Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Hotel for IAH overnight (Hilton Preferred)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

My parents are taking my neice who lives in Texas to Hawaii. They (all 3) will need a hotel near IAH to spend the night before departing at 9am to Kona via DEN (and a 787 IAH-DEN flight. I know I'm jealous). They have status and prefer to stay at Hilton Properties. All the following are around $100-$119 for March 7th thru the 8th, wanted to know some opinions.

Hampton Inn Houston/Humble (off US 59/I-69)
Hampton Inn Houston/Atascocita **there is a 8K HH/$40 deal so might make an Uber worth it
Hilton Garden Inn Cypress Station

And any other ideas?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I think the 8k/$40 deal at the Hampton is a no brainer even though HGI's have (as you know) the far superior breakfast. Breakfast may not be a consideration for them though with a somewhat early departure.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Isn't there a Doubletree on JFK Blvd leading to airport?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:10 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by lindaiah
Isn't there a Doubletree on JFK Blvd leading to airport?
yes there is, adjacent to all the jack in the boxes and tacobells as one could ever need.

there's also a hampton inn down the road and i think they have a parking+room deal, and i think i read somewhere they happy to play ball for a cash offer. ramada inn next door for sure has cheap airport parking + shuttle. something to consider, makes more sense than driving 2 blocks to the eco park then taking a shuttle. but op also mentioned uber so i guess they getting a ride or something.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for not making this clear but my parents live in Jersey and my neice Texas. Parents will be coming in on UA from EWR and will need a shuttle or uber to the hotel and back. I ultimately decided to book the Hilton Houston North for them at 20K HHonors points which has a shuttle and the King/Sofabed setup they want. Also if I've done my math right points are work .4 cents per point making the "cost" of the trip $80 including all taxes. I have read the greenpoint area isn't that nice but they are just going to be staying there for like 10 hours and will be in the hotel the whole time.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
The Greenspoint area is known colloquially as "Gunspoint," but if they're staying in the hotel the whole time and don't have a car to worry about, they should be just fine.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I ultimately decided to book the Hilton Houston North for them at 20K HHonors points which has a shuttle and the King/Sofabed setup they want. Also if I've done my math right points are work .4 cents per point making the "cost" of the trip $80 including all taxes. I have read the greenpoint area isn't that nice but they are just going to be staying there for like 10 hours and will be in the hotel the whole time.
It's not a bad property, TBH. I did a 1 night stay there 5-6 weeks ago and got upgraded to a decent suite. The shuttle runs as promised and if your relatives feel risk taking, there is a Whataburger a few minute walk away

Feel free to check out the property thread that lives in the Hilton forum, I posted pics/thoughts there:

Hilton Houston North {US-TX}
Old Feb 6, 2017, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baritone73
The Greenspoint area is known colloquially as "Gunspoint," but if they're staying in the hotel the whole time and don't have a car to worry about, they should be just fine.
Well it gets rated 4 out of 5 on Trip Advisor with over 1,000 reviews, I guess most of these are people just overnighting without cars. They arrive at 830pm from EWR and leave at 900am the next day to KOA via DEN. So it shouldn't be a big deal.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Well it gets rated 4 out of 5 on Trip Advisor with over 1,000 reviews, I guess most of these are people just overnighting without cars. They arrive at 830pm from EWR and leave at 900am the next day to KOA via DEN. So it shouldn't be a big deal.
I was probably overly harsh in my post. I stayed at that hotel myself a few years ago (for about three days, with a car) and can't complain at all about the experience. The neighborhood is sketchy, though.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:07 am

Your relatives should be fine. I’ve stayed at that Hilton a few times, sometimes with a car, and never had problems (I’ve seen security patrolling the parking lot). The area is certainly sketchy and I would not advise walking anywhere. But I have found the rooms clean and comfortable and the staff accommodating.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: points traveller
wondering if anyone has updates to this? We arrive 3pm on a friday and are out at 7am the next day. Travelling with an infant so wondering if the little bit extra to stay at the Marriott is better than an 'offsite' location?

Cheers
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
wondering if anyone has updates to this? We arrive 3pm on a friday and are out at 7am the next day. Travelling with an infant so wondering if the little bit extra to stay at the Marriott is better than an 'offsite' location?

Cheers
(Dated Content Warning. Used to fly though IAH frequently. Have not been there in some time. But since you are not getting more-current responses).

Under your circumstances I would spring for the on-airport hotel. I assume it is still a Marriott and can still be reached by the airport people mover. (It used to be very slow. Call the hotel to ask how to access it)..

You would probably be OK with something on JFK Boulevard (just south of the airport) if you watch your shuttle time. But I might even call ahead to make sure they run that early.

The "airport zone" includes hotels as far away as the Greenspoint Area (there used to even be another Marriott there). It is not right around the corner and adds an element of delayed shuttle risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.