. I'm guessing 10 posts a month, give or take.

Where else have you looked for tips on what to do in Dallas? What are your/your mother's interests? Are there any mobility issues? What part of town is she staying in?
Someone may enjoy touring the Cowboys stadium or a day at Six Flags...but others may rather stroll the botanical gardens or checking out the GW Bush library or even a visit to the Perot museum.
It is an enormous area, and there obviously is tons to do.
Good questions. She’s staying at my place in Frisco. She walks miles everyday in the country with the hounds so no mobility issues.

She doesn’t watch sports unless it’s “proper” football. She would love the botanical gardens though—I didn’t know Dallas had them. Thanks for the tip.

I’m booking her flights as I converted her avois. For someone who has been flying since 1963 she’s still a kettle. Case in point “Ian, the flight from Boston to heathrow will be a ....what’s it called.... redneck flight, right”? Omg mom it’s REDEYE
Jaimito Cartero and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Good questions. She’s staying at my place in Frisco. She walks miles everyday in the country with the hounds so no mobility issues.

She doesn’t watch sports unless it’s “proper” football. She would love the botanical gardens though—I didn’t know Dallas had them. Thanks for the tip.

I’m booking her flights as I converted her avois. For someone who has been flying since 1963 she’s still a kettle. Case in point “Ian, the flight from Boston to heathrow will be a ....what’s it called.... redneck flight, right”? Omg mom it’s REDEYE
Have you checked the schedule for the MLS FC Dallas team?
https://www.fcdallas.com/schedule?year=2019

There may also be ideas in this thread (in the Texas forum):
Layover at DFW - where to go, what to do, how much time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.