Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

What to do in 2.5 days / 3 nights in Austin in September?

Old Jul 12, 16, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Short getaway trip with my wife to Austin in mid-September where we get to town on a Wednesday afternoon then out Saturday AM. Staying in an AirBNB condo on Rainey Street just north of the river (lake?).

Saw the thread posted earlier that discussed BBQ.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...ut-austin.html

What other suggestions does the board have? Goal is to eat BBQ & tacos, drink beer, listen to some music and be away from the kids for a few days.

Also, a few questions...

Do we need a car? Was not planning on having one, but could rent one for a day if going to Salt Lick or somewhere out of town for BBQ. (Though downtown rentals have to be back by 6 PM it appears.)

Though I've never used Uber or Lyft, was hoping to use them for in-town transport. Recommendation of a company filling their void?

Best way to get to and from the airport from our condo? Heard there's a good bus that's inexpensive. Only concern is that we have an 8 AM flight home so I want to make sure we have a good way back to the airport.

Have seen companies that take pick up in downtown and take people river tubing. Looks fun but worth doing on a short stay? Seems more fun with a group rather than just as a couple.

Suggestions for eating and drinking. Preferably good quality, but not necessarily with that high end price.

Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 16, 3:18 pm

My wife and I did Austin for a few days this past Christmas. We stayed at Hotel Van Zandt which is right on Rainey st. So look into that if you don't find a airbnb.

Uber and Lyft are no longer in Austin. That's what we used while there so I have no clue how their normal taxi service is.

One must hit for dining is 24 diner. It's near the Wholefoods. Uchi is a highly-rated restaurant if you like sushi etc. There is a fantastic pizza place but I'll have to report back with the name.

I would say dodge 6th street unless you're of college age and want to get sh*t faced. Think of it as bourbon st but with a higher homeless population (just my $.02).

I hear the hiking in Austin is great so if you are into that you will want to rent a car to get you out of the city.
Old Jul 15, 16, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DetailsIM View Post
My wife and I did Austin for a few days this past Christmas. We stayed at Hotel Van Zandt which is right on Rainey st. So look into that if you don't find a airbnb.

Uber and Lyft are no longer in Austin. That's what we used while there so I have no clue how their normal taxi service is.

One must hit for dining is 24 diner. It's near the Wholefoods. Uchi is a highly-rated restaurant if you like sushi etc. There is a fantastic pizza place but I'll have to report back with the name.

I would say dodge 6th street unless you're of college age and want to get sh*t faced. Think of it as bourbon st but with a higher homeless population (just my $.02).

I hear the hiking in Austin is great so if you are into that you will want to rent a car to get you out of the city.
Our AirBNB is in SkyHouse, so we are covered for lodging. Think that location should work pretty well.

Will check out 24 Diner. I have heard several recommendations for Uchi, but as my wife doesn't like sushi that's probably out. More BBQ & tacos instead.

Particular places for hiking? Not sure if we will do that as we leave for Colorado in a week on a trip that will hopefully include plenty of hiking.

Thoughts anyone on Esther's Follies? Had it recommended to me.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 16, 10:32 am

EffinIllini, that thread you linked to was mine.

Random thoughts below...keep in mind that was my first visit to Austin, with my buddies primarily to golf. We didn't sightsee much at all since much of our day was spent golfing.

We stayed an an Airbnb on Bowie St, kitty corner from the Whole Foods. Didn't bother with 6th although it was a few blocks away.

A car is a must since Uber/Lyft is out.

We didn't try Franklin's...didn't have hours to wait in line. We did eat at Rudy's twice...apparently not the best bbq but darn good imo. Tasted even better without a wait.

Uchi is surprisingly good sushi.

We ate at a taco place called Hula Hut down by the river...pretty cool area, packed with people.

With about 2 hours to burn before our departing flight, we went to Mount Bonnell...quick hike with gorgeous views of Austin.
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Supposedly there were some companies, such as Sidekick, that had begun to fill the void left from Uber and Lyft. However, I'd be careful about using them, as Austin PD have been cracking down (since they don't do the background checks that are now required).
If you were staying outside of Austin, you could use Uber or Lyft. Actually, if you're going to the Salt Lick, in theory you could take public transit or a cab out of city limits, then pick up Uber or Lyft. I live in Round Rock, and we still have them.

Will your rental have parking? If so, then I'd probably just rent a vehicle for the whole trip.

If you like swimming, I'd check out Barton Springs. The botanical gardens is nearby. The trails around Lady Bird Lake are good for walking.

I've had some of the best tacos from Torchy's. They have a bunch of locations. I'd avoid peak days/times. It was simply insane back in March after the President visited one of their locations, but things seem to have cooled down a little.

There's some awesome Mexican food, but it is more Tex-Mex style (I moved from Arizona, where it was more Sonoran style).

For pizza, I'd find a little hole-in-the-wall place and try it out. We found one in Round Rock and it is incredible (and cheap!)

Oh, and if you like donuts, you have to visit Round Rock Donuts

Feel free to PM me if you need more specifics.
Old Jul 21, 16, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Supposedly there were some companies, such as Sidekick, that had begun to fill the void left from Uber and Lyft. However, I'd be careful about using them, as Austin PD have been cracking down (since they don't do the background checks that are now required).
If you were staying outside of Austin, you could use Uber or Lyft. Actually, if you're going to the Salt Lick, in theory you could take public transit or a cab out of city limits, then pick up Uber or Lyft. I live in Round Rock, and we still have them.

Will your rental have parking? If so, then I'd probably just rent a vehicle for the whole trip.

If you like swimming, I'd check out Barton Springs. The botanical gardens is nearby. The trails around Lady Bird Lake are good for walking.

I've had some of the best tacos from Torchy's. They have a bunch of locations. I'd avoid peak days/times. It was simply insane back in March after the President visited one of their locations, but things seem to have cooled down a little.

There's some awesome Mexican food, but it is more Tex-Mex style (I moved from Arizona, where it was more Sonoran style).

For pizza, I'd find a little hole-in-the-wall place and try it out. We found one in Round Rock and it is incredible (and cheap!)

Oh, and if you like donuts, you have to visit Round Rock Donuts

Feel free to PM me if you need more specifics.
Thanks. I may touch base with you in a few weeks. Right now scrambling to get things done so I can be on the road this time tomorrow headed to Colorado for a family trip.

Search this Thread