FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   Beaumont TX - best airport to fly into (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1789388-beaumont-tx-best-airport-fly-into.html)

jahason Sep 7, 2016 4:54 am

Beaumont TX - best airport to fly into

Can anyone advice the best airport to fly into for Beaumont TX. I'll be staying at Residence Inn.

I'll be flying in from New York so cost is not a factor (to a degree). I would prefer an airport with minimum driving time. I'll probably have some jet lag trying to adjust from UK time.

I would appreciate any advice.

Paint Horse Sep 7, 2016 7:41 am

I cannot give you any advice on this, but the title of the thread reminded me of the one time I flew into Beaumont many years ago. Once in the terminal I headed to baggage claim which consisted of a small sloped platform attached to an exterior wall. A tug pulled up on the outside. The driver hopped off, grabbed the bags off the trailer, and threw them through the hole in the wall onto the platform. I found this highly entertaining.

SAT Lawyer Sep 7, 2016 7:59 am

AA is the only scheduled airline serving BPT. Twice daily out of DFW.

Your next best option would be to fly to HOU, rent a car, and drive the roughly 83 miles, or IAH, which is about 92 miles away from the Residence Inn.

swag Sep 7, 2016 7:59 am

I guess commercial service into BPT Jack Brooks Regional Airport (Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX) has been intermittent over the years, but there are currently 2x daily flights on AA from DFW. If you're looking to minimize the drive, and if you can get a decent connection at DFW, that's your best bet.

jahason Sep 7, 2016 8:33 am

Thank you very much. AA would be great as I try to use One World carriers. I'll see if I can get a connecting flight via DFW.

FlyingHoustonian Sep 10, 2016 11:34 pm

United used to fly the BPT route from IAH, but now runs a dedicated bus service to and from BPT from the IAH terminal, which you can purchase as a ticket as part of flights to Houston.

But as others noted AA is now the only actual airline flying to BPT, via DFW.

It is an hour and half drive from Houston-Bush IAH or Houston-Hobby HOU.

Lake Charles, Louisana is about 45 mins (~50 miles) from Beaumont and they have connecting service on AA from DFW and United from Houston-IAH.

There are, of course, plenty of daily non-stops from London-LHR to both IAH on UA and BA and DFW on BA and AA.

Good luck!

EmailKid Sep 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 27194663)

Lake Charles, Louisana is about 45 mins (~50 miles) from Beaumont and they have connecting service on AA from DFW and United from Houston-IAH.

That would be a much easier drive than from Houston, but if OP is a oneWorld flier then AA to BPT would seem the logical choice.

I'm *A and would take the bus just for the novelty of it - realizing full well it may get old within first 15 minutes.

FlyingHoustonian Sep 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 27198246)
That would be a much easier drive than from Houston, but if OP is a oneWorld flier then AA to BPT would seem the logical choice.

I'm *A and would take the bus just for the novelty of it - realizing full well it may get old within first 15 minutes.

I concur completely, just wanted to list the most options.

OW fliers could easily do AA (or BA) non-stop LHR-DFW then hit the BPT flight.
Having never priced them out, I am not sure if there would be a huge price difference in the others (and if work is paying maybe it does not matter).

on a tangent BPT used to have Southwest many years ago and Continental (then UA before the bus). So many Texas towns have lost UA service which AA is much better at supporting via DFW (SJT, DRT, ABI, etc)

jahason Sep 14, 2016 1:37 am

Thanks again for the informative comments. All things being equal I will fly into NYC first to meet up with an old friend from England over the weekend. Then it seems the best option is to fly into BPT via DFW.