Community
Wiki Posts
Search

flying into IAH late at night, getting rental car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

flying into IAH late at night, getting rental car

we are flying lax iah plane suppose to arrive at 11.45 pm thirifty is open till 12.30 or 1.30 could we make it? also about using toll roads still take cash thanks
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors
Originally Posted by stablemate77
we are flying lax iah plane suppose to arrive at 11.45 pm thirifty is open till 12.30 or 1.30 could we make it? also about using toll roads still take cash thanks
I wouldn't risk it because if you have checked bags you can wait a while. I've waited at IAH at the baggage claim for at least an hour after the plane had landed. I would suggest getting on an earlier flight into Intercontinental. And you either would have to catch a bus or a cab to the Thrifty rental center.
Yes the toll roads do accept cash or exact change. Here are the rates for the toll road.
https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_rates/
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I've faced similar situations at other airports. My advice is to reserve the rental car, but have a back up plan as well, either a second reservation at a rental company that's open later, a taxi, etc. Of course, make sure it's a standard, non pre-pay reservation that you can no-show without penalty.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

thanks for advise

yes i will book a second reservation with 24 hr rental care place we are using our carry on only no checked also will have some coins for tolls we arrive at gate 29 hope not far from rental counter
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
There are large portions of the toll road that are EZ Tag only. That includes BW8 around the east side from the airport to I-45.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
The last time I was in Houston (about 2 years ago), the rental car had a transponder in the rear-view mirror. You had to slide it out to use it, and it didn't register if you kept it in with the mirror. I think it was something that if I used it even once, I'd get charged about $7-8 per day, which covered all tolls. I managed to just use a few roads that took cash.

Here's a map of the Houston area toll roads:
https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_map/...74695798351523

Keep in mind that you can ride free on some HOV lanes on freeways during rush hour, if you have 2+ people in the car, but you'd have to pay outside of rush hour.

Depending where you are going, if Thrifty offers the toll transponder, you might just want to do that, especially if they offer an, "unlimited," plan like Hertz used to. Ask how they handle tolls if they don't explain, as if you, "pay as you go," they'll add on extra fees.

Last year I was renting from a small airport that didn't have 24 Hour rental car coverage. Of course I got stuck on the way, due to weather. I called the local office and explained, and they stayed open for me (we had talked about them leaving the contract/keys in the rental car, but it turned to not be necessary).

I'd get the local number for Thrifty at IAH and call them if you suspect you might be delayed.
As noted, you'll need to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the rental car center.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

thanks all for advise

Originally Posted by aztimm
The last time I was in Houston (about 2 years ago), the rental car had a transponder in the rear-view mirror. You had to slide it out to use it, and it didn't register if you kept it in with the mirror. I think it was something that if I used it even once, I'd get charged about $7-8 per day, which covered all tolls. I managed to just use a few roads that took cash.

Here's a map of the Houston area toll roads:
https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_map/...74695798351523

Keep in mind that you can ride free on some HOV lanes on freeways during rush hour, if you have 2+ people in the car, but you'd have to pay outside of rush hour.

Depending where you are going, if Thrifty offers the toll transponder, you might just want to do that, especially if they offer an, "unlimited," plan like Hertz used to. Ask how they handle tolls if they don't explain, as if you, "pay as you go," they'll add on extra fees.

Last year I was renting from a small airport that didn't have 24 Hour rental car coverage. Of course I got stuck on the way, due to weather. I called the local office and explained, and they stayed open for me (we had talked about them leaving the contract/keys in the rental car, but it turned to not be necessary).

I'd get the local number for Thrifty at IAH and call them if you suspect you might be delayed.
As noted, you'll need to take a shuttle bus from the airport to the rental car center.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

wil go direct lafayette an make circle up threw alexandria and around all la towns to rockdale an austin
Old Feb 3, 2016, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
wil go direct lafayette an make circle up threw alexandria and around all la towns to rockdale an austin
lol wut?
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:05 am

also about using toll roads still take cash thanks
If you're arriving late, I wouldn't bother with toll roads--they're really only useful when traffic is really bad.

Use waze or google maps with toll roads disabled and you'll be fine. If you really insist on using Texas toll roads, then I'd suggest this for the best prices on tolls: https://www.ntta.org/custinfo/rental...s/default.aspx
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
If you are driving between Houston and Austin, it is difficult not to take a toll road, and I have yet to see a toll road in Austin that allows you to pay cash (they could possibly exist, but I haven't seen one).

As noted, if you really don't want to use toll roads, set your GPS to avoid them. But it could possibly add a significant amount of time to your trip.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
I'm not sure about Thrifty, but all of National's cars at IAH come with a toll pass already fixed to the car. It relieves you of the need to worry about going on toll roads, but you do pay a surcharge for every day that you use it.

As noted above, a large part of the Northeastern sector of Beltway 8 is EZTag only, as is the new Grand Parkway (TX 99).

Last edited by Baritone73; Feb 6, 2016 at 8:10 am Reason: Corrected airport code.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all help

Originally Posted by Baritone73
I'm not sure about Thrifty, but all of National's cars at IAH come with a toll pass already fixed to the car. It relieves you of the need to worry about going on toll roads, but you do pay a surcharge for every day that you use it.

As noted above, a large part of the Northeastern sector of Beltway 8 is EZTag only, as is the new Grand Parkway (TX 99).
we are going Lafayette 2 nts and too natchagotes and nacadotches for 3rd night and rockdale to Austin and Houston for return.....see some family in Alexandria la sooo get car an pay a lot less for gas here in calif
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:14 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by aztimm
If you are driving between Houston and Austin, it is difficult not to take a toll road, and I have yet to see a toll road in Austin that allows you to pay cash (they could possibly exist, but I haven't seen one).

As noted, if you really don't want to use toll roads, set your GPS to avoid them. But it could possibly add a significant amount of time to your trip.
i've been to austin a dozen times driving from houston and i never used a toll road, although i've been tempted to try tx130

mind you i started in dt houston and i ended up in dt houston so maybe there's something i'm missing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.