Wiki Posts
Search

NW HOU - last day suugestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
NW HOU - last day suugestions

I 'm flying into HOU for the first time in late March for a work conference/training that will last the rest of day Friday plus all day Saturday to about 8 pm. The facility is quite near the junction of US 290 and Beltway 8. Google maps makes it look like a heavily industrial area, but fairly decent. Anybody have comments on the safety of the area, or any non-chain restaurants in the area?

Also, I wanted to fly out late on Sunday so I could visit either USS Texas or NASA visitors center, but the latest I could get a flight was 2:30, so I figure given an 11:00 Sunday opening for these places, it won't be worth it to visit as I'd have to leave after maybe 30 minutes. Are there any suggestions for other attractions in the area that might open little earlier? I love museums and historic sites, FWIW.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat
With that short of a window its going to be hard like you said to schedule anything for Sunday. You could try the Cistern its a short thirty minute tour that is closer to the airport then NASA and interesting to do once. https://buffalobayou.org/visit/destination/the-cistern/, you could do the San Jacinto Monument at 9am and then go to USS Texas but couldn't stay to long. https://www.sanjacinto-museum.org/Monument/Observation_Deck/

I live inside the loop so I can't speak on the safety of that area but times I have gone thru I have never had a concern. Where ever you are in Houston do not leave any bags visible in your car. Lock it up in the trunk or take it with you. It will be stolen.

For BBQ in that area the only thing I know of in that area is Goode Co BBQ up near 99 and 290. Its kinda of one of the original houston BBQ joints. Its good BBQ but not the best in town(Pinkertons or Pit Room). If you go to goode co make sure to get the Pecan Pie. The best side is jambalaya. I like the pork ribs, brisket, and sausage. I think there sauce is the best in town.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
My sister lives in the Jersey Village part of Houston, which is essentially right there. When I visited once, we ate at Los Cucos, which was fantastic:
290 @ La Taquiza

It is a local Houston chain; they have about 10 or so locations around the area.

Are you actually flying out of HOU, or did you use that to designate Houston? If you are indeed flying out of HOU, the NASA visitors' center isn't terribly far, at least compared with IAH Southwest flies in/out of HOU, as do a few other carriers, UA has a major hub at IAH, and most major carriers fly there, with the exception of Southwest.

As far as museums, I'd check the site for the Houston Museum District:
Houston Museum District

Most things in Texas have funky hours on Sundays, if they are open at all. I wouldn't be surprised if some things open as late as noon, but definitely check first.

If you want to do something interesting, the Port of Houston has free boat tours (I've done it once):
https://porthouston.com/sam-houston-boat-tour/
It isn't glamorous, but more educational.

As far as the NW area, it is perfectly fine. My sister loves that area, with the exception of floods (they were hit hard by Harvey). They like it enough that they, and most of their neighbors, have rebuilt to stay there.

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:02 am
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:52 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Gaitlin's BBQ, 3510 Ella Blvd, Houston, TX 77018 , near North Loop West (I-610) and HWY 290. Best BBQ in the area. Demeris BBQ is also close by (there are two, one is 610/290 )

Will you have your own rental car? Also need to know which airport, Bush IAH or Hobby HOU , big difference for timing.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I'm flying in and out of Hobby, and I will have a rental car. Seems like you absolutely need a car in the area unless you're prepared to use Uber all the time...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Gold
With a 2:30 flight, you should be able to go to NASA from 11-12:30, be at rental car return by 12:50-55, get to security by 1:05, and be at your gate with plenty of time... That would be my plan.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.