Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Best transportation method from IAH to HOU

Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb

I have a flight going into IAH and need to catch another flight with another airline via HOU. What's the best method of getting from one airport to the other.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
How much time do you have?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors
You should use Uber. From George Bush going on I-45 is horrible during rush hour because it can get down to two lanes. FYI if you use Uber you will need to use a credit card. Do not use Metro that will take forever especially during rush hour. From Bush to Hobby it will probbably take about an hour if no traffic
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
+1 for Uber.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by xxwerftxx
Do not use Metro that will take forever especially during rush hour.
Yes, transfer downtown, and easy close to 3 hours.

I've used SuperShuttle in the past, probably cheaper than Uber, but haven't done it in a few years.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA EXP, WN Comp Pass, Hertz Pres. Circle
+1 Uber
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by imprezu
I have a flight going into IAH and need to catch another flight with another airline via HOU. What's the best method of getting from one airport to the other.
While you can take an Uber, definitely take a look at rental car pricing.

On the weekend, it looks like it's less than $30 with tax to rent a car between the two.

It's $34-45 between the two with UberX when there isn't surge pricing. If you're really tight on time though, I wouldn't bother with the time it takes to make it out to the rental car center and just book it to Hobby.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:30 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i nominate metro assuming you have no more than 1 carryon + 1 personal item + 1 xl carry on bag

$1.25 all in and it'll get you there in 2-3 hours

comfortable and well climate controlled and bag storage under the bus for bags

and only one very easy transfer too

i dunno why people are saying metro will take forever when metro uses the hot lanes and zips past the gridlock.

i've taken the 40 and 50 along traffic between dt and hou and there are seldom delays once the bus gets past the 59 underpass traffic near the toyota center

eitherway checkit

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Ge...29.6542467!3e3
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Even as moderator of Budget Travel I'm not sure I'd suggest that. Those buses run through some sketchy neighborhoods, and even I would probably would not take them at night.

If you have the time it sounds like a cheap way to go, but certainly not for everyone @:-)
Old Mar 8, 2016, 4:18 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Even as moderator of Budget Travel I'm not sure I'd suggest that. Those buses run through some sketchy neighborhoods, and even I would probably would not take them at night.

If you have the time it sounds like a cheap way to go, but certainly not for everyone @:-)
i have no idea what you mean

i'm white collar and i took this bus into downtowntown every two weeks for a year and pocketed taxi per diem. comfortable bus, smooth ride, air conditioned to s--- and while not on time, it was extremely reliable

yes the 102 goes thru gunspoint but the third worlder in me scoffs at thinking taking metro in a first world city is dangerous and not to be suggested, especially in a budget traveler forum

i left check bags in the cargo hold and napped in the back and guess what, every time my stuff was still there when i hit milam and texas

metro suffers significantly due to mere stigmatization

and btw the 40 and 50 run 2 blocks from my house in eastwood

i'd love to take you for the best breakfast tacos and ice houses

Last edited by cur; Mar 8, 2016 at 4:24 pm
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Originally Posted by cur
i have no idea what you mean

i'm white collar and i took this bus into downtowntown every two weeks for a year and pocketed taxi per diem. comfortable bus, smooth ride, air conditioned to s--- and while not on time, it was extremely reliable

yes the 102 goes thru gunspoint but the third worlder in me scoffs at thinking taking metro in a first world city is dangerous and not to be suggested, especially in a budget traveler forum...i'd love to take you for the best breakfast tacos and ice houses
I'm a fan of taking Metro home from a long trip when I don't want to leave my car in parking (and arriving during the day ). The IAH Express is anything but express because it takes you on an ~45min-1hr tour of the ghetto before it hits I-45. After that it's easy, I hop on the light rail, then get on a bus that drops me 1 minute from my front door. For $1.25 it can't be beat. It's tough to take the 102 to the airport because it has questionable on time %s and doesn't run super often.

The 102 inbound to downtown is usually occupied by harmless low wage workers commuting to downtown or the med center.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I've taken the 102 the full route to IAH and back probably 100 times. I can count on one hand the number of times it was late.

I've taken the 50/88 from downtown to Hobby and the 73 from either Greenway or the Fannin Rail station a few dozen times. Same. Those routes run a local transit coach (unlike the 102, which is normally an MCI highway motorcoach).

Neither traverse a sketchy part of town. It's just they are parts of town with low-income non-whites. Many interpret that as quite scary. The only time I was exposed to violent crime in Houston was in a wealthy area of Spring.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
The only time I was exposed to violent crime in Houston was in a wealthy area of Spring.
I really hope your definition of wealthy is relative to Spring... as in they have a ratio of 1 vehicle per adult IME nobody lives in Spring unless they can't afford to live in a real part of Houston.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I really hope your definition of wealthy is relative to Spring... as in they have a ratio of 1 vehicle per adult IME nobody lives in Spring unless they can't afford to live in a real part of Houston.
It was in a neighborhood of 4-6,000 sq foot homes with three car garages. That's wealthy by nearly every definition.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
It was in a neighborhood of 4-6,000 sq foot homes with three car garages. That's wealthy by nearly every definition.
True enough! Thankfully the last time I had to venture to that bastion of hellish suburbs was a couple years ago.

I remember having to go to a partner's Xmas party in The Woodlands (this is when I was in Big 4). It was like the X'th ring of hell. Not only did it take 2.5 hrs to get there from downtown Houston, but he lived in the far end of the Woodlands, aka the very far end from I-45. F that. If it takes me more than an hour to get home with no traffic, I'm not going. That's my new rule.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.