Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Wife flying out 1 day before I fly In on AA at DFW, how to..

Wife flying out 1 day before I fly In on AA at DFW, how to..

Old Jul 23, 16, 5:09 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: AA PLATINUM
Posts: 127
Wife flying out 1 day before I fly In on AA at DFW, how to..

How to get keys to car. There is only 1 set of keys (business car), she flies out of DFW Thursday and I fly In to DFW on Friday. How can I get the keys? Please advise thanks
CUSO is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 5:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by CUSO View Post
How to get keys to car. There is only 1 set of keys (business car), she flies out of DFW Thursday and I fly In to DFW on Friday. How can I get the keys? Please advise thanks
Where did she plan to park the car? If she used valet wouldn't they keep the keys?
carla568 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 5:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 156
Originally Posted by carla568 View Post
Where did she plan to park the car? If she used valet wouldn't they keep the keys?
Well then the OP is going to have to figure out how to get the valet ticket I guess...
MCIUnitedGuy is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 6:07 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 585
Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy View Post
Well then the OP is going to have to figure out how to get the valet ticket I guess...
What's the procedure if one were to lose the valet ticket?
tlott is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 6:09 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 403
DFW valet (which is actually only a few more bucks than self park in terminals and incredibly convenient since chances are high for terminal arrival being different from departure if flying AA) is very accommodating to requests. If she simply dropped the car off and clearly made a request to allow you to pick it up, I am sure they would do it with some sort of id.
shgroamer is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 6:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Orleans
Programs: AA Pt Pro
Posts: 646
A short term solution?

Park in short term, stash key in car or in trunk, leave unlocked, leave ticket for parking hidden in another part of the car, send text/call/email w/ car's location.


(have actually done some variant of this multiple times, fortunately, drive old cars which aren't too interesting to crooks)

Let us know how it worked out!
bucketlist is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 6:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 849
Originally Posted by CUSO View Post
How to get keys to car. There is only 1 set of keys (business car), she flies out of DFW Thursday and I fly In to DFW on Friday. How can I get the keys? Please advise thanks
Not sure if you have time/money to install this. Kind of expensive but
if this is a recurring issue, this could be a good solution. You do not
need a key at all :-)
----------------
The Viper SmartStart from Directed Electronics works with Viper alarm and remote-start systems. Those without Viper alarm systems must buy a $499 alarm system for their car; those who already have such a system can add on a $299 interface. With the hardware installed, car owners can lock and unlock, open the trunk, and sound the horn on their cars via the internet. The company points out that, as the app runs over the internet rather than traditional keyless-entry signals, it has a “virtually unlimited range.” In theory, you could start a car in Nebraska while sitting on the beach in Florida.
flyalways is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 6:48 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 2,616
Originally Posted by shgroamer View Post
DFW valet (which is actually only a few more bucks than self park in terminals and incredibly convenient since chances are high for terminal arrival being different from departure if flying AA) is very accommodating to requests. If she simply dropped the car off and clearly made a request to allow you to pick it up, I am sure they would do it with some sort of id.
And wife could take a pic of valet ticket. Send it to husband as text.
carlosdca is online now  
Old Jul 23, 16, 7:01 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nashville,TN
Programs: AA Gold Elite
Posts: 322
Leave the key on top of one of the tires and have her tell you where she parked the car. That way you can at least lock the car. You really have to look hard to see the key if you do that.
sweetsleep is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 7:03 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: AA LT Plat
Posts: 3,682
This is AA-related how?

You can buy one of those magnetic key boxes that one sticks to somewhere under the car, maybe wheel well. Cheap.
SeeBuyFly is online now  
Old Jul 23, 16, 8:03 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 2,904
Probably too simple:

Have a second key made.

MrsDallas49er and I fly in and out of DFW frequently. She has her keys. I have mine. First one in takes picture of car in slot, texts to second one in.

Oh did I mention, have a second, third key made?
Dallas49er is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 8:15 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,269
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
Have a second key made.

MrsDallas49er and I fly in and out of DFW frequently. She has her keys. I have mine. First one in takes picture of car in slot, texts to second one in.

Oh did I mention, have a second, third key made?
Note that this is a company car. Since spare keys for newer cars (with the authentication chip and whatnot) can cost north of $300, it might not be worth it for a one-off situation.

I second the key-on-tire or magnetic box ideas. Pretty unlikely someone will go out of their way to look for the key, unless it's a Tesla X or similar
rjw242 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 8:19 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Agnostic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 2,904
Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Note that this is a company car. Since spare keys for newer cars (with the authentication chip and whatnot) can cost north of $300, it might not be worth it for a one-off situation.

I second the key-on-tire or magnetic box ideas. Pretty unlikely someone will go out of their way to look for the key, unless it's a Tesla X or similar
My last 3 cars came with 2 sets of "keys".

I 3rd the key on tire idea.
Dallas49er is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 8:28 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,269
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
My last 3 cars came with 2 sets of "keys".
Mine too, but it sounds like the business is retaining the spare set in this instance.
rjw242 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 8:37 pm
  #15  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,986
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
This is AA-related how?

You can buy one of those magnetic key boxes that one sticks to somewhere under the car, maybe wheel well. Cheap.
This isn't AA related. Which is why I'm moving it off to the Texas forum.
aztimm is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread