Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Connection @ IAH--need advice, please!

Connection @ IAH--need advice, please!

Old Jan 17, 17, 7:51 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Connection @ IAH--need advice, please!

Husband and I have a return flight to Canada, from New Zealand, by way of Houston, as follows:

AKL-IAH on Air New Zealand, arriving Terminal D, 1:45 p.m.

IAH LAYOVER: 1 hour, 55 minutes

IAH-YYZ on Air Canada, departing Terminal A, at 3:40 p.m.

Air New Zealand and Air Canada are part of a Star Alliance Interline Agreement.

I am assuming (a) we will have both boarding passes in hand in AKL and
(b) our luggage will be checked all the way through to Toronto, Canada.

1. Are we required to clear U.S. Customs/Immigration in IAH?
2. Are we required to pick up our checked luggage in IAH?
3. We both have NEXUS card--will that be useful here?

Can someone help 2 senior citizens understand protocols so that we can increase the likelihood that we, and luggage, will make it to our connecting flight to bring us home! I understand the Skyway connection at IAH will take us from Terminal D to Terminal A. I'm not clear on what is likely to happen in between!
browneyedgirl is offline  
Old Jan 18, 17, 5:43 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,034
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl View Post
I am assuming (a) we will have both boarding passes in hand in AKL and
(b) our luggage will be checked all the way through to Toronto, Canada.

1. Are we required to clear U.S. Customs/Immigration in IAH?
2. Are we required to pick up our checked luggage in IAH?
3. We both have NEXUS card--will that be useful here?

Can someone help 2 senior citizens understand protocols so that we can increase the likelihood that we, and luggage, will make it to our connecting flight to bring us home! I understand the Skyway connection at IAH will take us from Terminal D to Terminal A. I'm not clear on what is likely to happen in between!
1) Yes
2) Yes, you'll collect your bags, go through customs, and then upon exit will recheck your bags by dropping them off before you go reclear security
3) Yes, very useful. NEXUS includes access to global entry so you'll be able to use the kiosks and skip the often long lines for non-US citizens. If you don't use global entry, I believe Canadian citizens can use the automated passport control which again is faster than the long normal line

Assuming your flight is on time, 2 hrs should be enough time to get through and make your flight home. To further save time, you can make sure your known traveller number is entered on your reservation so you have precheck on your boarding passes and then follow instructions in the wiki in this thread to the Terminal E security which is usually faster than the transfer security:

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Jan 22, 17, 6:14 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
To further save time, you can make sure your known traveller number is entered on your reservation so you have precheck on your boarding passes and then follow instructions in the wiki in this thread to the Terminal E security which is usually faster than the transfer security:

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at IAH
Thank you krazykanuck, for your guidance. Will follow the link you provided. Can you clarify something: I don't understand "known traveller number" and how to enter it on our reservation. Is this something we do independently, or do we request a ticketing agent to do this on our behalf? I have never done this before.

TIA,
Elaine
browneyedgirl is offline  
Old Jan 22, 17, 10:15 pm
  #4  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,034
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl View Post
Thank you krazykanuck, for your guidance. Will follow the link you provided. Can you clarify something: I don't understand "known traveller number" and how to enter it on our reservation. Is this something we do independently, or do we request a ticketing agent to do this on our behalf? I have never done this before.
To find this number, look on the back of your Nexus card, it's the 9 digit number listed under PASSID in the upper left corner. If you want access to TSA Precheck, it needs to be associated with your reservation prior to check in. I can add this to my reservation using United.com, but if you booked through a travel agent they should know how to do this.

That being said, this isn't necessary for you do to, I only mentioned it as an option.
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Jan 23, 17, 8:23 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 27
Gee, that's good to know. I will look into that.

Thanks again krazykanuck. Blessings.
browneyedgirl is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 8:14 am
  #6  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
2) Yes, you'll collect your bags, go through customs, and then upon exit will recheck your bags by dropping them off before you go reclear security
INCORRECT: at iah intl<>intl bags are checked thru and you do not need to touch them. this has been the system for a few years now. just make sure anz checks you thru to your canadian destination.

this has been the case for me on ua>ua flights and nh>ua flights only. i never took a nz>ac flight via iah, and i only carried on tk>ua flights. so op should double check.

edit: kk is right, all nz bags must be picked, even intl>intl https://www.airnewzealand.com/connecting-at-houston

i do know however that the d security checkpoint is always dead before 2pm. but d and e doesn't have pre check, but c and b does.

Last edited by cur; Jan 30, 17 at 8:41 am
cur is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread