Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Best hotel near IAH- have Marriott cat 1-5 and IHG (any) free night certs

Old Dec 8, 17, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles

In March my wife and I have an overnight layover at IAH. The trip planning didn't allow for a very long layover. We arrive at 8:47 in the evening and depart again at 7:20 in the morning. We don't have checked baggage and both of us are TSA pre-check so that should help a bit.

I am wondering how much extra time we should allot to an Uber to downtown hotels vs. staying at the airport hotels which mostly have complimentary shuttles. I have a Marriott cat 1-5 free night cert and an IHG cert good for any room, so I'd like to get the best bang for my buck on these certs, but I wouldn't give up an extra 2 hours of precious sleep just to get to the downtown hotels if that's what it would take.

To preempt the question, "Why would you care what hotel you're getting if you're just going to basically sleep there for 6 hours and then leave?" The answer is: because it's free and the certificate I don't use will likely expire. I write reviews of hotels for my website and I would rather write a little about a nice hotel than a lot about an average one.

Any tips?
(from awardmapper.com)

Last edited by valuetactics; Dec 8, 17 at 12:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 8, 17, 8:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Given those options I'd probably pick the JW Marriott. I can't believe it is a cat 5 and the Marriott at IAH is a cat 6. I'll never understand Marriott.... anyway It's in a pretty central area, so despite your late arrival you can still get a good dinner if you want. Also traffic from there in the morning when you need to leave will still be light to non existent.

Be aware that the Uber fare will be ~$35-40 each way from IAH to the galleria or med center. Just an FYI.
Old Aug 26, 18, 8:51 pm

Best? Probably not. Close, easy to get to, and perfectly acceptable? Absolutely.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...5-54ba596febe2

Car rental may be cheaper than Uber.

edit - holy .... this thread is from 2017. Not much action in the Texas forum.
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Best? Probably not. Close, easy to get to, and perfectly acceptable? Absolutely.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/houfa-fairfield-inn-and-suites-houston-north-spring/?scid=bb1a189a-fec3-4d19-a255-54ba596febe2

Car rental may be cheaper than Uber.

edit - holy .... this thread is from 2017. Not much action in the Texas forum.
Some fora are more quiet than others
Old Aug 30, 18, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Given those options I'd probably pick the JW Marriott. I can't believe it is a cat 5 and the Marriott at IAH is a cat 6. I'll never understand Marriott.... anyway It's in a pretty central area, so despite your late arrival you can still get a good dinner if you want. Also traffic from there in the morning when you need to leave will still be light to non existent.

Be aware that the Uber fare will be ~$35-40 each way from IAH to the galleria or med center. Just an FYI.
I don't know if Marriott changed the category of the in-airport property at IAH but it's a Cat 4 now. Bad timing for the OP?
Old Aug 31, 18, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio View Post
I don't know if Marriott changed the category of the in-airport property at IAH but it's a Cat 4 now. Bad timing for the OP?
yep.

David

Search this Thread