Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyingHoustonian
IAH / Houston, George Bush Intercontinental Airport

United FT forum thread on IAH

Hotels for overnight near IAH

Lounge thread on IAH and HOU:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airp...s-iah-hou.html

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

IAH Airport General Questions [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AAMCI
This trip, I will be originating at IAH, checking in for a KLM flight at Terminal D. I have TSA Precheck and Clear, but I see that Clear is not available in Terminal D. How are the security lines at Terminal D around 8PM on Sundays? Is there a way to walk to Terminal C or E (both of which have Clear) for expedited security if there is a long line in Terminal D?
PreCheck at Terminal D is my preferred way to get to the D or E gates these days. It should be very quick at 8 p.m. on a Sunday. No reason to got to C, and as noted previously, E security is temporarily closed.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
Traffic is really bad at times at IAH due to construction. People were getting out of cars and walking.

https://www.chron.com/life/travel/ar...EtqH59ZVK-YyUE

I landed on a Sunday night a few weeks ago, and it was really bad, basically grid lock around Terminal C.
I am returning a rental car and taking the shuttle bus to the terminal. Are the rental car shuttle busses also getting stuck in the multiple hour traffic jams? My flight is at 10:30pm (on a Sunday)) and checkin counter opens at 7:30pm. Any recommendations on what time to return rental car to minimize the chance of missing the flight?

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA
Are the rental car shuttle busses also getting stuck in the multiple hour traffic jams?
YES!!! The parking shuttles drive in the same lanes as private vehicles.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I am returning a rental car and taking the shuttle bus to the terminal. Are the rental car shuttle busses also getting stuck in the multiple hour traffic jams? My flight is at 10:30pm (on a Sunday)) and checkin counter opens at 7:30pm. Any recommendations on what time to return rental car to minimize the chance of missing the flight?!
Again, 8 p.m. on a Sunday is pretty quiet even with construction making traffic patterns a mess. And D again is the winner here for quick[er] ingress by shuttle than the other terminals.

Personally, if I was able to check in online and had only carry-on luggage, I would plan on arriving the rental car center around 8:40 p.m. With luggage to check, but with access to the KL business class check-in counter, I’d shoot for a rental car drop by 8:30 p.m.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
YES!!! The parking shuttles drive in the same lanes as private vehicles.
For D, they can veer right and avoid the much more congested C access lanes to the left. I’ve been able to get into D expeditiously on all my IAH departures over the past two months.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:16 pm

Some changes were made, supposedly. This was the top story on the local news tonight. Added a lane at Terminal E pickup, have officers directing traffic.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...-traffic-flow/
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:01 am

Hi all!
We are flying LHR-IAH-LIM next Thursday on UA and we have a connection time of 1h45mins in IAH. We land in LIM at 23:00. We have a separate booking at 9:15am the next day so really would like not to minimize chances to not make the LIM flight!

I have read a few past discussions and I cannot understand 100% if the one stop immigration will be available if we check-in bags in LHR. I have read here that for International-to-International connection the bags will be checked through - but I also found some contrasting information on what is happening post-Covid
We are away for three weeks and I am afraid we won't be able to squeeze everything in a hand baggage... Can someone help or give any tips?

Also, I guess it won't help - but are star alliance gold - and we are not US citizen (EU)

Thank you!
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by GiPi
We are flying LHR-IAH-LIM next Thursday on UA and we have a connection time of 1h45mins in IAH.
The UA board has a similar and possibly fresher thread. I think the I-I bags is functional. I'd ask the UA thread about immigration lines at IAH at the time you land, plus the construction at Terminal E and impacts on the security checkpoint for international arrivals. I suppose you'll make it, but I don' t think you'll have any time to spare.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 6:15 am

does anyone know the minimum connection time required for a flight from the UK to MCO via IAH please. They have allowed 1 hour 15 on the way out, would need to clear immigration and collect bags and presumably through security again?

On the way home only 50 minutes but presumably just security to clear.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by ACES70
does anyone know the minimum connection time required for a flight from the UK to MCO via IAH please. They have allowed 1 hour 15 on the way out, would need to clear immigration and collect bags and presumably through security again?

On your way home, you won't even have security, just walk gate-to-gate. On the inbound, you will need to do immigration and customs. It seems a little tight to me, but the airlines must have a better handle on the current times to get through immigration. Note that at IAH, customs is just walking past some agents manning the exit, no forms to show, no xrays to pass through, no lines, just a stead stream of passengers walking out. Then make a right to recheck your bags and go upstairs to security.
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ACES70

Is this on UA? This might be better suited for the UA forum, and I'd be happy to move your question over there.

Otherwise, that would be a tight connection from BA to UA (or otherwise). Heck even a UA to UA 1:15 would be tight at IAH.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Planning to meet someone at YUME in Terminal E.
But what does this mean? No food? website says “Due to COVID-19 only Yume Market and Bar are open”.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
Planning to meet someone at YUME in Terminal E.
But what does this mean? No food? website says “Due to COVID-19 only Yume Market and Bar are open”.
Educated guess: website has not been updated. With no restrictions in Texas, probably just a leftover.
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 2:39 pm

St Louis to IAH to Calgary - 60 minute layover enough?

I'm from the US, going from St Louis Lambert airport to IAH - catching connecting flight to Calgary Canada, bags will be checked through. Is 60 minutes enough to make connection, if flight is on time? Will be this May on a Sunday 8:27am arrive.... 9:32am depart if that matters. TIA
Old Feb 23, 2023, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Divy65
I'm from the US, going from St Louis Lambert airport to IAH - catching connecting flight to Calgary Canada, bags will be checked through. Is 60 minutes enough to make connection, if flight is on time? Will be this May on a Sunday 8:27am arrive.... 9:32am depart if that matters. TIA
65 minutes should be sufficient time. First flights of the day are generally less susceptible to delays. Plus, there are multiple options to get you to YYC the same day if something goes awry and you misconnect.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.