Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Wife flying out 1 day before I fly In on AA at DFW, how to..

Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM

How to get keys to car. There is only 1 set of keys (business car), she flies out of DFW Thursday and I fly In to DFW on Friday. How can I get the keys? Please advise thanks
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by CUSO
How to get keys to car. There is only 1 set of keys (business car), she flies out of DFW Thursday and I fly In to DFW on Friday. How can I get the keys? Please advise thanks
Where did she plan to park the car? If she used valet wouldn't they keep the keys?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by carla568
Where did she plan to park the car? If she used valet wouldn't they keep the keys?
Well then the OP is going to have to figure out how to get the valet ticket I guess...
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by MCIUnitedGuy
Well then the OP is going to have to figure out how to get the valet ticket I guess...
What's the procedure if one were to lose the valet ticket?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
DFW valet (which is actually only a few more bucks than self park in terminals and incredibly convenient since chances are high for terminal arrival being different from departure if flying AA) is very accommodating to requests. If she simply dropped the car off and clearly made a request to allow you to pick it up, I am sure they would do it with some sort of id.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A short term solution?

Park in short term, stash key in car or in trunk, leave unlocked, leave ticket for parking hidden in another part of the car, send text/call/email w/ car's location.

(have actually done some variant of this multiple times, fortunately, drive old cars which aren't too interesting to crooks)

Let us know how it worked out!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CUSO
Not sure if you have time/money to install this. Kind of expensive but
if this is a recurring issue, this could be a good solution. You do not
need a key at all :-)
----------------
The Viper SmartStart from Directed Electronics works with Viper alarm and remote-start systems. Those without Viper alarm systems must buy a $499 alarm system for their car; those who already have such a system can add on a $299 interface. With the hardware installed, car owners can lock and unlock, open the trunk, and sound the horn on their cars via the internet. The company points out that, as the app runs over the internet rather than traditional keyless-entry signals, it has a “virtually unlimited range.” In theory, you could start a car in Nebraska while sitting on the beach in Florida.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by shgroamer
DFW valet (which is actually only a few more bucks than self park in terminals and incredibly convenient since chances are high for terminal arrival being different from departure if flying AA) is very accommodating to requests. If she simply dropped the car off and clearly made a request to allow you to pick it up, I am sure they would do it with some sort of id.
And wife could take a pic of valet ticket. Send it to husband as text.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Leave the key on top of one of the tires and have her tell you where she parked the car. That way you can at least lock the car. You really have to look hard to see the key if you do that.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:03 pm

This is AA-related how?

You can buy one of those magnetic key boxes that one sticks to somewhere under the car, maybe wheel well. Cheap.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Probably too simple:

Have a second key made.

MrsDallas49er and I fly in and out of DFW frequently. She has her keys. I have mine. First one in takes picture of car in slot, texts to second one in.

Oh did I mention, have a second, third key made?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Have a second key made.

MrsDallas49er and I fly in and out of DFW frequently. She has her keys. I have mine. First one in takes picture of car in slot, texts to second one in.

Oh did I mention, have a second, third key made?
Note that this is a company car. Since spare keys for newer cars (with the authentication chip and whatnot) can cost north of $300, it might not be worth it for a one-off situation.

I second the key-on-tire or magnetic box ideas. Pretty unlikely someone will go out of their way to look for the key, unless it's a Tesla X or similar
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by rjw242
Note that this is a company car. Since spare keys for newer cars (with the authentication chip and whatnot) can cost north of $300, it might not be worth it for a one-off situation.

I second the key-on-tire or magnetic box ideas. Pretty unlikely someone will go out of their way to look for the key, unless it's a Tesla X or similar
My last 3 cars came with 2 sets of "keys".

I 3rd the key on tire idea.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
My last 3 cars came with 2 sets of "keys".
Mine too, but it sounds like the business is retaining the spare set in this instance.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
This is AA-related how?

You can buy one of those magnetic key boxes that one sticks to somewhere under the car, maybe wheel well. Cheap.
This isn't AA related. Which is why I'm moving it off to the Texas forum. @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.