FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Texas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas-695/)
-   -   Best BBQ in/near DAL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas/1785930-best-bbq-near-dal.html)

emika Aug 20, 2016 4:49 pm

Best BBQ in/near DAL?

Saw that there was thread for best BBQ near DFW and things to do during a layover there but nothing for DAL.

I've never had Texas BBQ and I'd like to try some during my 5 hour layover at DAL next Friday (12:40 PM to 5:40 PM) but not sure what the best options are. Would prefer a place that gives you some white bread aka napkins for sopping :o

Google says that there's a Dickey's in DAL but my Texan friends told me to just go outside and find something better but they disagree on what's better so I'm turning to FT for help.

swag Aug 20, 2016 8:24 pm

Closest to Love Field is probably Big Al's. Maybe even walkable, if it's not too hot, about 2 miles. It gets good reviews, I haven't been in years, but remember it as good but not noteworthy.

A little further, but still a short (15 min) Uber ride is the Slow Bone. Outstanding brisket, not sure about white bread but try the jalepeno corm bread on the side. That'd be my recommendation.

Consensus best in town is Pecan Lodge, but be prepared for a very long line, especially on a Friday. With 5 hours, though, you should be ok.

emika Aug 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Thank you! I'm going to try for Pecan Lodge because go big or go home. Slow Bone if inbound is delayed and it hasn't closed for the day yet.

Wasn't too happy about having a layover but now I'm looking forward to having some BBQ :D

Herb687 Aug 22, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by swag (Post 27095126)
Closest to Love Field is probably Big Al's. Maybe even walkable, if it's not too hot, about 2 miles. It gets good reviews, I haven't been in years, but remember it as good but not noteworthy.

Was there not too long ago for lunch while showing an airplane at KDAL. Unremarkable BBQ. I wouldn't go back unless time was of the essence.

Consensus best in town is Pecan Lodge, but be prepared for a very long line, especially on a Friday. With 5 hours, though, you should be ok.
Actually I think the bigger risk at Pecan Lodge is not the line but being out of food given OP's time window of 1240-1740. Pecan Lodge stays open all day on Friday and Saturday but when I have been there during odd hours for a very late lunch/very early dinner, they are often out of a lot of their food. New batches come off the smoker later for the traditional dinner hours crowd.

Suggestion to OP: give Pecan Lodge a call before you leave KDAL to head their way and make sure they have plenty of brisket left (I can almost guarantee they will be out of beef ribs).

emika Aug 22, 2016 7:27 pm

I didn't even think about availability issues! I can live without the beef ribs but brisket is a must. Calling is a good idea and I'll pop in here on Saturday or Friday for an update :)

Paint Horse Aug 23, 2016 10:36 am

Everyone can live without beef ribs.

Lawyerneering Sep 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Pecan Lodge.

And living without beef ribs is a suspect proposition.

Paint Horse Sep 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lawyerneering (Post 27259444)
Pecan Lodge.

And living without beef ribs is a suspect proposition.

We are in Texas. Ribs are pork.

MissJoeyDFW Oct 1, 2016 12:43 pm

I completely agree with the Pecan Lodge suggestion that place is excellent. Also I would add Lockharts in the Bishop Arts District.

EmailKid Oct 3, 2016 3:14 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned Sonny Bryan's on Mockingbird. Further than Al's but this is an :-: institution :-:

Free ride from the airport on bus #524, but connection to the other bus is horrible. About 10 minute walk on Inwood.

Ride back to DAL is not free on DART, but if during weekday between 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. only $1.75. The whole walk one way is probably 45 minutes.

I walk these routes regularly for exercise :)

CloudCoder Aug 5, 2017 4:22 pm

Sonny Bryan's (Inwood at Harry Hines) is located practically in the shadow of Love Field. Barbecue abounds with personal opinions. Yet, in my view, Sonny Bryan's near DAL is the best Barbecue on the planet.

EmailKid Aug 5, 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 28652424)
Sonny Bryan's (Inwood at Harry Hines) is located practically in the shadow of Love Field. Barbecue abounds with personal opinions. Yet, in my view, Sonny Bryan's near DAL is the best Barbecue on the planet.

Agree it's excellent, but wow, that's high praise indeed.

And it's been open 24/7 for a while now. Gone is the sign that said "Open until we run out of food."

But I'm not sure I'd say it's in the shadow of DAL ;)

Without traffic probably 10 minute drive. Lots and lots of taxis, Ubers and Lyfts at Love.

About an hour walk each way if you want to work off your meal, but I would NOT suggest that this time of the year.

1readyset2go Aug 7, 2017 10:49 pm

I have only been to Pecan Lodge (twice) of those mentioned, but I still dream about that place!

869 Aug 13, 2017 10:36 am

Two things. First, definitely pecan lodge over lockhart, which is, IMO, hit or miss on being elite bbq.

2nd, so you've called PL to confirm they have meat (never known this to be a problem since they opened the deep ellum store) and are headed that way. Assuming you get there and find a long line, check inside for a seat at the bar. You can order from the bartender and skip the line if you snag one of the barstools.

MissJoeyDFW Aug 14, 2017 10:10 am

Uber or take a Taxi to Pecan Lodge, ignore all suggestions that are not Pecan Lodge.